PICO-8: a fantasy game/dev console

Talk about non-Acorn classic computers/hardware/software here (including retro consoles)
lurkio

PICO-8: a fantasy game/dev console

Post by lurkio » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:56 pm

PICO-8 is deliberately minimal, least of everything. 128x128 screen, palette carefully chosen. But the dev tools are built in. Boots into a prompt. Has a sprite editor, map editor, sound editor in ROM ...

What makes a console a console is not the hardware. It’s the tools, the community, the way it acts as a distribution platform.

"Delightful game development" with PICO-8:

Some PICO-8 games you can play:

Previously on Stardot:
:idea:
Last edited by lurkio on Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kieranhj

Re: PICO-8: a fantasy game/dev console

Post by kieranhj » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:37 pm

I love PICO-8! Unfortunately I haven't had any time to develop anything for it.. (Plus also not being an expert on LUA but how hard can it be. :) )
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

RobC

Post by RobC » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:08 pm

I love the look of these games. A few months ago, I briefly wondered whether it might be possible to build a Beeb version using the Pi co-pro and NuLA.

I decided that I lacked the Lua knowledge. Perhaps someone else would be up for the challenge? [-o<

javierglez

Post by javierglez » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:10 am

If someone just wants to experiment with the PICO 8 concept, without purchasing the app and further commiting to the platform, there's LIKO 12. It's kind of a clone and can be downloaded for free. I've had moderate success porting to LIKO 12 some short programs from the PICO 8 Tweetjam. These programs are some kind of few-liner mini-demos.
From a retro hobbyist point of view, I'm confident that some of the less demanding code could be rewritten for vintage systems (ditching Lua for assembler, of course).