High score lists: Old magazines, web

post your own high scores or enter our challenge competitions
Wouter Scholten

High score lists: Old magazines, web

Post by Wouter Scholten » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:06 pm

I mentioned having collected high scores from magazines already quite a while ago (though I miss some lists/scans from other magazines than those listed on my page below, that I am sure I made) and I saw again the 30M+ score for Zalaga, mentioned in TMU 1990. But others got to almost the same score, from the score lists in AU, and that would take a day it seems to play, perhaps they let the game run at some point and gone to sleep (possible by kill all aliens on 1 side of the screen). I think that score is possible, but I have some doubts about some other scores, Planetoid and Meteors for example, and there is a mixing of scores of Electron versions and BBC versions for various games, as I discuss here:

http://wouter.bbcmicro.net/bbc/spellen/highscores.html

Any suggestions for other magazines or sources are welcome, exact references or scans even better... Also interested in if anyone has compared game playing speed of e.g. Meteors and Arcadians on the Electron, vs. the BBC versions on the BBC.

Wouter Scholten

Re: High score lists: Old magazines, web

Post by Wouter Scholten » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:26 pm

Wouter Scholten wrote:I mentioned having collected high scores from magazines already quite a while ago (though I miss some lists/scans from other magazines than those listed on my page below, that I am sure I made) and I saw again the 30M+ score for Zalaga, mentioned in TMU 1990. But others got to almost the same score, from the score lists in AU, and that would take a day it seems to play, perhaps they let the game run at some point and gone to sleep (possible by kill all aliens on 1 side of the screen). I think that score is possible, but I have some doubts about some other scores, Planetoid and Meteors for example, and there is a mixing of scores of Electron versions and BBC versions for various games, as I discuss here:

http://wouter.bbcmicro.net/bbc/spellen/highscores.html

Any suggestions for other magazines or sources are welcome, exact references or scans even better... Also interested in if anyone has compared game playing speed of e.g. Meteors and Arcadians on the Electron, vs. the BBC versions on the BBC.
I updated the score lists with those from almost all Beebug supplements, just 1 remains to be checked. Laserbug up to issue 16 too (are there more?). It's interesting to see the score progressions and what scores have been improved or not on beebgames.com and here in the competions. I'm not sure about highs scores mentioned in other mags, multi-format such as Practical computing. I couldn't find anything, I thought I made scans but could be I lost some stuff and I definitely lost most of the actual mags themselves of PCW and Practical computing, around 2008 or so, perhaps I will try to get hold of them again. I'd like to see the magazine "Which micro and software review" too, which I enjoyed in 1983, but very hard to find in the 2000-2007 era when I was looking for lots of old mags and BBC stuff, and I can't find anything now either, definitely no scanned versions on the web!

I analysed some scores, and Acorn user scores are very problematic due to no separate mention of BBC and Electron scores in most cases. After analysing the scores from a few games I found that e.g. the Meteors score is not a BBC score, possibly this is also what made possible the 2.8 & 3.1 M scores with Planetoid, though I'm not sure when Planetoid for the Electron was released. Does anyone know a precise date?

Also, is there an Electron emulator that I can run on FreeBSD? I'd like to see how slow (the Electron version of) Meteors is on the Electron.

KarateEd

Re: High score lists: Old magazines, web

Post by KarateEd » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:16 pm

Interesting stuff Wouter, just saw this now somehow.....

Ed...... :-)
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken but to be worked on Beeb Motherboards