Level 9

feedback, questions and discussion relating to the Complete BBC Games Archive (beta site now open!)
Vlodec

Level 9

Post by Vlodec » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:42 am

To my great joy I've just discovered the BBC games archive. Now, hopefully I can play Level 9 again. Unfortunately I've hit a snag. When I try to save the game it simply freezes, but if instead I just leave it, long enough to go do something else, then it also freezes.

What's the solution? Is there one?

lurkio

Re: Level 9

Post by lurkio » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:51 am

Vlodec wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:42 am
To my great joy I've just discovered the BBC games archive. Now, hopefully I can play Level 9 again. Unfortunately I've hit a snag. When I try to save the game it simply freezes, but if instead I just leave it, long enough to go do something else, then it also freezes. What's the solution? Is there one?
Would you mind linking to the specific game you're trying to play?

Can you say how you're playing it? Are you using the online in-browser emulator on the bbcmicro.co.uk website? Or have you downloaded the disc-image and loaded it into an emulator such as BeebEm on your desktop/laptop computer?

:?:

Vlodec

Post by Vlodec » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:55 am

Sorry, I didn't give nearly enough information, I ought to know better.

The game is Worm in Paradise. I'm playing it on a PC running Windows 10, direct from the website. If there's an emulator, I didn't know about it. I use Chrome, is there an extension?

Vlodec

Post by Vlodec » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:21 am

OK, found it. Sorry to have troubled anyone.

I feel such a fool...............

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:32 am

Vlodec wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:21 am
OK, found it. Sorry to have troubled anyone.
No worries!

Worm In Paradise only saves to cassette tape, so if you want to use the original in-game save facility, you'll have to download the disc-image and play it in BeebEm: but even then you'd have to load a new blank tape-image into BeebEm first...

So it's probably easier to use BeebEm's "Save State" feature (in the "File" menu) to save the state of the entire Beeb virtual-machine to your PC's hard disk, whenever you want to save your game.

:idea:

Btw, here's a beta release of an updated version of BeebEm:
Last edited by lurkio on Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.