Adopt Startdot for SWTPC!

Talk about non-Acorn classic computers/hardware/software here (including retro consoles)
Elminster

Adopt Startdot for SWTPC!

Post by Elminster » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:52 pm

Following up from chatting to various people at the South ABUG last weekend I thought I better put some info up about the 6800.

The SWTPC 6800/09's are a little home less currently. Search Facebook and you can count the number of posts on 1 maybe 2 hands. Even on the Vintage Computer Fest Forum, even though it has a load of sections for different types of machine, SWPTC just comes under 'other'. Also not that many videos on youtube, and probably less than a dozen useful ones. So the community doesnt appear huge, even less so in the UK as it was a kit imported around 75-85, so expensive and need to be built. The system I have cost around £1500 in 1980ish.

Luckily between http://swtpc.com and www.flexusergroup.com most information about the hardware and software exists online.

I have started adding some info on my site about what I have. A learning experince as I last used one of these when I was somewhere around 8 or 9 years old. To start with I am cataloging and taking an inventory of what I have.

So far I have done the documentation that came with the sysem, quite a lot in fact. In addition to what is on the list there is a lost of listings where the original owner disassembled and commented everything. I plan at somepoint to scan anything I cannot find elsewhere on the web (looks like 2 docs, the listings and some other hand written notes, will need to be scanned).

Anyway the link to this on going (not Acorn) project is here.
Last edited by Elminster on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

RobC

Re: Adopt Startdot for SWTPC!

Post by RobC » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:31 pm

Great stuff - I know that a few of us on here are also on the FUFU mailing list.

And for those who own a Pi or matchbox co-pro, you can even run FLEX on your Acorn...

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:49 pm

I also have the new 6809 board for the rc2014 but not built it yet. The 6809, real, pitube or other should run UniFLEX, alas my SWTPC 6800 doesn’t.

I remember joining the fufu list but need to see what happen as I think it is not working, or my spam filter is eating it.

Edit: Corrected typos.
Last edited by Elminster on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobC

Post by RobC » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:55 pm

Elminster wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:49 pm
The 6809, real, pitube or other should run UniFLEX, also my SWTPC 6800 doesn’t.
I was interested in porting UniFLEX at one point but wasn't been able to find out very much about it. Something akin to the FLEX Adaptation Guide would be ideal.
Elminster wrote:
I remember joining the fufu list but need to see what happen as I think it is not working, or my spam filter it eating it.
It's fairly quiet but I got a couple of messages from it today.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:28 pm

Have you tried running flex on Electron? Might be fun as mine has gosdc and pitube plugged in.

Edit: I do have a DC but the Pegasus board it in the loft I think.

RobC

Post by RobC » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:49 am

Elminster wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:28 pm
Have you tried running flex on Electron? Might be fun as mine has gosdc and pitube plugged in.
Not yet. I do have an ATI and have had Panos running on it - just need to write a FLEX disk for the Plus 3.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:33 pm

RobC wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:55 pm
Elminster wrote:
I remember joining the fufu list but need to see what happen as I think it is not working, or my spam filter it eating it.
It's fairly quiet but I got a couple of messages from it today.
I rememebr now the subcribe seemed to be busted.

i tried 2 different emials addresses, and two different email clients (in case an address was blocked, or a client was adding stuff to blank message. And I also sent emails to myself to see if anythign was being added.

But following the instructions to send 'SUBSCRIBE' in the subject with no text in body jsut results in a 'you are not allowed to post error', as though there was text in the message, but there is none. I should probably report it but forgot until you reminded me.

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:16 pm

Most of the documentation I dug through to work out 6800/6809 code and BIOS coding was SWTPC stuff. Interesting little machine.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_