Empty The Dragon

Talk about non-Acorn classic computers/hardware/software here (including retro consoles)
AndyF

Empty The Dragon

Post by AndyF » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:32 pm

Did you see what I did with the title ? :oops: Perhaps it was because I was playing Bruce Lee earlier today.

Somewhere buried amongst a pile of other bits, I have an empty Dragon32 case. It has a keyboard but no main board.

Regarding the (awful) title pun, I did not "empty" it, its an unpopulated case not in a brilliant state either. Mainboard already awol.

Any ideas on a possible use for it ? I was half wondering about sticking a different 8bit board of some description in it or a Pi (not terribly keen on them tbh) , the keyboard might be a bit tricky to wire in.

Any thoughts would be appreciated on what to do with it, apart from finding a Dragon board to put in it. I'm just after inspiration at a sensible price. :)

Before anyone asks: Sorry, I do not have a PSU or any other bits for this machine, as I know the PSU is slightly odd and sometimes can attract a "lolprice" on Ebay. Odd voltages output although not too difficult to make one if needed. There might be the odd Rom chip or something floating about but I do not have any "spares" as such that I'm aware of.
Andy

* NEW * The Jetset Willy and Manic Miner community :)

Adventure games ported across to the BBC (in progress) as soon as I can find some time!

daveejhitchins

Re: Empty The Dragon

Post by daveejhitchins » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:27 am

Have a word with Prime - he’s well into Dragons and may have some ideas for you.

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

tricky

Post by tricky » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:39 pm

Pi (even thought you dislike them) with dragon emulator, might need a bit of hacking to handle the keyboard via the gpio pins.

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:31 pm

Thanks both. :)

Part of the reason to maybe (I say maybe :) ) keep it 'Dragon Free' is simply as I'd have to buy a Pi and any other bits/pieces to connect it all, the cost of that could prossibly approach the cost of a standard replacement Dragon PCB from Ebay :-k , if I went that far I might as well complete the job, build a PSU and be 'done' :D , although its not a rare machine...

I should say I'd not take a working Dragon apart for this 'idea' its simply as I have a 'unused case' as such that's all. :)

I do have a Dragon emulator (Xroar) and its not too bad to use anyway all in all. I do have to confess I prefer my Oric (although there are not as many titles for that it seems) and the emulators need some love it seems or I've not found a good one, but that's something entirely different.
Andy

Adventure games ported across to the BBC (in progress) as soon as I can find some time!

Boydie

Post by Boydie » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:45 am

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:22 pm

That's quite an interesting thought as the module can live inside the case and be connected to "something else" inside the case too, rather than it just being an 'empty keyboard box' hmm.
Andy