Bad news for all game players!

post your own high scores or enter our challenge competitions
Wouter Scholten

Bad news for all game players!

Post by Wouter Scholten » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:02 pm

I have bad news for all of you, on this page about the Donkey kong record:

http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.nl/2011/ ... story.html

there is an insightful comment:
I can't believe that you all have proven that animals are smarter than men. Even they are smarte enough to use their time in a better way. BILLY MICHELL: GET A LIFE. YOU LOOSER.
Yes, in a way it's true, everyone who plays games is more stupid than any animal!

Still, that can be said about almost any activity in life we do :)

The background there strengthens my dislike for twingalaxies and esp. the main guy 'Day'. I mentioned this in the rules thread (my view came from 1 comment of that 'Day' guy, which was that Wiebe redeemed himself (BS, he didn't do anything wrong), and from a single specific comment I can usually analyse the main traits of a person...). Here it is clear this was correct, he was not impartial. Also interesting is at the end of the highest scoring game the player lost his remaining lives on purpose for the maximum score by being able to redo a level...

crj

Re: Bad news for all game players!

Post by crj » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:08 pm

Douglas Adams wrote:For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:45 pm

I still maintain that, given the results of our actions and inactions, there is no way that an independent outside party would ever consider humans to be the most intelligent beings on this planet.

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:23 am

Intelligence and common sense / self-preservation don’t necessarily go hand in hand...
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
BBC Master

Wouter Scholten

Post by Wouter Scholten » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:57 pm

Lardo Boffin wrote:Intelligence and common sense / self-preservation don’t necessarily go hand in hand...
Correct. And then this: Intelligence is not just about puzzle solving, it is far more complex. This is a topic of my research on influence, manipulation and related issues. I won't yet tell my complete view/analysis, but I will tell this: A lot of very intelligent people I consider to be morons because they can't generally apply proper reasoning which means they are actually more 'fast in applying the methods they learned' than able to come up with new ideas and/or proper analysis of something that to them is new. This is esp. the case with autists and psychopaths.

The hitchhiker's guide is funny, but extremely sarcastic (need to be in the mood to read it) and a critique of society most of all. The quote resembles what psychopaths and policians do: (1) Accuse others of what they do themselves, and (2) Make reversible non-arguments.
The quote I placed here is different, it's in fact self-criticism (as/of a group)...

There are of course plenty of indicators that humans are different from animals, but true intelligence means a balance in everything you do. Game playing is fine, so no need to stop. But if you see it as something really important, and esp. if you cheat to get a score, then you lost the plot.

For true intelligence you need feelings, as I will explain elsewhere in the near future.

It was interesting following the twingalaxies thread as 1) it confirmed my view of everyone involved (I was not influenced by any manipulation/portrayal of people by the makers of the documentary), and that 2) the people involved then are since a while no longer involved in TG and they are cleaning up the mess now. So my view on the pre-current-owner situation was correct, but it looks to be much better now.

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:38 pm

Obviously the guy is thick as sh!t :lol:

people with brains (ie IQ >1 :roll: ) know perfectly well that playing games & music are a freedom key.
by this meaning forget the world / life problems, & take your mind to another dimension! :D
ImageImageImage

Wouter Scholten

Post by Wouter Scholten » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:06 pm

CMcDougall wrote:Obviously the guy is thick as sh!t :lol:

people with brains (ie IQ >1 :roll: ) know perfectly well that playing games & music are a freedom key.
by this meaning forget the world / life problems, & take your mind to another dimension! :D
No, he was right (in the cases that this dispute is about, and many others). It's not that playing games or any activity are bad but that being fanatical about something not very important, is stupid. That's why I mentioned balance. Note that IQ is not a proper measure of intelligence...

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:49 am

Usually peeps with a high IQ have no common sense, ie wire a plug / change a light bulb :lol:

Can Mods move this rubbish to Off Topic :wink:

wasting a good quality sub topic, that's had lots of work...
ImageImageImage