Atom GODIL VGA Adapter

discussion of games, software, hardware & emulators relating to the Acorn Atom and Acorn System machines.
roland

Re: Atom GODIL VGA Adapter

Post by roland » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:41 pm

Hi Dave,
- bit 7: 0=Text, 1=Semigraphics 6 (resolution 160x120)
- bit 6: 0=Normal, 1=Flashing
- bits 3-5: Background Colour
- bits 2-0: Foreground Colour
This is a good proposition. Another attribute is underline, but that wouldn't fit in a byte, or we have to offer a bit from the colours or not flashing as this can be emulated in software if it is really needed in a program.

Scrolling takes twice as much work, but it is also possible to define two different modes in software. One monochrome mode for e.g. developing a program. In this modes there are no attributes handled by the vdu driver - or all characters have the same attribute. This gives us normal speed scrolling. In the other mode, the software updates the attributes as well, so scrolling is slower, but while in a program you can also clear the screen and start writing from the first line, so the slow scrolling isn't a problem.

Regards,
Roland
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:27 pm

Hi Roland,

I've just finished implementing character attributes:
IMG_0509.JPG
The format of each attribute byte is:
b7 - 0 for text, 1 for semigraphics
b6 - background red
b5 - background green
b4 - background blue
b3 - 0 for normal, 1 for underline
b2 - foreground red
b1 - foreground green
b0 - foreground blue

These reside from #8C80 to #98FF, and correspond to the characters at #8000 to #8C7F.

The default behaviour is attributes disabled. To enable attributes:
?#BDE4=#88

I'll try to write some better documentation for the GODIL registers, as there are now quite a few...

I've also re-compiled OSWRCH80 to #9A00 to avoid colliding with the attributes.

Have fun!

Dave

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:45 pm

Latest bits are in the vga80 branch:
https://github.com/hoglet67/AtomGodilVideo/tree/vga80

Just noticed a small bug with the positioning of the first column :(

Dave

roland

Post by roland » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:53 pm

Hi Dave,

It's not only amazing that a simple looking plug-in board like GODIL can do this, but it is even more amazing how quick you can implement these features =D>

I think I'm leaving the jtag cable connected to my GODIL so I don't have to reopen my Atom every two days :lol: and if I open it tomorrow I can connect another flying lead for the reset signal. It becomes really necessary with all those additional features.

I'm looking forward to next Friday, to show all this great work at our monthly user group meeting.

Greetings,
Roland

roland

Post by roland » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:04 pm

Hi Dave,

I'm happy to confirm that the character base attributes also work on my GODIL - not that I expected otherwise :)

I have seen the first column bug after I filled all attributes with underline. Before that, I didn't notice it.

I think it's now time to write a decent vdu driver for all those beautiful features. If you're not in a very, very big rush, I want to start with it. My first step would be to make scrolling with attributes work and the next step to extend the driver with vdu codes like BBC basic uses them. Then we can directly use them in BBC Basic of ATBasic2.

Regards,
Roland

roland

Post by roland » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:02 pm

Hi Dave,

I was investigating why in de current oswrch80 the first and a half line are coloured green after a PRINT $12. When I looked at the sources I found this:

Code: Select all

.CLEARMORE
        sta SCREEN+$200,Y
        sta SCREEN+$300,Y
           ... etc ...
        sta SCREEN+$b00,Y
        sta SCREEN+$c00,Y
        rts
At #8C80 start the attribute memory space. So the routine to clear the screen also rewrites the first 80 attributes. The same goes for the scroll routine.

So I fixed those two annoying bugs and the first steps to a decent vdu driver are set. Speed is not optimal, but as there are 12 loops in a row to clear the screen or scroll a line, I think by optimizing those routines we can decrease used memory space and increase speed.

With this update the attributes also scroll with the screen and the new line gets the attribute of the last scrolled line.

Regards,
Roland
Attachments
OSWRCH80.zip
(5.07 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:07 pm

Hi Roland,

Go for it !!!!

I'm not going to have much spare time for the next few weeks, as I'm back to being busy at work, and will be travelling a bit. I'll try to figure out that first column glitch. It's also in the original design, if you look carefully here:
http://www.javiervalcarce.eu/upload/0/06/Vga80x40.jpg

It would be great to keep the driver code under revision control, for example in GitHub, so we can track changes, make sure we have the latest version etc. This is something I really miss with some of the other Atom projects like AtomMMC.

