Sega Mega Drive II with Mega-CD and 32x

Talk about non-Acorn classic computers/hardware/software here (including retro consoles)
mark.treleaven

Sega Mega Drive II with Mega-CD and 32x

Post by mark.treleaven » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:51 pm

I have got this setup cheap due to it not working.

The Mega Drive it self was due to broken solder joint on the dc in jack and I have fixed this. The problem is with the 32x module.

When I connect it up regardless of the cart that is fitted being 16 or 32 bit when I switch everything on I get the "made under licence" info from the 32x module but nothing from the game cartridges.

I know the 16 bit carts are good as they work fine when directly fitted into the console without the 32x being in.

I have removed and cleaned the two white cables inside the 32x, but this does not seem to have done anything.

Is there anything I have missed, I also know these 32x modules are quite flaky to start with.

Any help/advice is appreciated.
Mark

vanpeebles

Re: Sega Mega Drive II with Mega-CD and 32x

Post by vanpeebles » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:25 pm

Do you have all the cables? It should have an av connector between the two, then the final output.

mark.treleaven

Post by mark.treleaven » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:36 am

Hi
Thanks for the quick reply

Yes I have a power supply connected to the Mega-CD, the Sega itself and the 32x module.

There is an AV cable from the Sega itself to the 32x, then the 32x has the Yellow/White/Red Composite Video and Audio cable connected to a scart adapator.

As I mentioned I am getting the "made under licence to Sega" message when everything is on, but the game info from the cartridge does not seem to be getting through into the Sega itself.

topcat96

Post by topcat96 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:08 am

Try following this guy's cleaning regime with a faulty 32x. It may be something as simple as crud and build-up in the cartridge slot that needs removing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiLPd4Mu-fk

chinnyhill10

Post by chinnyhill10 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:28 pm

mark.treleaven wrote:.

Any help/advice is appreciated.
Mark
Make sure both sides of the connection and clean. What looks clean may not actually be clean. Proper contact cleaner and a toothbrush in the Megadrive end and a swab on the edge connector end then leave to dry overnight. Do it in a ventilated room, contact cleaner is nasty stuff and is far more potent than the usual alcohol I suggest for cartridges.

sbadger

Post by sbadger » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:48 am

just to iterate the other guys, i've had this message from carts due to dirty contacts, on the machine and the cart.
So many projects, so little time...

mark.treleaven

Post by mark.treleaven » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:58 pm

Thank you all for the messages and links.

When I opened up the 32x module to perform the cleaning methods I noticed some of the capacitors were starting to rupture.

I have ordered replacement caps, I will fit and clean it all on Tuesday hopefully and retest and hopefully post some positive results for you all.

Thanks again all.

Update you soon

mark.treleaven

Post by mark.treleaven » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:33 pm

Hi everyone

Sorry for the delay in writing a response

Just a quick update, I have replaced every through hole capacitor on the 32x module, and cleaned and reseated both the white ribbon cables.

I have also cleaned the cartridge slot on the 32x and the connector on the bottom of the 32x that goes into the cartridge slot on the Mega Drive.

I also cleaned the Mega Drive cartridge slot as well.

But I am sad to report that there is no change in the fault.

When I use the Mega Drive with a cartridge as normal everything works ok, when I fit the 32x module neither standard or 32x cartridges work.
Like before I just get the "Made under licence" message when first powered on, then just a blank screen with no audio, so it looks like the information from the cartridge is not getting through to the console.

sbadger

Post by sbadger » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:31 pm

You've got the AV pass through cables all set correctly?

mark.treleaven

Post by mark.treleaven » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:28 pm

Yes I have the AV cables ok

I have the short cable going from the back of the console to the input on the 32x and the other cable going from the 32x to the TV.

sbadger

Post by sbadger » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:40 am

I understand the biggest weakness on the 32x are those internal ribbon cables, they can look connected when not. it might be worth running a meter either sides to check continuity.

I'm sure you've already looked, but this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEXw6f6VKX0 seems similar to your problem.