Some Apple II's needing TLC at Hampshire ABUG

Talk about non-Acorn classic computers/hardware/software here (including retro consoles)
Bagpuss

Some Apple II's needing TLC at Hampshire ABUG

Post by Bagpuss » Mon May 14, 2018 12:41 pm

Hi All,

I've already mentioned this briefly in the ABUG thread, but thought this would be a better place for the discussion.

One of my best friends passed away just over a year ago from a brain tumour. We'd worked together at Sun for many years, and I regularly stayed with him and his family when I was working out of the Camberley offices. In fact, I'm going to be staying with his family during the meet.

When I was helping his widow go through his tech stuff, I found the computers which started it all for him... his Apple II's.
I've not yet looked at it closely, but I know that caps in the PSU will need to be changed before we can try to power it on.

His family would very much like to get the computer working again, and it's with this, that I'd really appreciate some help.

I've included some pics below of the systems in question. Next step is to work out what X2 caps are needed. If anyone knows, or can point me in the right direction, that would be great.

Thanks,

Andy.
resized000.png
resized001.png
resized002.png
resized003.png
resized004.png
resized005.png
resized006.png
resized007.png
resized008.png
resized009.png
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless.

Prime

Re: Some Apple II's needing TLC at Hampshire ABUG

Post by Prime » Mon May 14, 2018 4:15 pm

The Power supplies will be screwed into the case, would it be possible to remove them from the cases and check if they are screwed or riveted together?

If they are screwed would it be possible to open the PSU up and take a good quality picture of the insides of the PSUs, that way we can hopefully identify what type and value of X2 caps they have, that way I can maybe order some to bring to the meetup.

I seem to remember that my IIe had 2x X2 caps one of which was the same as one of the beeb ones but the other was a much bigger value (and bigger pitch) 330nf rings bells, but would be good to know what they need beforehand.

Please make sure however before opening the supplies that the machines have not been turned on within the last 24 hours, just to make sure everything is discharged.

Cheers.

Phill.

kieranhj

Post by kieranhj » Mon May 14, 2018 5:00 pm

I also have an Apple IIe that I have (shamefully :oops: ) never attempted to turn on since obtaining it from eBay. If there is going to be a small Apple II corner then I will bring this along as well, if that's OK? (This is assuming I make it to ABUG at all, it's a bit touch & go with work at the moment.)

I'll take a look at the power supply beforehand as requesed. At least I can get some parts ordered if nothing else.
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

danielj

Post by danielj » Mon May 14, 2018 5:17 pm

The IIe PSU has a 0.47uF RIFA, and a 0.1uF too. Not sure about any of the others - I know that the US PSUs only have one X2 ...

d.

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Mon May 14, 2018 6:09 pm

danielj wrote:The IIe PSU has a 0.47uF RIFA, and a 0.1uF too. Not sure about any of the others - I know that the US PSUs only have one X2 ...

d.
Pitch (pin spacing distance) would be helpful :wink:

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

danielj

Post by danielj » Mon May 14, 2018 6:49 pm

1" on the 0.47uF, the other is the same as the beeb :D (iirc!) - there are additional holes there, so it can take a variety of different pitches.

d.

Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss » Tue May 15, 2018 11:51 am

Prime wrote:The Power supplies will be screwed into the case, would it be possible to remove them from the cases and check if they are screwed or riveted together?

If they are screwed would it be possible to open the PSU up and take a good quality picture of the insides of the PSUs, that way we can hopefully identify what type and value of X2 caps they have, that way I can maybe order some to bring to the meetup.
Thanks Phill.

I'm afraid I can't check the machines, as they're in Hampshire and I'm at home in Cornwall now. The next time I've got physical access will be at ABUG.
The PSUs appear to be screwed together, so hopefully not too difficult to take apart.

Thanks also to Daniel for the details of the caps so far. Hopefully, that will be enough to get us started.
I'm going to keep looking online to see if I can find any more references for this.

Andy.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless.

Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss » Mon May 21, 2018 10:58 am

Found the following page which talks about the PSUs:
http://www.appleii-box.de/D04_allabotpowersupplies.htm

Can't find anything specific about the PSU in the original Apple II, with regards to the capacitors.
Have posted to a couple of Apple II forums, so hopefully will find the answers.

martinw

Post by martinw » Wed May 23, 2018 2:11 pm

Prime

Post by Prime » Wed May 23, 2018 7:20 pm

I've bought some 0.47uf X2s, and have 0.1uf for doing beebs, just gotta remember to bring them......

Cheers.

Phill.

Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss » Wed May 30, 2018 11:06 am

Prime wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:20 pm
I've bought some 0.47uf X2s, and have 0.1uf for doing beebs, just gotta remember to bring them......

Cheers.

Phill.
Thanks Phill. Very much appreciated. I'll have eyes on the machines on Thursday evening. Will take the PSUs apart, and see what's in there.
Hopefully, they won't be riveted. Am going to bring my drill and pop rivet stuff, just in case.

Andy.

Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:31 am

Just wanted to say a massive thanks to Phill for all his help is getting the two Apple IIs up and running again.
A shining example of what makes this community such a great place to be involved in.

Thank you, Phill.