Dave

roland

Post by roland » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:16 pm

Hi Dave,

I was just looking if I can abuse the COLOUR statement to set the attribute, but that cannot work as it doesn't store its parameter.

Can you give me access to the oswrch on your github? Can this be updated by the webinterface or do I have to install a client?

Don't bother about the first column. I know that you will fix it before the end of this year :wink:

I will also be busy with work and other projects, but I surely keep working on the OSWRCH80 driver otherwise these nice features are useless. And that's something we won't allow, will we?

Greetings,
Roland

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:24 pm

Roland,

If you create yourself a github account, and PM me the username I'll add you as a collaborator.

You need to install a command line git client on your development machine.

Dave

roland

Post by roland » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:13 pm

Hi Dave,

I have created an account and sent you a PM.

I also started to experiment with an attribute byte in the wrch routine. Basically it works, but I have some issues with scrolling and clearing the screen.

It's almost impossible to develop the driver on my desktop computer and then transfer it to the Atom by swapping the MMC card. So I'm going to create a link between the Atom and my desktop computer to make development easier. But that will take some time as my days, evenings and weekend are quite full. I wonder if I live to work or work to live .... #-o

Greetings,
Roland

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:47 pm

Roland,

I'm not seeing an PM on this forum from you....

Dave

roland

Post by roland » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:52 pm

Hmmm ... must be an user error. I tried again to send an pm.

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:27 pm

Thanks Roland,

I got it that time, and have added you as a collaborator to the GitHub project.

I've also just fixed the small hardware bug that was causing misalignment of the left column. That's been bugging me since Sunday!

Dave

roland

Post by roland » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:34 pm

That's nice. I really do reprogram my godil every two days :) and it keeps getting better. The funny thing about the bug is that either you do not notice it, and when you once noticed it, it gets annoying. I can imagine that it keeps you wake at night :wink:

I'll set up my git client and contribute the latest version so far.

Regards,
Roland

PhilYoung

Post by PhilYoung » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:46 pm

I finally gave in to temptation and ordered a GODIL which arrived earlier this week.

It turns out that my Xilinx parallel adapter chinese clone won't directly work with it. I'm sure it's fine electrically, but the GODIL uses a 2mm pitch header for the JTAG connector and the only cables I have are the normal 0.1in type, including the single core versions. I didn't want to wait for the slow boat from china with a suitable ebay replacement so I've ordered the proper GODIL one which I should have ordered in the first place. My loss is UPSs gain.

In the meantime I've been re-reading this thread. I have a couple of questions, so could someone (Hoglet or Roland probably) maybe comment on these :

1. I'm fairly sure that bypassing the level shifters is only needed if you intend to use PL4 for the VGA output and this isn't needed if the test connector is used ?

2. Is the current firmware OK for output to the test connector as well as via PL4 ?

3. What is suitable for the audio output - is it OK just to connect the Atom speaker (which I think is 8 ohms) or another similar one or is some sort of buffer amp needed ? I don't have any monitors with audio in so can't go that route.

Cheers,

Phil Young

roland

Post by roland » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:21 pm

Hi Phil,

I'll try to answer your questions:

1. I'm fairly sure that bypassing the level shifters is only needed if you intend to use PL4 for the VGA output and this isn't needed if the test connector is used ?

That's correct. I use the output to the test connector and bypassing the level shifters is not needed. Use separated shielded cables for audio and video signals otherwise the audio will disturb the video signal, so that's really important.

2. Is the current firmware OK for output to the test connector as well as via PL4 ?

AFAIK yes. There is a jumper setting to choose one of them. If you do not place this jumper, the output goes to the test connector.

3. What is suitable for the audio output - is it OK just to connect the Atom speaker (which I think is 8 ohms) or another similar one or is some sort of buffer amp needed ? I don't have any monitors with audio in so can't go that route.

I'm not sure if it's wise to connect the Atom speaker directly to the GODIL. Hoglet once mentioned to build a very small amplifier and feed both the Atom audio and GODIL audio into that amplifier. I use the internal speakers of my monitor. But any cheap computer speaker set with build in amplifier will do the job.

Greetings,
Roland

PhilYoung

Post by PhilYoung » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:45 pm

roland wrote:Hi Phil,

I'll try to answer your questions:

That's correct. I use the output to the test connector and bypassing the level shifters is not needed. Use separated shielded cables for audio and video signals otherwise the audio will disturb the video signal, so that's really important.

