High Score Challenge S12 - R6 - Wet Zone

post your own high scores or enter our challenge competitions
User avatar
KarateEd
Posts: 4214
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:15 pm
Location: Squamish, BC, Canada
Contact:

High Score Challenge S12 - R6 - Wet Zone

Post by KarateEd » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:00 pm

Stardot high score challenge
Season Twelve: Round Six
Wet Zone by Venger

Image
======================================================================================
RULES
:arrow: Round One starts at 9pm on Monday the 9th of September and ends at 9pm on Monday the 23rd of September
:arrow: The aim is to score as many points as possible
:arrow: Post scores and screenshots/photographs in this thread
:arrow: The rules are here
======================================================================================
DISK IMAGE
:arrow: http://www.bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=306
======================================================================================
INSTRUCTIONS

Image
======================================================================================
SCORING
:arrow: Points will be awarded using the following formula.
:arrow: points = (YS / BS * 50) + ((NOP - YP + 1) * (50 / NOP))
:arrow: YS = Your Score
:arrow: BS = Best Score
:arrow: NOP = Number of Players
:arrow: YP = Your Position
======================================================================================
HIGH SCORE TABLE

Image

Link to Overall High Score Table...http://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=17403

Thanks to Galax for the Mode 7 fonts.

Great.....space invaders sped up to the nth degree with a weird key combo.....have at 'er boys..........
Last edited by KarateEd on Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken but to be worked on Beeb Motherboards and 1recently received Omnibus A7000+ server which is a work in progress.

User avatar
Venger
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat May 18, 2019 8:25 pm
Location: Wales
Contact:

Re: High Score Challenge S12 - R6 - Wet Zone

Post by Venger » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:57 pm

Here's a really modest score to get started. It does take a while to get used to the keys but I can remember clocking this back in the day.
Attachments
Wet Zone 1.png

User avatar
Venger
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat May 18, 2019 8:25 pm
Location: Wales
Contact:

Re: High Score Challenge S12 - R6 - Wet Zone

Post by Venger » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:08 pm

And here's a little bit of a better score.
Attachments
Wet Zone 2.png

User avatar
KarateEd
Posts: 4214
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:15 pm
Location: Squamish, BC, Canada
Contact:

Re: High Score Challenge S12 - R6 - Wet Zone

Post by KarateEd » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:03 pm

Yeh, and here's my most recent feeble attempt.....and I already hate this game......yikes!!!!
WZ1.png
Last edited by KarateEd on Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken but to be worked on Beeb Motherboards and 1recently received Omnibus A7000+ server which is a work in progress.

User avatar
FourthStone
Posts: 791
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:29 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: High Score Challenge S12 - R6 - Wet Zone

Post by FourthStone » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:06 am

Good game, very precise collision detection :^o , smooth intuitive controls ](*,) , non-vague scoring :twisted:

Score: 196
WetZone.PNG

User avatar
KarateEd
Posts: 4214
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:15 pm
Location: Squamish, BC, Canada
Contact:

Re: High Score Challenge S12 - R6 - Wet Zone

Post by KarateEd » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:18 pm

Totally agree with your assessment FS........ :twisted:
WZ2.png
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken but to be worked on Beeb Motherboards and 1recently received Omnibus A7000+ server which is a work in progress.

User avatar
Venger
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat May 18, 2019 8:25 pm
Location: Wales
Contact:

Re: High Score Challenge S12 - R6 - Wet Zone

Post by Venger » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:19 pm

Slight improvement. This game really keeps you on your toes with the unpredictable movement of some of the enemies. A good challenge :).

The scoring's not vague either. It's 1 point per enemy killed in level 1, 2 points in level 2, etc.
Attachments
WZ 3.png
Last edited by Venger on Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Venger
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat May 18, 2019 8:25 pm
Location: Wales
Contact:

Re: High Score Challenge S12 - R6 - Wet Zone

Post by Venger » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:08 pm

First score over a thousand. Level 11.
Attachments
WZ 5.png
Level 11 Score 1244

User avatar
KarateEd
Posts: 4214
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:15 pm
Location: Squamish, BC, Canada
Contact:

Re: High Score Challenge S12 - R6 - Wet Zone

Post by KarateEd » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:21 pm

The scoring system is irrelevant if you can't get past level 1. How many screens do you have to kill to get to the next level? and....do they have to be consecutive? What I mean by that is if you die before you get to the next level, does the level start from the beginning again?

Even though this score isn't much higher I'm posting it because I doubt I'll get very much higher than this....so dodgy this game is for me grasshopper.
WZ3.png
Last edited by KarateEd on Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken but to be worked on Beeb Motherboards and 1recently received Omnibus A7000+ server which is a work in progress.

