PM system, when is it activated for new users?

feedback, comments and suggestions pertaining to the *. forums
keropi

PM system, when is it activated for new users?

Post by keropi » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:16 pm

Hiya!

I have a question about the PM system - for new users like me when it is activated?
Should I ask for it to be enabled?
I wanted to ask this privately to the admin team but I can't even PM them...
thanks!

MartinB

Re: PM system, when is it activated for new users?

Post by MartinB » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:25 pm

Normally, after 25 posts but if you can show that you're an all-round good egg, the admins will enable your PM's early in response to a heart-felt request on here..... :wink:

keropi

Post by keropi » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:43 pm

ah , thanks for clarifying that MartinB I was wondering what the deal was :D

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:19 pm

You can ask for PMs to be enabled by using the Contact us link (envelope icon) at the bottom of every page. This notifies the admin’s.

The reason that it is disabled by default, is due to past problems with spammers misusing it.

Mark

keropi

Post by keropi » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:21 pm

yes totally understandable
thanks 1024MAK

danielj

Post by danielj » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:44 pm

Enabled for you!

keropi

Post by keropi » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:19 pm

danielj wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:44 pm
Enabled for you!
indeed it is now, thanks! :mrgreen:

wiss

Post by wiss » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:42 am

Is there any way to send a pm without selling my soul to the devil? I'm not a spammer, I swear.

sydney

Post by sydney » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:34 am

To get private messages enabled you must make 25 posts or ask an admin to enable them for you. You'd usually need a reason to have them enabled before 25 posts and have made at least some posts to the forum.
I'm not a spammer, I swear.
They all say that! :lol:

danielj

Post by danielj » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:35 am

We accept souls, visa and mastercard.

PMs are activated after 25 posts or if we can see that someone is genuinely requiring them activated for a transaction.

We are very unlikely to activate them for someone whose first post is asking for them to be activated.

d.

wiss

Post by wiss » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:48 am

I have already composed a 255 character long essay on Acorn computers as required. I have solved the puzzle conerning the logo of our favourite well-known computer company (hint: it is not about the file system tree, as I thought). I have recieved the approval of the administator. I have activated my email. I have found out why the private messages don't work. I have written to the administrator using the Contact Us form. And I finally have posted here. And now you tell me there's something more?

Yes, I can explain whom and why I want to reach. Can I do it by the Contact Us form? Do you check it?

Or may I just type 25 meaningless messages in a row in some off-topic thread?

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:14 pm

How about posting to the public intro yourself board?

See here viewforum.php?f=13

wiss

Post by wiss » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:33 pm

I'm not sure I'm famous enough to fill 25 22 posts long autobiography.

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:56 pm

wiss wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:33 pm
I'm not sure I'm famous enough to fill 25 22 posts long autobiography.
It’s not about just making 25 meaningless posts. It’s about being part of a community. And the suggestion was for you to start by introducing yourself and your activity with Acorn and/or other home computers over the years (talking about other ‘rival’ machines will not be held against you). Not to flood the one area of the forum with lots of posts.

If you want to get your post count up in a respectable way, read what other members have posted about and reply. So you could say hello to other recent joiners. If you are in game playing mode, take part in the hi-score challenge. Maybe get involved or ask questions in the hardware area. Or get involved in the other areas of the forums.

And as has already been said, if you have a good reason and you have shown some interaction on the forums, the admin team will consider any requests for PM rights to be activated earlier.

And currently, you should be able to receive PMs from existing members.

Most forums have had to take increasing measures because they are under increasing volumes of attack from spammers and hacking attacks.

Mark

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:07 pm

It is also important to read through this thread.

Mark

wiss

Post by wiss » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:11 pm

I'm from another community, but I have found something of mutual interest here. And I need to reach a member of your community via pm. As I said, I can explain the details to the admins if it is required.

If it's impossble, then your community is completely isolated from the outside world. There's no communication. All the doors are nailed up.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:02 pm

Well I dont know who you or after or what you are after unless you post an intro (as I am not an admin) but there is also the Facebook group

'Acorn Computer and BBC Micro Enthusiasts'

Maybe the person/interest is also there?

danielj

Post by danielj » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:08 pm

wiss wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:11 pm
I'm from another community, but I have found something of mutual interest here. And I need to reach a member of your community via pm. As I said, I can explain the details to the admins if it is required.

If it's impossble, then your community is completely isolated from the outside world. There's no communication. All the doors are nailed up.
Please just post in the thread of interest then, quoting the person you wish to respond. This is a community message board, the private messaging system isn't really its raison d'etre. That way there can be plenty of communication :)

sydney

Post by sydney » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:10 pm

wiss wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:11 pm
Why not simply make a thread about the mutually interesting thing you have found, or reply in a thread if it already exists? You have made no attempt to engage in the community other than to ask for PM access or complain about the fact you can't have it. This is a community forum first and foremost, not a private messaging service. If we were to give pm access to everyone who asked for it we'd be overrun with spammers and users complaining about the spam.
I'm sorry but that is complete nonesense. Indivduals are required contribute to the community by communicating before being given pm access. No doors are nailed up they are simply raised high enough to need a small pile of posts to gain access.

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:19 pm

I hope you'll see, @wiss, that this is a friendly place. Lots of help, lots of sharing. Just join in, show us you're a friendly person by being a friendly person. Tell us about the other community too - that's OK.

wiss

Post by wiss » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:24 am

Never mind. I found him on other site, wrote I want to exchange some files, but he had left the conversation without a word.

Maybe this level of paranoia is good against spammers, but it completely cuts off all the opportunities.

danielj

Post by danielj » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:52 am

We're struggling to see the opportunities for the community that are missed vs people who haven't been harassed by PM. So far this is the only complaint we've ever had. As such we'll be treating it as a a statistical outlier.