AFAIK yes. There is a jumper setting to choose one of them. If you do not place this jumper, the output goes to the test connector.

I'm not sure if it's wise to connect the Atom speaker directly to the GODIL. Hoglet once mentioned to build a very small amplifier and feed both the Atom audio and GODIL audio into that amplifier. I use the internal speakers of my monitor. But any cheap computer speaker set with build in amplifier will do the job.

Greetings,
Roland
Thanks for that, I have an old set of powered PC-style speakers so I'll try those - I hadn't considered that. I didn't think it was a good idea to put 8 ohms across the FPGA output without buffering.

I'll try this next week when the parallel adapter arrives if i have time,

Cheers,

Phil

roland

Post by roland » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:17 pm

OK. Good luck, although with the instructions of Hoglet it's not that difficult.

Also keep in mind that in his post with the connections at the test connector the HS and VS are swapped. And you can also start downloading the Xilinx software already as it really takes a few hours. After that you have to get a registration key, it's free but also takes some time to find your way on their site. If you need the software only for programming the GODIL, then version 10.1 is good enough, update 3 is recommended but also not necessary. I didn't install it.

Cheers,
Roland

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:31 pm

Hey Phil,

Everything Roland said is spot on.

Just to avoid any confusion with the test connector pinout, this is the correct pinout taken directly from the Xilinx constraint file:

NET "VSYNC"  LOC="P48" | IOSTANDARD = LVCMOS33 ; # connector pin E2 
NET "HSYNC"  LOC="P49" | IOSTANDARD = LVCMOS33 ; # connector pin E3
NET "R<0>"   LOC="P27" | IOSTANDARD = LVCMOS33 ; # connector pin E4
NET "G<1>"   LOC="P44" | IOSTANDARD = LVCMOS33 ; # connector pin E5
NET "G<0>"   LOC="P50" | IOSTANDARD = LVCMOS33 ; # connector pin E6
NET "B<0>"   LOC="P42" | IOSTANDARD = LVCMOS33 ; # connector pin E7
NET "AUDIO"   LOC="P99" | IOSTANDARD = LVCMOS33 ; # connector pin E8
Pin E1 - the left most pin - is GND
Pin E9 - the right most pin - is 3.3V and should be left unconnected

Dave

PhilYoung

Post by PhilYoung » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:46 pm

roland wrote:OK. Good luck, although with the instructions of Hoglet it's not that difficult.

Also keep in mind that in his post with the connections at the test connector the HS and VS are swapped. And you can also start downloading the Xilinx software already as it really takes a few hours. After that you have to get a registration key, it's free but also takes some time to find your way on their site. If you need the software only for programming the GODIL, then version 10.1 is good enough, update 3 is recommended but also not necessary. I didn't install it.

Cheers,
Roland
Thanks, I've got the appropriate software already. The later versions work with the parallel cable but aren't officially supported as I understand it (it certainly works with v14.2 for instance). I think later versions are only needed to recognise later FPGAs.

Cheers,

Phil oung

PhilYoung

Post by PhilYoung » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:57 pm

hoglet wrote:Hey Phil,

Everything Roland said is spot on.

Just to avoid any confusion with the test connector pinout, this is the correct pinout taken directly from the Xilinx constraint file:

NET "VSYNC"  LOC="P48" | IOSTANDARD = LVCMOS33 ; # connector pin E2 
NET "HSYNC"  LOC="P49" | IOSTANDARD = LVCMOS33 ; # connector pin E3
NET "R<0>"   LOC="P27" | IOSTANDARD = LVCMOS33 ; # connector pin E4
NET "G<1>"   LOC="P44" | IOSTANDARD = LVCMOS33 ; # connector pin E5
NET "G<0>"   LOC="P50" | IOSTANDARD = LVCMOS33 ; # connector pin E6
NET "B<0>"   LOC="P42" | IOSTANDARD = LVCMOS33 ; # connector pin E7
NET "AUDIO"   LOC="P99" | IOSTANDARD = LVCMOS33 ; # connector pin E8
Pin E1 - the left most pin - is GND
Pin E9 - the right most pin - is 3.3V and should be left unconnected

Dave
Thanks, I'll give it a go when the parallel adapter arrives and I've got time to sort it all out. Since my original Atom is nice and stable I might try this on a dodgy ebay Atom board that I haven't yet dared to power up yet due to rather too many poorly soldered patch wires, so maybe I'll have to get that going first.

