High Score Challenge - S4 - R2 - BirdStrike

post your own high scores or enter our challenge competitions
KarateEd

Re: High Score Challenge - S4 - R2 - BirdStrike

Post by KarateEd » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:40 am

Yes, I tend to agree.... boredom could play a factor in this game for low scores....I think most would have the skills to get to the buggy area if they could stay focussed....

Any luck with the debugging yet?

Ed......:-)

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:54 am

KarateEd wrote:Any luck with the debugging yet?
I've got through the first hundred lines of thousands.

Run EXMON, turn on print (H), disassemble (I've got my Beebem printing to console), and then using the Advanced User Guide to work out what is going on, line by line, call by call.

Got to the stage where it goes into MODE 2, and does VDU 26. It will take a long time to work out the game logic, let alone find a bug that occurs after many minutes of play.

There's a saying about needing to be twice as clever to debug code as being clever enough to write it in the first place, and I've never written a m/c game (or even a BASIC one, for that matter!) :-k

So don't wait for me!

Will have to be the best score before it crashes, I guess?

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:27 pm

richardtoohey wrote:So don't wait for me!

Will have to be the best score before it crashes, I guess?
Don't worry Richard, I know it would be a miracle to resolve this before we finish playing the round.

Best score immediately after crash it is, we don't seem to have a choice....

chrisn

Post by chrisn » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:47 pm

I've had a couple of games today, and the bug does appear to be linked to the number of rounds completed. The first visible glitch consistently appears at the start of round 13 (the 4th biplane round) - the bullet stuck at the top centre of the screen.
birdstrike-bug.png
Corruption of the cloud graphic appears on the next round, and the bird glitch starts from round 17 (the 5th biplane round).

I also got a score over 60,000 and caused the game to crash, but the screen filled with "Mistake" and "Bad program" errors, so I can't post a score! :evil:

I've disassembled the code and I'm having a go at figuring it out, but haven't got far yet... :?

Not sure how useful it is, but here's a BeebEm save state file at the end of round 12.
birdstrike-level13.zip
(31.72 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
Chris

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:18 am

High Score Tables Updated......

Ed.......:-)

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:30 pm

Ok, bumped my score a bit but with the bug in it, it is a frustrating game....67,460

Attachments
BS6.JPG

MatthewThompson

Post by MatthewThompson » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:06 pm

Best score so far, think that will be it as it's not the most inspiring game to play.
Attachments
bird1.jpg

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:54 pm

One thing I really appreciate is that we have such great gamers on this site that if there are bugs, they will be found.

We also have great programmers that can often solve the difficulty quite quickly. This one will be a bit more of a challenge I think, simply because the problem is likely happening in the MC section of the program.

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:57 pm

High Score Tables Updated......

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:10 am

KarateEd wrote:This one will be a bit more of a challenge I think, simply because the problem is likely happening in the MC section of the program.
It's also an INSANELY busy time of year ... trying to get everything done by the end of the year (work, chores, Christmas stuff, prep for hols, end-of-term stuff, etc., etc., etc.!)

It's such a small program - lots of the space taken up by the graphics - but there's still a lot to get through. I want to, but time ...

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:18 pm

richardtoohey wrote:
KarateEd wrote:This one will be a bit more of a challenge I think, simply because the problem is likely happening in the MC section of the program.
It's also an INSANELY busy time of year ... trying to get everything done by the end of the year (work, chores, Christmas stuff, prep for hols, end-of-term stuff, etc., etc., etc.!)

It's such a small program - lots of the space taken up by the graphics - but there's still a lot to get through. I want to, but time ...
Totally understood....this time of year is so busy for people.....it really doesn't matter for this round and this game right now.... it's a bug that can be worked on well after the round is over anyway.... at least it's been found there's a bug and now *. can once again come to the rescue when time permits.....

Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:04 am

Is the bug in Bird Strike a result of a bad disc hack or does it exist when playing via the uef image or by original tape on a real BBC B.
Just asking as if the game is OK on tape and uef then it may just be a error with the hack and a new hack should then sort the problem rather than spending time looking through the code?

Maybe we should play every game and see what pops up as there may be more faults that we don't know about, but can be fixed via the knowledge of the forum members.

regards,
Mick.

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:09 pm

Michael Brown wrote:Is the bug in Bird Strike a result of a bad disc hack or does it exist when playing via the uef image or by original tape on a real BBC B.
Just asking as if the game is OK on tape and uef then it may just be a error with the hack and a new hack should then sort the problem rather than spending time looking through the code?

Maybe we should play every game and see what pops up as there may be more faults that we don't know about, but can be fixed via the knowledge of the forum members.

regards,
Mick.
I can say I'm playing this game on a real Beeb but don't know the history of the game as to making it readily available as an ssd. If someone has it in the uef format could they 1/ Give it a try and 2/ Get a really high score to test it... :twisted:

I think this Challenge Forum will eventually allow us to play all the games to a level that will expose any bugs. There are some good gamers on this site so time will tell.

To find the bugs in these games usually means to get a really good score.... but sometimes bugs show up even earlier in games....

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:32 pm

KarateEd wrote:don't know the history of the game as to making it readily available as an ssd. If someone has it in the uef format could they 1/ Give it a try and 2/ Get a really high score to test it...
Bird Strike and most Firebird/BT titles where a 'stream' loader, and a tune played while loading the 'stream' /main part.
Here is the original tape CSW rip by me:
http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... 986#p56781
not .uefHQ though, as it would not do it :( , and can't get it to play out my laptop to beeb when converted from .CSW to .WAV either :evil: but does work from the original .WAV

So, was never released on a commercial disc....
ImageImageImage

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:55 pm

Hi Col,

So how do load this into either a Beeb or an emulator?

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:53 pm

Hi Ed,
It won't work on a real beeb, unless I upload the original 60mb :shock: .WAV file to play out laptop/etc to beeb ear socket.
It only works on bEm22, by:
Settings>Model>BBC B w
Tape>Load tape>(point to birdStrikeB.CSW)
then type, *T., CH.""

I never seen the err BITD, but then I was not trying to take the game to the utter extreme limits!
ImageImageImage

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:32 am

Hi Folks,

The holiday season is upon us.

Let's take a break until after the New Year celebrations, let's say starting on January 5th, 9:00 PM.

Please let me know if that is ok with everyone.

Thanks,

steve3000

Post by steve3000 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:42 am

I really couldn't get into this game, so it's a lowly 10780 from me.
bs1.png

steve3000

Post by steve3000 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:44 am

KarateEd wrote:Let's take a break until after the New Year celebrations, let's say starting on January 5th, 9:00 PM.
Sounds good, thanks for the hard work keeping the challenge running so smoothly over the past year :)

MatthewThompson

Post by MatthewThompson » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:57 pm

Not had a chance to have a real bash at this game until now and just in time with a much improved score.

Happy to take a break over the Christmas period, won't have much time to play anyway.
Attachments
BS1.jpg

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:30 am

Final High Score Tables For This Round Updated......

Congratulations to....ummm, errr, ahem..... well....choke, gasp....uhhh....well, can't do it, especially on a poorly programmed game....sigh....... :shock:

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:02 am

Ladies and Gentlemen, please put your hands together for the winner of Round 2, Season 4,

Ed

=D> =D> =D>

Fireworks, drums, loud music, etc.

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:22 am

ah, thank you Richard....

Ok, I'd like to thank my parents, brother and sister, my wife, all you good people and the.....oh...this isn't the Academy?...oh dear, what have I done?.....well...ok....

I think the next game will prove to have far less bugs as we know the programmer.... (I know the game but I'll be fair and not play it until everyone knows).