Apple IIe & Disk II with issues

Talk about non-Acorn classic computers/hardware/software here (including retro consoles)
markjw

Apple IIe & Disk II with issues

Post by markjw » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:42 am

from my post in the 'Today I received' thread' I'm now the proud owner of an Apple IIe, however have a few issues.

1. On boot there is zero activity on the Disk II floppy drive - no motor, no LED. Sits at the Apple II message, however can force boot to BASIC
2. No power LED on the keyboard - machine is powered up though
3. 'T' key one the keyboard is not working - all the others I've tried seem OK
4. The RIFA caps are probably ticking down nicely to where they are going to go pop

Managed to get the built-in diag to pass with a 'KERNEL OK' message instead of 'RAM: F13 F12 F11 F10 F9 F8 F7 F6' by pulling the 80col/64K card and piggybacking one of its' RAM chips onto each of the mainboard ones in turn (and it would be the last one I tried of course) - so that problem is now just a matter of getting a 4164 type chip to replace the bad one.

The machine is the original model of the IIe, it does not have the 'Enhancement' kit with the 65C02 CPU and new ROMs

So any suggestion on where to start with the disk drive and what to look at for the keyboard / LED problem - any help appreciated as this is my first Apple 8-bit machine so knowledge is currently very limited. thanks, Mark

iainjh

Re: Apple IIe & Disk II with issues

Post by iainjh » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:01 pm

Hi, what slot is the disk controller in? Looking from the front, 7 is far right

Disk controller is usually in 6

At the prompt then try PR#6 ( assuming the controller is in 6). The drive should spin up.

danielj

Post by danielj » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:32 pm

With regard to 2, 3 and 4:

2. These have usually gone pop. I'm going to look at replacing mine with a green LED rather than the little bulb that's normally in there.
3. Dirty keyswitch. Usual protocol applies - they can be opened and cleaned, they are a little delicate though so be careful!
4. Big fat RIFA in there. Yes, get it changed!

:)

d.

markjw

Post by markjw » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:32 pm

thanks Iain / Daniel

disk controller is in slot 6 - will give the PR#6 command a try

ah! thought the power light was an LED - dead bulb makes more sense. Will look into how you clean the key switches.

RIFA cap looks to be exactly the same as one of the ones in the BBC Micro so getting one should be no problem - unless there is a better quality part anyone can suggest.

Prime

Post by Prime » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:38 pm

markjw wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:42 am
The machine is the original model of the IIe, it does not have the 'Enhancement' kit with the 65C02 CPU and new ROMs
Once you get it going of course......

You can use the WDC65c02 + programming some Eproms to upgrade to the enhanced version, I've done that with one of my IIe machines.

Cheers.

Phill.

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:22 pm

markjw wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:32 pm
RIFA cap looks to be exactly the same as one of the ones in the BBC Micro so getting one should be no problem - unless there is a better quality part anyone can suggest.
Any good quality (meaning a brand name type sold by proper electronic suppliers) class X2 capacitor that has the same value, the same lead pitch and which fits on the PCB is suitable. You don’t have to put another Rifa branded capacitor in.

Mark

danielj

Post by danielj » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:00 pm

I've 65C02'd mine, and stuck in new ROMs (you can use 27C128s double programmed, they work fine :) )

d.

markjw

Post by markjw » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:30 am

booted to basic and gave the PR#6 command a try - just sits there until you reboot the machine. Chips on the disk card are all cold so doesn't look like any of them are shorted. Will pull the floppy drive apart and have a look inside to see if anything obvious.

'T' has started working again after giving it a bit of 'exercise' - going to order up a 5mm white LED and a resistor to replace the bulb for the power light.

markjw

Post by markjw » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:45 am

well, serves me right for not checking for the stupid things first - ribbon cable was not fully connected inside the drive.

So now getting drive activity on power up - next I need to see if I can obtain some bootable Apple floppy disks

iainjh

Post by iainjh » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:56 am

great news!

I can recommend "adtpro" to send disk images (even a bootable image of itself) over serial or audio to the apple. Runs on windows or mac.Do you have a serial card or better, a super serial?
Last edited by iainjh on Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

markjw

Post by markjw » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:02 pm

don't have a serial card (have to keep an eye out for one), but it looks like ADTPro can bootstrap over the cassette ports - not ideal but if it works, then should be good enough to test with