Feedback, memories & suggestions

feedback, comments and suggestions pertaining to the *. forums
PJ-Firestorm

Feedback, memories & suggestions

Post by PJ-Firestorm » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:00 pm

Well, seeing as just about everyone - myself included - raids sites such as this fine one for all possible downloads (and then usually abandons it for months on end!), I thought I'd at least leave some appreciative feedback.

I was born in 1978, so the early Beebs were literally just coming in as I started school. A couple of years later, my Dad picked up a second-hand one from a colleague (B+, which refused to play a few classics, such as Castle Quest, until we eventually installed a little do-hickey that turned the machine into a basic B at the flick of a switch). So I guess you can say I literally grew up with BBC Acorn computers. They spanned my school-life, just about being pensioned off at the end of my school years in the early/mid 90s.

STH gives chance to relive all those (well, most of those ;) classics from the more innocent computer age, when programmes were written smarter & tidier to push the limited resources to the max, and when, games-wise, imagination was an essential ingredient (have I turned into a salesman here?). I kept hold of my faithful old Beeb, landing a few more as the years passed as they were thrown out from various workplaces; but it's SO much work to go up in the roof, unearth them, dust them off... STH lets me play those old classics at the click of a "download zip" link; as well as play (for evaluation purposes, of course), those elusive titles that were rumoured to exist but, in my neck of the woods at least, were never seen.

A couple of suggestions for future site updates/revamps: Maybe each title could have a "if you like this game, also recommended is..." list of similar games, to help find titles of similar appeal (would be very good with text adventures, puzzlers, etc), and to help memory-jog when trying to find those titles more covered in the dusts of time.

Secondly, if you wanted to get REALLY fancy, maybe have a form for short reviews of each title, for comments on game-play, how it's fared the test of time, etc. I'd love to submit a few of these.

Well, that's my ramble over with now. I'm toying between whether trying to start one last attempt to finish Repton 2, or to just hook myself up to the mains and save the agro. =)
-j-

Lloyd Mangram

Post by Lloyd Mangram » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:25 pm

The 'View Posts since last visit' doesn't seem to be working properly, as I get a load of the 'EZBoard' threads coming up every time.

Other than that, I'm really glad you changed over to this style of forum! :)
From Little Acorns...

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:22 pm

Thanks for all your words of encouragement, they're appreciated! :D
PJ-Firestorm wrote:if you wanted to get REALLY fancy, maybe have a form for short reviews of each title, for comments on game-play, how it's fared the test of time, etc. I'd love to submit a few of these.
That's be cool, I just wish I had the programming skills to code such a feature (a la Lemon64 or CPCZone). Hey, I don't suppose there are any PHP-gurus out there who'd be willing to lend a hand?!
Lloyd Mangram wrote:The 'View Posts since last visit' doesn't seem to be working properly, as I get a load of the 'EZBoard' threads coming up every time.
There seems to have been one or two hickups with the EZboard conversion script (e.g. some of the converted posts appear as if they were made in the future!) though it just about did its job. I might try and re-convert the posts at a later date, which might fix the problem you are having.

garfield

Re: Feedback, memories & suggestions

Post by garfield » Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:41 am

PJ-Firestorm wrote:B+, which refused to play a few classics, such as Castle Quest
Does anyone know why the BPlus didn't run Castle Quest? Was it some Model-B-specific direct hardware addressing, or some 'illegal' opcodes found only in the 6502 variant found in Model-Bs? Thanks.

Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:08 pm

I know many old games didn't work because they naughtily used a multiplication look-up table in the OS ROM that changed positions in the OS ROM used by the B+.

ISTR Kevin Edwards and Roland Waddilove explained about this in their "Writing Machine Code Games" articles in "The Micro User".