Suggestion: Cheats, maps, tips, trainers and the like

feedback, comments and suggestions pertaining to the *. forums
AndyF

Suggestion: Cheats, maps, tips, trainers and the like

Post by AndyF » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:45 pm

A thought occurred earlier to a few weeks ago but I never got around to posting it.

Would a new forum for game maps, cheats (either manual listings or maybe ready made versions) , tips etc be an idea ?

I have a vague idea of something along the lines of a single topic/thread for each game in question and the author of that adds what they want be it a map or a cheat etc.

If say a few weeks later someone has more tips for that they (instead of starting a new topic) add to the existing one, easily found via a search. I guess a tiny bit of reporting would be needed where someone would post a new topic instead of checking first but I'd suspect that would not really happen too often.

I am aware of the cheats on the main site page however something here that is easily added to would be much easier for members to contribute to.

Just would be nice to have a ' one stop ' place for all things 'game assistance' related.

Any thoughts on this ? Good / Bad / Other ? :)
Last edited by AndyF on Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

* NEW * The Jetset Willy and Manic Miner community :)

Adventure games ported across to the BBC (in progress) as soon as I can find some time!

rmbrowngr

Re: Suggestion: Cheats, maps, tips, trainers and the like

Post by rmbrowngr » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:55 am

Sounds like a good idea to me.
Richard B
Acorn Electron (Issue 4 Motherboard)
Acorn Plus 1, AP6, AP5
BeebSCSI, GoSDC

pau1ie

Post by pau1ie » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:47 am

I think something like this was discussed with respect to the bbcmicro.co.uk website. It would be nice to be able to click from there to a discussion about each game. It wasn't possible to do without plugins, and the amazing people who run the forum don't like using plugins because they have caused issues with upgrades in the past. I thought it might be worth mentioning in case things have changed since.
I'm working on http://bbcmicro.co.uk

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:00 am

:) I can't see any need for a plugin or three to do this. They would be standard topics.

The only slight annoyance may be if say there were a few topics and someone did not search to check if said game already had a topic and created a new one, a mod would have to merge it into the existing one.

It was only a random thought anyway! :) :) Its OK 'as is' , I was merely thinking a "one stop shop" for anything such as you want a map or a poke/cheat/help with "game x" , you head to that forum and check.

Its obviously going to depend on who bothers to contribute though.

EDIT... I did give this thought a while back on doing it myself however I just do not have enough time to take on a smidgen more unfortunately. Software relateed (web) resources are not the concern. I can't create 'free time' :D

EDIT...2 For reasons of pure sanity it would be necessary to order the topics in that "cheats" forum via alphanumerics *not* via 'last post' or 'start date' otherwise it would get very messy, the fact that a users post might not appear on the first page is not relevant as at least you could simply see the listing. I may actually when I get time later whip up some mock screenshots, over the weekend.
Last edited by AndyF on Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Andy

* NEW * The Jetset Willy and Manic Miner community :)

Adventure games ported across to the BBC (in progress) as soon as I can find some time!