Compukit UK101 Documentation

Talk about non-Acorn classic computers/hardware/software here (including retro consoles)
Seldon2k

Compukit UK101 Documentation

Post by Seldon2k » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:37 am

Hi all,

I intend to post scans of my 101 Documentation here.
I have ALL of the documentation for my UK101 and all of the I/O boards I added later.
I am slowly scanning, cleaning and converting them to PDF.

I also have all of the Practical Electronics Magazines covering the UK101 and all add-ons.
I am not actually sure that these are in good condition having been stored rather poorly over the last 20 years.

I wonder if we could have a role call of who else has the PE Magazines and whether they are from new or recent purchases.

I was also a member of the support group CUA, (Computer User Aids), this provided a lot of tips, programs and modification information for the UK101. I will also be scanning and uploading those journals.

I Hope people are interested in this side of Retro-Computing :)

Terry

flaxcottage

Re: Compukit UK101 Documentation

Post by flaxcottage » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:22 pm

I have Sept 1980 PE as a recent acquisition. That has the AY-3-8910 PSG information and some other snippets of information in its MicroLink section.

I have also gathered a large amount of info by way of scans of PE magazines, the user manual and various other odds and ends. It is possible that I actually have the original articles from PE over several years stored in the loft. [-o<

With my UK101 that I received before Christmas there are the manual, a CEGMON manual and several other documents relating to 6502 coding and some UK101-specific documents; I haven't got round to cataloguing the collection yet.

I also have a number of UK101 programs as text files.

Work seems to get in the way of 'retro preservation'. :evil:

I'll have to see about doing something about giving up the work! :lol:
- John

Seldon2k

Post by Seldon2k » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:14 pm

Hi,

That made me think of Books that I used around the time I had my UK101.
So we may as well include recommendations such as
'Programming the 6502', '6502 Applications Book' and '6502 Games' by Rodnay Zaks.
'Micro: the 6502 journal' covered all early 8 bit SBCs including the OSI Challengers and the Superboard.
https://archive.org/details/6502-micro-journal
'The S-100 and Other Micro Buses' by E. Poe.
This had a description of all of the common Buses in use at the time to allow the easy use of cards meant for other systems.

Slightly off topic: BBC Micro related books such as
'Advanced Machine Code Techniques for the BBC Micro' by A.P. Stephenson,
'The BASIC ROM User Guide : for the BBC Microcomputer and Acorn Electron' by M.D. Plumbley,
'The Advanced User Guide for the BBC Microcomputer' by A.C. Bray,
'The Advanced BASIC ROM User Guide for the BBC Microcomputer' by C. Pharo,
'Advanced Programming Techniques for the BBC Micro' by J.J. McGregor,
'Practical Programs for the BBC Computer and Acorn Atom' by D. Johnson-Davies.

Finally, I wonder if anyone else has encountered 'LibraryThing' a fantastic resource in finding books, reviewing, discussing etc.
http://www.librarything.com/

I have just tried to upload the manual for the CUA Hi-Res graphics board for the UK101, to give it Atom capabilities, and it was rejected as the extension PDF is not allowed!?

Terry.

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:44 pm

Seldon2k wrote:tried to upload the manual for the CUA Hi-Res graphics board for the UK101, to give it Atom capabilities, and it was rejected as the extension PDF is not allowed!?
Terry, if you zip (or rar) the PDF, then it can be uploaded onto the forum (but maybe 5mb max a file)
Nice pics by the way of your machine 'guts'! :shock:
ImageImageImage

erazmus

Post by erazmus » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:35 am

I have scans of the original construction series from Practical Electronics up on my site http://www.compukit.org I also have scans of some of the followup articles with different modifications, etc, that I still have to put up at the site. If anyone has scans of Compukit-related stuff and is looking for a home on the web, I'm more than happy to host them on my site for you - just drop me a note.

As an aside, I've noticed that there is very little Practical Electronics scanned in and available on the net. The Internet Archive has a few issues, but not much. I would love to see good quality PDFs of the entire magazine - especially from the time around the Compukit.

erazmus

Post by erazmus » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:38 am

... And I've now put up scans of all the Practical Electronics articles I have up until August 1982 that refer to the UK101. If anyone has any others, I'd love to post them.

jimmydeath

Post by jimmydeath » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:21 pm

Nice work, very useful as I didn't get any documentation with mine.

I recall that the manual's front and back cover were printed in blue, would be nice to have a colour scan of that so that I can print myself off a replica manual

regards

James

Seldon2k

Post by Seldon2k » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:32 pm

Hi,

I have all of the PE Magazines from about mid 1965 to late 1987.
They were moved from a nice warm room to a cold and damp storage cupboard in about 1994.
I have not looked at them since, I do hope they are still intact.
I 'MAY' look at them this year, I have always wanted them in PDF form as they will take up far less room.

As I am a little obsessive about such things, each issue of a publication seems to devour about a day of my life to bring to the digital domain. This is why I have not got very far with the 101 documentation project.