User avatar
Venger
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat May 18, 2019 8:25 pm
Location: Wales
Contact:

Re: High Score Challenge S12 - R6 - Wet Zone

Post by Venger » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:11 pm

KarateEd Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:21 pm wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:21 pm
The scoring system is irrelevant if you can't get past level 1. How many screens do you have to kill to get to the next level? and....do they have to be consecutive? What I mean by that is if you die before you get to the next level, does the level start from the beginning again?

Even though this score isn't much higher I'm posting it because I doubt I'll get very much higher than this....so dodgy this game.
It's not a question of how many waves. It's a question of time.

If you notice, in the top right hand corner, there's a timer that counts down from 99 to 0. When the timer runs down you progress to the next level.

The game's not dodgy either; further levels require a lot of skill. Level 6 is absolutely brutal.
Last edited by KarateEd on Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
KarateEd
Posts: 4214
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:15 pm
Location: Squamish, BC, Canada
Contact:

Re: High Score Challenge S12 - R6 - Wet Zone

Post by KarateEd » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:39 pm

Venger wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:11 pm
KarateEd Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:21 pm wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:21 pm
The scoring system is irrelevant if you can't get past level 1. How many screens do you have to kill to get to the next level? and....do they have to be consecutive? What I mean by that is if you die before you get to the next level, does the level start from the beginning again?

Even though this score isn't much higher I'm posting it because I doubt I'll get very much higher than this....so dodgy this game.
It's not a question of how many waves. It's a question of time.

If you notice, in the top right hand corner, there's a timer that counts down from 99 to 0. When the timer runs down you progress to the next level.

The game's not dodgy either; further levels require a lot of skill. Level 6 is absolutely brutal.
Thanks for the info Venger.

It'll help with the game play knowing that though I doubt I'll get very high in this one.

I still find the controls dodgy, perhaps because I've adjusted the keyboard to what I like in Beeb-Em....but usually I find it rock solid so I still say it's dodgy in that regard.
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken but to be worked on Beeb Motherboards and 1recently received Omnibus A7000+ server which is a work in progress.

User avatar
KarateEd
Posts: 4214
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:15 pm
Location: Squamish, BC, Canada
Contact:

Re: High Score Challenge S12 - R6 - Wet Zone

Post by KarateEd » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:42 am

Well, again a small increase. but.....it's level 2 which I never thought I was going to see.
WZ4.png
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken but to be worked on Beeb Motherboards and 1recently received Omnibus A7000+ server which is a work in progress.

User avatar
FourthStone
Posts: 791
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:29 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: High Score Challenge S12 - R6 - Wet Zone

Post by FourthStone » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:06 am

Level 3, viva la randomness [-o<

Score: 250
WetZone.PNG

User avatar
Venger
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat May 18, 2019 8:25 pm
Location: Wales
Contact:

Re: High Score Challenge S12 - R6 - Wet Zone

Post by Venger » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:53 am

KarateEd wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:39 pm
Venger wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:11 pm
KarateEd Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:21 pm wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:21 pm
The scoring system is irrelevant if you can't get past level 1. How many screens do you have to kill to get to the next level? and....do they have to be consecutive? What I mean by that is if you die before you get to the next level, does the level start from the beginning again?

Even though this score isn't much higher I'm posting it because I doubt I'll get very much higher than this....so dodgy this game.
It's not a question of how many waves. It's a question of time.

If you notice, in the top right hand corner, there's a timer that counts down from 99 to 0. When the timer runs down you progress to the next level.

The game's not dodgy either; further levels require a lot of skill. Level 6 is absolutely brutal.
Thanks for the info Venger.

It'll help with the game play knowing that though I doubt I'll get very high in this one.

I still find the controls dodgy, perhaps because I've adjusted the keyboard to what I like in Beeb-Em....but usually I find it rock solid so I still say it's dodgy in that regard.
I agree that the key configuration could be a lot better. I much prefer Z and X for left and right. It is quite a challenging game anyway and that's why I like it.

User avatar
KarateEd
Posts: 4214
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:15 pm
Location: Squamish, BC, Canada
Contact:

Re: High Score Challenge S12 - R6 - Wet Zone

Post by KarateEd » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:20 pm

It seems it's possible to get past level 2 as well.....
WZ5.png
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken but to be worked on Beeb Motherboards and 1recently received Omnibus A7000+ server which is a work in progress.

sgb27
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:01 pm
Contact:

Re: High Score Challenge S12 - R6 - Wet Zone

Post by sgb27 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:27 pm

This game is way too fast for me, my brain can't keep track of all the enemies and bullets to dodge them all, it's just random moving about whilst firing continuously and hoping I don't hit in to anything :lol:

Scott
Attachments
Capture.PNG

User avatar
KarateEd
Posts: 4214
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:15 pm
Location: Squamish, BC, Canada
Contact:

Re: High Score Challenge S12 - R6 - Wet Zone

Post by KarateEd » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:27 pm

sgb27 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:27 pm
This game is way too fast for me, my brain can't keep track of all the enemies and bullets to dodge them all, it's just random moving about whilst firing continuously and hoping I don't hit in to anything :lol:

Scott
You and me both Scott.......but since I've done a great job of dissing this game, I'll give it a kudo. I love the cheesy 8-bit tune.

