chrisn

Re: High Score Challenge Season 16 - Rd 01 - Monsters

Post by chrisn »

It's good to play this again. My starter score... 10210

monsters.jpg
Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

Venger wrote:The graphics for the monsters themselves remind me a lot of Felix in the Factory.
I really never clocked that resemblance until now!
Venger wrote:First impressions are that the controls are pretty clunky and whoever thought that F and D were good choices for keys must've been crazy.
Maybe the same person that thought using a cursor key and the pound sign for directional controls?
Venger wrote:I keep getting stuck trying to get off the ladders. The controls are definitely not as smooth as some other platformers.
I'm thinking that these facts reinforce the idea that these two titles may have had the same author...
(but am just too lazy to look it up right now)

I honestly had fond memories of FitF, as it was the first commercial game I ever picked up - secondhand, without an inlay, only 25p from Derby's Software City :D
Just having played a couple of rounds again... even with redefined keys? Not so much a fan!
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Cybershark wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:34 am
Venger wrote:The graphics for the monsters themselves remind me a lot of Felix in the Factory.
I really never clocked that resemblance until now!
Venger wrote:First impressions are that the controls are pretty clunky and whoever thought that F and D were good choices for keys must've been crazy.
Maybe the same person that thought using a cursor key and the pound sign for directional controls?
Venger wrote:I keep getting stuck trying to get off the ladders. The controls are definitely not as smooth as some other platformers.
I'm thinking that these facts reinforce the idea that these two titles may have had the same author...
(but am just too lazy to look it up right now)

I honestly had fond memories of FitF, as it was the first commercial game I ever picked up - secondhand, without an inlay, only 25p from Derby's Software City :D
Just having played a couple of rounds again... even with redefined keys? Not so much a fan!
There are very few 8 bit games that don't have some flaws to them. The flaws here are not horrible, they are frustrating but the game is very playable. We've had other games on here that are much, much worse. Also, this group has just come off playing 2 games that are very smooth in their scrolling and control factors so that also makes this seem worse than it really is. One of those games was the very modernly programmed game, White Light. I think that has a lot to do with how people feel about this particular game.
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
Rod C

Post by Rod C »

Hang onto your hat when the white monsters come after you! :shock:

13470.JPG
Venger

Post by Venger »

MartinH wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:22 pm

The game deserves a nomination for the most crippling default control scheme ever award.
I initially thought that but then came across Rocket Raid...

You'd have to be an octopus to be able to use those keys, especially Shift for forwards and Space for backwards! I swear that some programmers have never played their games!
Attachments
Rocket Raid Controls.png
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

Venger wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:33 pm
I initially thought that but then came across Rocket Raid...

You'd have to be an octopus to be able to use those keys, especially Shift for forwards and Space for backwards! I swear that some programmers have never played their games!
It's funny how memory tricks you - I remember playing Rocket Raid as a kid and not noticing how bad the keyboard layout was. But it makes sense to me now why the yellow maze level was so difficult. I guess that's 40 odd years of gaming experience for you.

I've just updated to the latest version of BeebEm and oddly Monsters seems to be playing differently. Now I may just be imagining this - I have been up for about 36 hours at this point - but it seems the ladder navigation is a bit better than it was, but oddly the air seems to be running out quicker. :-s

I think that calls for rum.
M_Ron

Post by M_Ron »

One of the first games I ever played. It's still basically impossible as soon as you get to the fast level or is it :?:

MOnster12330.JPG
Venger

Post by Venger »

M_Ron wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:26 pm
One of the first games I ever played. It's still basically impossible as soon as you get to the fast level or is it :?:

MOnster12330.JPG
Improbable, rather than impossible. A lot relies on the randomly placed ladders and also the starting positions of the higher-level monsters. When you get to the faster levels you're basically fire-fighting and have to rely mainly on luck and trying to crush a monster with another monster, rather than digging multiple holes directly above each other. You just don't have the time.
M_Ron

Post by M_Ron »

MOnster12330.JPG
[/quote]

Improbable, rather than impossible. A lot relies on the randomly placed ladders and also the starting positions of the higher-level monsters. When you get to the faster levels you're basically fire-fighting and have to rely mainly on luck and trying to crush a monster with another monster, rather than digging multiple holes directly above each other. You just don't have the time.
[/quote]

Thanks - nice advice - and after many, many games this evening I did have a quick run of luck and got off the 1st fast level... I fear I will climb no higher! As so often is the case with these old games, they made the levels get hard too quickly. They should have had more levels and a slower rate of increasing difficulty.
And those controls - ah! At least I realized today that I didn't have to press dig or fill three times but just hold them down. Saved a bit of sanity!

