PICO-8: a fantasy game/dev console

Talk about non-Acorn classic computers/hardware/software here (including retro consoles)
lurkio

PICO-8: a fantasy game/dev console

Post by lurkio » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:56 pm

PICO-8 is deliberately minimal, least of everything. 128x128 screen, palette carefully chosen. But the dev tools are built in. Boots into a prompt. Has a sprite editor, map editor, sound editor in ROM ...

What makes a console a console is not the hardware. It’s the tools, the community, the way it acts as a distribution platform.

"Delightful game development" with PICO-8:

Some PICO-8 games you can play:

Previously on Stardot:
:idea:
Last edited by lurkio on Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kieranhj

Re: PICO-8: a fantasy game/dev console

Post by kieranhj » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:37 pm

I love PICO-8! Unfortunately I haven't had any time to develop anything for it.. (Plus also not being an expert on LUA but how hard can it be. :) )
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

RobC

Post by RobC » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:08 pm

I love the look of these games. A few months ago, I briefly wondered whether it might be possible to build a Beeb version using the Pi co-pro and NuLA.

I decided that I lacked the Lua knowledge. Perhaps someone else would be up for the challenge? [-o<

javierglez

Post by javierglez » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:10 am

If someone just wants to experiment with the PICO 8 concept, without purchasing the app and further commiting to the platform, there's LIKO 12. It's kind of a clone and can be downloaded for free. I've had moderate success porting to LIKO 12 some short programs from the PICO 8 Tweetjam. These programs are some kind of few-liner mini-demos.
From a retro hobbyist point of view, I'm confident that some of the less demanding code could be rewritten for vintage systems (ditching Lua for assembler, of course).

Dave Footitt

Post by Dave Footitt » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:28 pm

I really like Pico 8, I wrote a version of Depth Charge on it a few years ago!

Take a look here if you're interested.