Choice of emulator for the high score challenges

post your own high scores or enter our challenge competitions
Venger

Choice of emulator for the high score challenges

Post by Venger » Sat May 25, 2019 3:36 pm

I'm looking to start playing the high score challenges but I only have an Electron emulator at the moment (ElectrEm). I know one of the rules is that you play the standard BBC B version of the games though. In light of that, what's the best emulator for me to use?

Thanks in advance.

sydney

Re: Choice of emulator for the high score challenges

Post by sydney » Sat May 25, 2019 3:57 pm

I find beebem the easiest to use.
Last edited by sydney on Sat May 25, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Venger

Post by Venger » Sat May 25, 2019 4:08 pm

sydney wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 3:57 pm
I find beebem the easiest to use.
Thanks, I'll try that one then. It'll be interesting to see the difference between Electron versions of games and the BBC versions. I expect the BBC versions will be faster and won't have garbage along the bottom where the Electron struggled with memory issues.

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Sat May 25, 2019 6:46 pm

I tend to use BeebEm too most of the time. I do occasionally fire up B-Em too, as that offers a ModelA mode easily. More accurately I suppose I mean when I want to use it as a 16K machine!
Andy

* NEW * The Jetset Willy and Manic Miner community :)

Adventure games ported across to the BBC (in progress) as soon as I can find some time!

Venger

Post by Venger » Sat May 25, 2019 7:39 pm

I never really played BBC games unless I was in school. My junior school had a BBC around a year before I left in 1985 and my comprehensive had a few too. They had a few in the college library when I was doing my A Levels but they didn't have games on unless they were educational (Mickey's Magic Mixture and L - A Mathemagical Adventure).

I'll crack on with downloading BeebEm and see if I can get a few games of Impact in. I had it for the Electron back in the day but I was never brilliant at it.

Venger

Post by Venger » Sat May 25, 2019 8:34 pm

All downloaded and up and running now :). One more question though; can I jump in at any round on the high score challenge? I notice it's on round 9 already, but what I don't know is whether you have to start at round 1? I don't want to jump in and submit a high score for this round if I had to join in at the beginning.

klintworth

Post by klintworth » Sat May 25, 2019 9:20 pm

Jump in anyway and get a feel for how the HSC all works! Then you'll be all set for when the next season starts which will come round soon. That's what I did and it worked well. Always good to have new people playing! And Impact is a great game - it's fun to try all different types of games :D
BBC B Issue 4 & 7, BBC B (USA), BBC Master, Electron, BBC Master Compact, A7000+(Castle Peak Performer)

Venger

Post by Venger » Sat May 25, 2019 10:25 pm

Ok, will do :D . Doing high score challenges takes me back to when I was a kid and we'd go round each other's houses and play on different computers (Speccy, C64 and Electron).