I tried to attach the Zip of the CUA paperwork, it was too large at 10MB, I then split it into Floppy sized chunks and it didn't like the extension again.
I have given up, just go to this link and you will find everything UK101:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
Please try to not spread the link just the files :)

Terry.

erazmus

Post by erazmus » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:19 pm

Seldon2k wrote: As I am a little obsessive about such things, each issue of a publication seems to devour about a day of my life to bring to the digital domain. This is why I have not got very far with the 101 documentation project.
Good luck with the scanning.
I tried to attach the Zip of the CUA paperwork, it was too large at 10MB, I then split it into Floppy sized chunks and it didn't like the extension again.
I have given up, just go to this link and you will find everything UK101:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
Please try to not spread the link just the files :)

Terry.
I've grabbed the Hi-Res manual and added it to the site. Let me know if you have anything more.

Ian

erazmus

Post by erazmus » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:23 pm

jimmydeath wrote: I recall that the manual's front and back cover were printed in blue, would be nice to have a colour scan of that so that I can print myself off a replica manual
Here's a scan of the front cover of my manual:

http://www.compukit.org/File:Manual_cover.jpg

It's in awful shape, but the scan is in colour :)

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:55 pm

Here is the scan of my manual in colour. The condition is not too bad.
UK101cover.zip
(1.66 MiB) Downloaded 98 times
If you need a higher resolution scan let me know. This one is 300dpi.
- John

erazmus

Post by erazmus » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:58 pm

flaxcottage wrote:Here is the scan of my manual in colour. The condition is not too bad.
UK101cover.zip
If you need a higher resolution scan let me know. This one is 300dpi.
Beautiful scans! Time to edit the PDF and insert these colour scans. Thanks!

jimmydeath

Post by jimmydeath » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:27 am

Judging by the scan your manual must be in mint condition.

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:35 am

Mint is not a word I'd use. :( It has been separated into single sheets with holes punched through for a ring binder. The pages are quite clean, though.

It is amazing what a touch of repair in a graphics package can do!
- John

jimmydeath

Post by jimmydeath » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:55 pm

So its 'ebay' mint then....

baldwint

Post by baldwint » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:30 pm

Hi Ian,
I like your re-worked and updated Compukit website - looks really good.

The UK101 manual PDF you have is the one I scanned and converted as part of my emulator project. I scanned the pages at 400dpi but only 1 bit black and white (except maybe page 6?) in an attempt to keep the size of the PDF down.

If you want to rebuild a version with colour pages, I'm happy to send you my original TIF scans if that would help. You might want to include the page for the "New Monitor" and "Sample Tape/Extended Monitor" too, as that came as part of the original package.

I have scans of the CEGMON manual too, if you want those.

Tim.

erazmus

Post by erazmus » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:44 pm

baldwint wrote:Hi Ian,
I like your re-worked and updated Compukit website - looks really good.

The UK101 manual PDF you have is the one I scanned and converted as part of my emulator project. I scanned the pages at 400dpi but only 1 bit black and white (except maybe page 6?) in an attempt to keep the size of the PDF down.

If you want to rebuild a version with colour pages, I'm happy to send you my original TIF scans if that would help. You might want to include the page for the "New Monitor" and "Sample Tape/Extended Monitor" too, as that came as part of the original package.

I have scans of the CEGMON manual too, if you want those.

Tim.
I will take anything and everything you have! Let me know your preferred method to send them to me - I can set up an FTP drop for you, or you could share a link to Dropbox or something similar.

Thanks.

Ian

baldwint

Post by baldwint » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:19 pm

erazmus wrote: I will take anything and everything you have! Let me know your preferred method to send them to me - I can set up an FTP drop for you, or you could share a link to Dropbox or something similar.

Thanks.

Ian
I've uploaded three zip files with the raw TIFs from my original scans to my emulator project site:
http://uk101.sourceforge.net/scans/manual.zip
http://uk101.sourceforge.net/scans/cegmon.zip
http://uk101.sourceforge.net/scans/monitor.zip

Grab a copy and make use of them as you see fit. The CEGMON scans are also black-and-white (sadly) - the cover should be a dark blue, not grey!

Tim.

erazmus

Post by erazmus » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:31 pm

baldwint wrote: I've uploaded three zip files with the raw TIFs from my original scans to my emulator project site
Got them! Thanks. You wouldn't happen to have WAV files of the tapes by any chance, would you? It would be nice to archive some of the tape software too.

erazmus

Post by erazmus » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:32 pm

baldwint wrote: I've uploaded three zip files with the raw TIFs from my original scans to my emulator project site
Excellent emulator, by the way!

baldwint

Post by baldwint » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:48 pm

erazmus wrote: Got them! Thanks. You wouldn't happen to have WAV files of the tapes by any chance, would you? It would be nice to archive some of the tape software too.
Sorry, looks like I didn't keep those - I guess I only considered them a temporary step from the cassette to the binary file form. I could record them again at some point when I get the chance - no promises as to when though!

Alternatively you could use KCS (or similar) to reconstruct a WAV file from the binary data - you'd probably end up with a better quality result that way too. In fact I might even add that function into my simulator package - should be simple enough and quite interesting to do :-)

Tim.

multivac

Post by multivac » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:06 pm

Does anyone know if it was "Practical Electronics" or ETI that had a series of expansion boards for the UK101?
Articles included extra memory, disk controller and a sound card - I think. Board size was A5ish.

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:10 pm