Play or Not, previous challenge games?

post your own high scores or enter our challenge competitions

Do we want to play only games that haven't been played in ANY of the challenges before?

Poll ended at Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:48 pm

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 10

KarateEd

Play or Not, previous challenge games?

Post by KarateEd » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:48 pm

Hi Folks,

There's been a suggestion that any games that have been played during ANY of the previous challenges should not be played again to keep the challenges fresh. Could I please have as many people chime in on this quickly as possible so a decision can be made.

I'll post mine right now, I agree with that sentiment.

The poll will run for 5 days. If after that time, the sample size isn't large enough, we won't make any changes.

Thanks very much,

Ed...... :-)

Edit: Yes means we won't play old games again and No means we will, just have to set the criteria if that's the case.

sydney

Re: Play or Not, previous challenge games?

Post by sydney » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:26 pm

I'm not going to vote as I'm not particularly bothered even though I have nominated games we've already played. My preference would be to allow replaying games but I'm happy either way.

FourthStone

Post by FourthStone » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:06 pm

I've only played in the comp for a couple of years so I've voted no because I wouldn't be able to pick something I didn't get to play as someone else picked it before I started the comp... and in the spirit of actually winning something the choice is supposed to be a reward so the winner gets to pick whatever they like rather than having to contrive a choice based on past games chosen.

my 2c :)

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:24 pm

FourthStone wrote:I've only played in the comp for a couple of years so I've voted no because I wouldn't be able to pick something I didn't get to play as someone else picked it before I started the comp... and in the spirit of actually winning something the choice is supposed to be a reward so the winner gets to pick whatever they like rather than having to contrive a choice based on past games chosen.

my 2c :)
Yes FS, that wouldn't change. It doesn't matter in the Champion round if the game has been played or not. The Season winner chooses WHATEVER game they wish. This rule would only be for the ten rounds.

FourthStone

Post by FourthStone » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:38 pm

The other thing for me is that currently being so time poor the comp provides motivation to set aside time to at least play something, so I don't mind if something gets picked again as I get to play it again, and there's a good reason to play it again to try and beat your score Ed :lol:

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:15 pm

I think playing same games again is a bit poop, as some peeps will look at previous high score round to find a starting point, then if not near will not post pic.

Also, there is tonnes of games for the beeb, & it's great to play an old game you never played BITD. + may be some that you thought were crap :shock: BITD because you could not get passed level1, but deeper into game it turns out to be ace 8)

Bloody great job for organising Ed, giving all these gems a 2nd light 30+years later =D> :wink:
ImageImageImage

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:44 pm

CMcDougall wrote:Bloody great job for organising Ed, giving all these gems a 2nd light 30+years later =D> :wink:
Thanks Mr. McDougall. For me, many of these are first time so 2nd light for me is 1st light, though I don't like getting up too early in the day.... :wink:

chrisn

Post by chrisn » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:52 pm

CMcDougall wrote:Bloody great job for organising Ed, giving all these gems a 2nd light 30+years later =D> :wink:
I totally agree, the HSC is great although i sometimes don't have much time to play. I generally prefer to select new games, but at the same time don't mind re-playing ones we've already played. It's all good fun either way... :-)

Wouter Scholten

Post by Wouter Scholten » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:56 am

KarateEd wrote:Hi Folks,

There's been a suggestion that any games that have been played during ANY of the previous challenges should not be played again to keep the challenges fresh. Could I please have as many people chime in on this quickly as possible so a decision can be made.

I'll post mine right now, I agree with that sentiment.

The poll will run for 5 days. If after that time, the sample size isn't large enough, we won't make any changes.

Thanks very much,

Edit: Yes means we won't play old games again and No means we will, just have to set the criteria if that's the case.
I voted yes simply because of what I mentioned in the game suggestion thread for s8, that it would be interesting to see/explore games we haven't played, or barely. I don't think known high-score will deter that much. It is the case that if certain games are played then the outcome will be known in advance, it will then be a competition for 2nd spot. With pipemania I looked at the scores on beebgames and the eventual winner's as a challenge, not a problem or deterrent.

Perhaps a middle way: choose 2 games that have not been played at all, and 1 game that may be selected from any games, so including those that have been played before.

barbarossa69

Post by barbarossa69 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:04 am

As season 8 was my first season, I don't feel qualified to vote, sorry, so whatever you guys think is best... ;)

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:47 pm

barbarossa69 wrote:As season 8 was my first season, I don't feel qualified to vote, sorry, so whatever you guys think is best... ;)
Certainly you are qualified to vote. One year means you have a perspective so please let us know what it is and vote. I need a good range of votes or things won't likely change much......

tx bud,

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:28 pm

sydney wrote:I'm not going to vote as I'm not particularly bothered even though I have nominated games we've already played. My preference would be to allow replaying games but I'm happy either way.
Then Sydney sir, you should not exempt yourself from the vote. We need ALL votes please.... so would you kindly state your leanings in the vote, even though it's black and white so to speak. It just helps out is all......

Thank you my friend,

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:00 am

Ok folks,

This is a low number of posts but it seems like it's fairly evenly split.

Here's what I'm going to do.

We will keep it as described in the post for this season. No chosen games will be played from the previous 2 seasons. The next season (10), we will add this season (9) to the mix as not being allowed to choose games from... ie: Season 7, 8 and 9 will be ineligible to choose games that have been played. The following season (11) will be 7,8,9 and 10 and the following season (12 ) will be 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11.

On the next season (13) we will keep the spread at the last 5 seasons where games that were chosen cannot be played.... so the ineligible seasons that had games chosen in would be 8,9,10,11 and 12 and this would move along like that.

This way, there will be enough seasons between the current season as to keep the games 'fresh', so to speak.

Please remember that if a game hadn't been chosen, even though submitted, it will be eligible to be chosen in a successive season until chosen then it will have to wait at least 5 seasons (once we get to that point) to become eligible for nomination again.

I hope this is clear enough, if not, just post your questions and I'll answer them as well as possible.

Comments are also most welcome,

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:56 am

These are the games that may not be chosen for Season 9: I will add and subtract these as as explained in my previous message.

Season 8
A Maze In Space
Manic Miner
Star Wars
Caveman Capers
Cosmic Camouflage
Felix Meets the Evil Weevils
Bumble Bee
Pipemania
Bug Eyes
Skirmish
White Light