But, another trash.....twice I've gotten to 0 on level one and it still killed me off......bleh!!!@
Last edited by KarateEd on Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken but to be worked on Beeb Motherboards and 1recently received Omnibus A7000+ server which is a work in progress.

chrisn
Posts: 482
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:31 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: High Score Challenge S12 - R6 - Wet Zone

Post by chrisn » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:49 pm

Too fast! If you can make it through level 1, then levels 2 and 3 are a bit easier. What I do is hold down the fire button, as it auto-fires, then concentrate on moving. Not sure I'll beat this, as I'm away for the next couple of weeks so not much time for gaming. Best so far: 306

wetzone.jpg

User avatar
KarateEd
Posts: 4214
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:15 pm
Location: Squamish, BC, Canada
Contact:

Re: High Score Challenge S12 - R6 - Wet Zone

Post by KarateEd » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:58 pm

Ah, didn't realize it was autofire.....should have tested that first.
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken but to be worked on Beeb Motherboards and 1recently received Omnibus A7000+ server which is a work in progress.

Rod C
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:26 pm
Contact:

Re: High Score Challenge S12 - R6 - Wet Zone

Post by Rod C » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:19 pm

Wow, what a crazy game! Didn't think I would be able to get it at all but finally got to level 2 and 103 points.
103 L2.JPG

Rod C
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:26 pm
Contact:

Re: High Score Challenge S12 - R6 - Wet Zone

Post by Rod C » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:32 pm

Now 138
138 L2.JPG

User avatar
KarateEd
Posts: 4214
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:15 pm
Location: Squamish, BC, Canada
Contact:

Re: High Score Challenge S12 - R6 - Wet Zone

Post by KarateEd » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:50 pm

High Score Tables Updated......
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken but to be worked on Beeb Motherboards and 1recently received Omnibus A7000+ server which is a work in progress.

sgb27
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:01 pm
Contact:

Re: High Score Challenge S12 - R6 - Wet Zone

Post by sgb27 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:58 pm

Oh, it seems much easier to play in BeebEm compared to jsbeeb, or maybe I'm just getting better :D

Scott
Attachments
150.png

Rod C
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:26 pm
Contact:

Re: High Score Challenge S12 - R6 - Wet Zone

Post by Rod C » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:34 pm

Still only a modest score but I'm enjoying this game. Now on 175.
175 L2.JPG

Rod C
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:26 pm
Contact:

Re: High Score Challenge S12 - R6 - Wet Zone

Post by Rod C » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:05 am

Working my way into level 3 now on 211.
211 L3.JPG

User avatar
Venger
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat May 18, 2019 8:25 pm
Location: Wales
Contact:

Re: High Score Challenge S12 - R6 - Wet Zone

Post by Venger » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:16 pm

I had another go today. Slight improvement on my score.
Attachments
Wet Zone 3.png
Level 10 Score 1617

Rod C
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:26 pm
Contact:

Re: High Score Challenge S12 - R6 - Wet Zone

Post by Rod C » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:29 pm

Surprised myself by reaching level 4. Now I'm on 246. Watch out above!

Venger, you're not losing your touch are you? You only got to level 10 this time :wink: :roll: :shock: =D> =D> =D>
246 L4.JPG

JoolsH
Posts: 589
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 11:46 am
Contact:

Re: High Score Challenge S12 - R6 - Wet Zone

Post by JoolsH » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:18 pm

I had this back in the day on the Electron, but I never played it much. Probably 'cos it was so damn hard.

I'm enjoying it a bit more now, though. Got to level 6 here.

605
Attachments
wet-zone-605.png

User avatar
CMcDougall
Posts: 6734
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:13 pm
Location: Shadow in a Valley of Scotland
Contact:

Re: High Score Challenge S12 - R6 - Wet Zone

Post by CMcDougall » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:21 pm

never had this or played before, but now understand why the keys are wonky, it's a Electron game only!
Wet ZoneE.jpg
cov
so a dozen goes gets me 46, as it;s too fast :shock:
wz46.png
46 col
ImageImageImage

User avatar
Venger
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat May 18, 2019 8:25 pm
Location: Wales
Contact:

Re: High Score Challenge S12 - R6 - Wet Zone

Post by Venger » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:25 pm

Rod C wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:29 pm
Surprised myself by reaching level 4. Now I'm on 246. Watch out above!

Venger, you're not losing your touch are you? You only got to level 10 this time :wink: :roll: :shock: =D> =D> =D>

246 L4.JPG
Nah, not losing my touch. I just decided that it was easier to score more points on level 10. I'll be disappointed if I don't get to and past the final level before the competition ends though :wink:

I don't get the hate for this game as it's a cracker once you get into it and very addictive!

Post Reply