MOnsters16220.JPG
Venger wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:08 pm
M_Ron wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:26 pm

JoolsH

Post by JoolsH »

JoolsH wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:37 pm
Making the last alien on each level a white one that drops 5 levels helps your score a bit.
Thank you, past me from six years ago, for that handy hint. I'd forgotten about that :)

14,560. Not quite up to my previous score from last time we played it yet...
Attachments
monsters-14560.png
JoolsH

Post by JoolsH »

Managed to luck my way through the first ridiculously fast level by dropping one monster on another. Not sure I'll do any better than this:

Attachments
monsters-18440.png
Rod C

Post by Rod C »

JoolsH wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:08 am
JoolsH wrote: ↑Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:37 am
Making the last alien on each level a white one that drops 5 levels helps your score a bit.
Thank you, past me from six years ago, for that handy hint. I'd forgotten about that
That's pretty funny Jools! :lol:

I can't manage to do much when I get to the very fast level but here's a tiny improvement.

13660.JPG
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Finally found a key combo I can live with but still don't like it...... neverless, I doubt I'd get even this score without doing that.
Monsters3.png

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
MatthewThompson

Post by MatthewThompson »

A day off work today and, had a chance for a good go at Monsters this afternoon, and finally managed to beat my best score at long last, it does get too fast too quickly, think i'm done with this one now.
Attachments
MonstersBEST.jpg
Venger

Post by Venger »

I've had a few goes but it's a massive lottery of a game. A slight improvement.
Attachments
Monsters6.png
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

High Score Table Updated for Season 16, Round One......

Again, there were two players that topped the list by quite a margin but one stood out above all the rest.

The key combinations on this one are just a bit weird. It took a while to configure Beeb-Em to something somewhat comfortable but I never really got used to it. The synapses don't work as well as they used to.

Well, the winner this time is
MatthewThompson with a score of just a over 35k with Venger reasonably close behind at 29k. Great game Matt and very nice score. Congratulations and well played =D> =D>

On a side note I'd like to thank all those who played this round. We had 11 playing this game again this time which is decent so.....Thank you!!!

MatthewThompson

Post by MatthewThompson »

This game was certainly down to luck a lot of the time, could get to the first 'fast' level pretty much every time, without losing any lives, then it was dig and hope from there onwards, I did find it got a little easier after this first fast level as it reverted back to some levels without the white monsters, which made things a little easier (only just) but it got too difficult, too quickly.

I got this score using the standard keys D for dig and F for Fill as don't think you can totally reconfigure the keys using !BeebIT on RISC OS, but I could be wrong, not the best key controls for games, but nowhere near as ludicrous as Felix In the Factory was.
fwibbler

Post by fwibbler »

Erm, just to let you know, my final score was 8030 not 5300.
Cheers!
Rod C

Post by Rod C »

KarateEd wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:17 pm
Hi Ed, thanks for all your work. I'm just bumping Fwibbler's post from Round One as I think you might have missed it.
Cheers
Rod
fwibbler wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:10 pm
Cheers!
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Rod C wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:44 am
KarateEd wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:17 pm
Hi Ed, thanks for all your work. I'm just bumping Fwibbler's post from Round One as I think you might have missed it.
Cheers
Rod
fwibbler wrote:
Cheers!
Doh, I did miss it, will update it then......thanks.

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

fwibbler wrote:
Cheers!
Corrected and thanks, when I update in Bounty Bob next time the score will be reflected also.

fwibbler

Post by fwibbler »

Thanks for that.

Return to “8-bit acorn software: games - high scores”