GoTek Floppy - MDFS

Talk about non-Acorn classic computers/hardware/software here (including retro consoles)
Ottly

GoTek Floppy - MDFS

Post by Ottly » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:36 am

Hi,

Been playing with a GoTek (Flash Floppy firmware v0.9.8a) with a MDFS SJ Research File Server.

I can't seem to create a blank .HFE disk image that I can initialise or format within the MDFS.

I used HxCFloppyEmulator v2.1.8.0 to create a disk dump image from an actual 5.24" MDFS Master FS ver 2 Floppy Disk that I have. This appears to work successfully in the GoTek connected to the MDFS. Server boots from it and performs normally. But if I try to format this working floppy disk image it fails.

The MDFS in Utility mode reports

Floppy disc error 10, block 0000
Error while writing root - disc useless.

Attached is the image of the MDFS Master Disk which can be loaded into HxCFloppyEmulator.
You should also be able to use it on your own MDFS server in a GoTek if you have one.
MDFS Master FS Ver 2.zip
(421.79 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Thanks Scott.

danielj

Re: GoTek Floppy - MDFS

Post by danielj » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:48 am

Scott, hello :) (Daniel again, same as on facebook) - Have you built a debug build of flashfloppy? It dumps out the timings and so on on the serial port. Keir's quite good at working out roughly what's going wrong on that basis... I haven't got my MDFS set up yet so haven't had a chance to look. In truth, all I did with mine was use flashfloppy to boot the thing, I didn't try formatting/writing to disks...

d.

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:59 pm

There's a couple of MDFS disk images here you can use for testing:
http://mdfs.net/Mirror/Image/SJ/MDFS/

FLOPPY is a blank disk, other than two directories with sample access strings and account numbers,
MASTER is a master startup disk.

MDFS floppies are 1024 bytes x 5 sectors x 2 sides x 80 tracks - effectively ADFS D/E. That is, interleaved tracks, where both sides of each track is used before stepping to the next track.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

danielj

Post by danielj » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:58 pm

Just to note, there's an issue with writing with flashfloppy 0.98 - check the bug log:

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/issues/53

So I'd go back to 0.97 and see if that's better?

d.

Ottly

Post by Ottly » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:46 pm

I’ve tried using early firmware 0.97 & 0.96. Has made no difference.

Thanks for the link to the disk images Jgharston. Any idea how I successfully make them into .HFE images? I’ve tried creating a custom disk layout in HxCemulator 5x1024 and then import as a raw image format. But the MDFS doesn’t recognise them so I must be doing something wrong.

I’ll move onto generating a debug build. Daniel does this require me to compile my own firmware build with serial debug output enabled?

danielj

Post by danielj » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:29 am

Yes, let me see if I can dig out the instructions on how to do it, I can't find them at the moment :?

d.