It would probably help future adopters if you could do a README summary of the hardware connections and control registers in the Github archive - I hope this doesn't sound ungrateful, the information is all in the thread.

Thanks for the information,

Phil

roland

Post by roland » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:06 pm

Hi Dave,

I updated the godil for the first character bug. It is fixed now but I have found another bug. The underline at the last column is one pixel too high. The character itself is correct.

Please don't rush to fix it. Just wanted to let you know in case it's going to rain this weekend :D

Greetings,
Roland
image.jpg

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:12 pm

Hi Phil,
PhilYoung wrote:It would probably help future adopters if you could do a README summary of the hardware connections and control registers in the Github archive - I hope this doesn't sound ungrateful, the information is all in the thread.
That's my plan for tomorrow - and long overdue!

(I'm always the guy at work insisting on writing stuff down first!)

Dave

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:15 pm

Hi Roland,
roland wrote:I updated the godil for the first character bug. It is fixed now but I have found another bug. The underline at the last column is one pixel too high. The character itself is correct.
I can find this bug even after several beers and a curry.

yu <= not y when ((attr(3) = '1') and (chry = 0010)) else y
should be

yu <= not y when ((attr(3) = '1') and (chry_r = 0010)) else y
I'll fix tomorrow and post a new .bit file.

You still have the cable ready for the next 48 hour update?

Dave

roland

Post by roland » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:22 pm

Yep, cable is ready, but don't hurry. You have 46 hours left :roll:
And I have other tasks planned for this weekend such as my daughters birthday, Martins upurs cable for the Atom and Mrs. Roland probably also will comeup with some activities...

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:24 pm

I'm also really interested in the UPURS cable, and the software you are going to write for it :D

Dave

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:13 pm

Hi all,

This morning I was able to replace make the IC23 GAL mod, allowing the IC27-29 video RAM buffers to put back. This mod enables the buffers when address #BDxx is accessed, allowing the SID in the GODIL to be at the standard address of #BDC0. In my Atom, simply bypassing the buffers seemed to work, but I was not 100% happy with this because of the pullups in the GODIL. I also wanted to have a closer hardware configuration to Roland.

Here are a couple of photos of the mod:
IMG_0512.JPG
IMG_0517.JPG
IMG_0514.JPG
When I put everything back together, it mostly worked. I say mostly, because when playing the SID I was hearing a few squeaks and pops that were not meant to be there.

After a bit of head scratching and fiddling, I made a small change to the GODIL, which was to sample the data bus one clock cycle (~30ns) earlier, and that fixed things.

I've updated the vga80 branch on GitHub with this version, and it also contains the fix for the cursor problem Roland found:
https://github.com/hoglet67/AtomGodilVideo/tree/vga80

Roland, were you also getting squeaks and pops with the SID? It would be interesting to see if this tweak helps.

Dave

roland

Post by roland » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:26 pm

Hi Dave, I don't know if there are (m)any strange sounds when playing a song because I have no real SID to compare with. But I will pay even extra attention after installing the update.

Edit: some typos corrected. I'm not very good at a smartphone :oops:
Last edited by roland on Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

oss003

Post by oss003 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:22 pm

roland wrote:Hi Dave, I don't know if there are (m)any strange sounds when playing a song because I have no real SID to compare with. But I will pay evan uxtra attention after installing the update.
Hi Roland,

there is a good SID player for the PC, you can find it at: http://sidplay2.sourceforge.net/

You can find SID music files at: http://fonix.dyndns.org/soasc/index.php or at http://www.hvsc.c64.org/

Greetings
Kees

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:39 pm

hoglet wrote:I'm also really interested in the UPURS cable, and the software you are going to write for it
UPURS is really all about the software - the cable is nothing special, it just uses a few conditioning discretes for legacy ports where >5v or negative levels are used. The RS232 bit-bang core is UPURS claim to fame as being asynchronous, the cycle count is critical and error-free bit-perfect communication at 115K Baud presented some interesting challenges. If you're interested, PM me your email address and I'll forward you the same stuff I've sent to Roland. The basic UPLOAD software utility just requires some generic Beeb>Atom conversion in terms of such things as OS calls and memory usage which I can't do without an Atom but I think this is what Roland is on with :wink: