Designing a new Atom keyboard

discussion of games, software, hardware & emulators relating to the Acorn Atom and Acorn System machines.
roland

Designing a new Atom keyboard

Post by roland » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:03 pm

There has been talk, maybe too much talk about the shortage of Atom keyboards. And housings too. Maybe we should just put the cat among the pigeons and start this project. I'm willing to investigate :mrgreen:

Who on this forum has (access to) a 3D printer that can print an object of about 380 x 280 x 65 mm? And what would it cost?

An alternative is a smaller box because the main board can be placed below the keyboard, just like the Electron.
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:

PhilYoung

Re: Designing a new Atom keyboard

Post by PhilYoung » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:39 am

roland wrote:There has been talk, maybe too much talk about the shortage of Atom keyboards. And housings too. Maybe we should just put the cat among the pigeons and start this project. I'm willing to investigate :mrgreen:

Who on this forum has (access to) a 3D printer that can print an object of about 380 x 280 x 65 mm? And what would it cost?

An alternative is a smaller box because the main board can be placed below the keyboard, just like the Electron.
I think that might be a little optimistic for home or hobby printers. The 'Mendel' iterations have a print volume bounded by an approximately 200mm cube for example. So anything larger would have to be printed in sections and designed with dovetail joints or pegs/sockets or similar. Or just glued.

How would a keyboard be printable in any case ? The keycaps could be of course, but how would you intend to do the actual keyswitches ?

Cheers,

Phil Young

roland

Post by roland » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:14 am

Hi Phil,

I didn't want to print the switches and key caps. A set of keys and caps will cost about €60-€70. And that's for the Cherry keys we talked about in the main board thread. I have two samples of those keys and they are really nice (although also really expensive) keys. The caps are smaller than the original Atom caps so the Atom case has to be adjusted to the new keyboard size. And that case is the only object that has to be printed with the 3D printer.

Greetings,
Roland
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:

harrowm

Post by harrowm » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:19 pm

Print volume looks tricky .. The printers that print to this size like the Fortus 450 look expensive ..
https://www.prismeng.com/3d-printers/pr ... 450mc.aspx

Malcolm

PhilYoung

Post by PhilYoung » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:15 pm

roland wrote:Hi Phil,

I didn't want to print the switches and key caps. A set of keys and caps will cost about €60-€70. And that's for the Cherry keys we talked about in the main board thread. I have two samples of those keys and they are really nice (although also really expensive) keys. The caps are smaller than the original Atom caps so the Atom case has to be adjusted to the new keyboard size. And that case is the only object that has to be printed with the 3D printer.

Greetings,
Roland
That makes sense Roland. Maybe something like 'shapeways' would be feasible, no idea what the cost would be though.

Cheers,

Phil Young