Taking a break

feedback, questions and discussion relating to the Complete BBC Games Archive (beta site now open!)
pau1ie

Taking a break

Post by pau1ie » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:03 pm

The recent discussion kicked off by Sunrise has made me decide I need to take a break from contributing.

I thought I was creating something with input from the community. The tone of that thread seemed to be that an unnamed group had the right to manage the work that others were doing. So rather than working as part of a community (Which is a fun hobby for me), maybe I was working for free for a group that I don't know and whose aims I might not agree with. (Which doesn't sound like fun to me). Also, since I don't know who they are I won't be able to influence them. To an extent I feel taken advantage of.

I feel the website is in a good place. To move forward something would have to change along the lines Sunrise was suggesting. There is clearly not an appetite for that. People who claim some kind of management role but aren't prepared to do the work themselves also aren't prepared to let anyone else do so. They would argue they wanted wait for a discussion. As that discussion never materialised, work can never start. I think these people are well meaning, and want what they consider to be best, but haven't considered the effect on others.

I have thought this through and made my decision. No doubt there will be replies which I expect I will read, but I won't reply to.

I hope things will change so I can contribute again once I have had the break I feel I need.

OneSwitch

Re: Taking a break

Post by OneSwitch » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:30 pm

I don't know the full flow of this, but wanted to say that bbcmicro.co.uk is an amazing thing. Thanks to you, the emulator line of work and all who've built it up. It's a wonderful repository and I love the filtering methods. Brilliant.

From a personal view point, it would be fantastic to see some special needs games added (stuff for blind kids, learning disabilities, physical disabilities etc.). To want to add everything ever written. Blimey... I'd also be very protective of such a thing. Hope things will keep developing though down the road.
Last edited by OneSwitch on Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tricky

Post by tricky » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:01 pm

I'm sorry to hear how you feel.
I hadn't read the thread in quite the same way as you, but i am in a very different position.
At first I wanted bbcmicro to have everything, but as I wasn't volunteering to do it, I didn't feel that I had any right to push it.
I now think that what was done was best.
I was worried about adding an educational section without input from flax cottage.
Personally, I would say build something separate not including games, see how it goes and then see what the community feels about it.
Again, as I'm not offering to do the work, please feel free to ignore me.
I just hate to see members being upset.

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:39 am

tricky wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:01 pm
I'm sorry to hear how you feel.
I just hate to see members being upset.
Likewise! It's worth bearing in mind that what might feel like consensus, or a group decision, might actually just be one person expressing an opinion. There's a risk that a poster who is frequent, or emphatic, or persistent, or eloquent, will have the appearance of having authority.

The bbcmicro site is excellent, and I thank everyone who has had input into it or made contributions.

It might be that any large change or addition is best done as a sister site - but I don't know the ins and outs of the possible changes. (My comment elsewhere about how wikis function might have been open to misinterpretation... I was trying to say that some database designs are robust against changes and can admit multiple contributors with low risk, and other designs might be more sensitive and demand more caution when allowing contributions.)

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:55 am

bbcmicro.co.uk is a great site. Well done, sir! =D> =D>

Have a good rest, you've deserved it.
- John

davidb

Post by davidb » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:16 am

It's easy to take things for granted when they just work, so I'd like to say thanks for putting in the effort to make bbcmicro.co.uk what it is today. :) And thanks to the others who have contributed to that in one way or another.

I hope it inspires others to make similar sites for the Electron and the Atom!

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:55 am

Sorry to hear about the upset.

I'm trying to write something useful about the thread but failing miserably. I don't think anyone had malicious intentions ... just different perceptions and goals and concerns ... :-#

A break is good so hopefully you recharge your batteries. Go and play in the high-score challenge; I'm easy to beat!

gidandridge

Post by gidandridge » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:16 pm

davidb wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:16 am
It's easy to take things for granted when they just work, so I'd like to say thanks for putting in the effort to make bbcmicro.co.uk what it is today. :) And thanks to the others who have contributed to that in one way or another.
I second that! Just wanted to say what an amazing resource bbcmicro.co.uk is and thank you to all involved. =D>

Gavin.
Gav.

BBC Model B Sidewise ROM Board, GoSDC, Datacentre, Hybrid Music 5000
Acorn Electron Plus 1, AP6, GoSDC, Slogger Pegasus 400

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:29 pm

pau1ie wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:03 pm
The recent discussion kicked off by Sunrise has made me decide I need to take a break from contributing.
I first wish to thank you for all your hard work. The site is excellent and being a major contributor, a lot of that is down to you. So well done =D> =D> =D>

Secondly, I think you are misinterpreting what was said in that other thread. Some long standing members here saw change as a threat and just wanted to slow the perceived speed down while they waited to see what else would be said by other forum members. Partly because they themselves are substantial contributors and after putting in a lot of effort, preferred to be risk-averse. After all, with such a great site, no one would want it to get accidentally broken or the objective diluted too much. The site has definitely met the objective set for it.
pau1ie wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:03 pm
I thought I was creating something with input from the community. The tone of that thread seemed to be that an unnamed group had the right to manage the work that others were doing. So rather than working as part of a community (Which is a fun hobby for me), maybe I was working for free for a group that I don't know and whose aims I might not agree with. (Which doesn't sound like fun to me). Also, since I don't know who they are I won't be able to influence them. To an extent I feel taken advantage of.
There is no unnamed group. The site was Dave’s (Arcadian’s) idea (Dave is one of the people who set up this forum). Then various StarDot members have helped out in various ways. I’m sure all StarDot members are very grateful for all the work that has gone into this. I know I am.

If you feel you need to take a break, please do so. But I do hope that when you are ready, you will return. I most certainly do not want you to feel used. If it is no longer fun, then that’s not right.

In any event, I wish you good luck and happiness now and in the future :)

Mark
Last edited by 1024MAK on Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barbarossa69

Post by barbarossa69 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:49 am

I'd just like to say the bbcmicro.co.uk games archive is a phenomenal achievement and I'd like to thank everyone involved in creating this amazing games archive, it's brought back a lot of memories for me.

It sounds like you were a big part of that, so you have my appreciation for what you've done for the site and the community as a whole.

marcusjambler

Post by marcusjambler » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:45 pm

bbcmicro.co.uk is a great web site...
I use it regularly... Many thanks to everyone who contributed their time and effort to make it happen =D>

Marcus