Atom 1.33

discussion of games, software, hardware & emulators relating to the Acorn Atom and Acorn System machines.
CMcDougall

Atom 1.33

Post by CMcDougall » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:37 am

Looked everywhere for the Atom Emulator, its here : - www.stairwaytohell.com/atom/wouterras/

Does not have links to it on STH, but its hidden here. Its like finding hidden packages on Grand Theft Auto! My PS2 is collecting lots of dust! Only bought it for a cheap DVD player!

Anyway, unzip all to same folder, Atom.exe to run (dont need to go to DOS), F9 to load tape, use cursor to more to preferred file and press L, some work straight away, some need to type RUN after L.

Keys are a bit different, not just Z,X,',/ but SHIFT,CTRL, ALT etc.

When u play Dodgems, gee they did not have to do much for the electron intro tape did they!

Can't seem to get sound though. Still, what things were up to in 1979! If u want a real one theres one on ebay for £102 at moment, a bit silly, cause previous actual working ones went for £45!

N-Joy. CM :wink:

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:13 pm

It has a Turbo Pascal bug that prevents programs from running on processors over 200MHz. I tried a curing program but I'm not sure if it accepts parameters after the exe file name. Programs can be fixed easily by recompiling with a replacement file.

CMcDougall

MM

Post by CMcDougall » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:11 pm

Weird one bud, mines >500mhz and played all games fine all last night. :lol: (apart from sound, but it says that on the site)

Maybe u need WinXP SP2, or a PC for £61 off ebay like mine!! (inc P&P b4 some1 starts 8) )

Try coming out of the proggy (CTRL-F12), and re loading after a game? Some needed this (2), must of left stuff in memory that it didny like.

Some games are in german i think, but easy to get use to.

More games over at BBC lives, goto search -Atom !!

Back 26 years, its rather mad. Better than a computer that fills a hall!

Any1 else got it to work/not work? Any1 know of a windows version?

CM :wink:

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:18 pm

I recently fired this up so I could grab some screenshots of early A&F games. It wouldn't work at all on my AMD 1900, but I took it into work and managed to get it work on a Dell workstation. It mostly worked OK, but I had real problems getting Cylon Attack to run for longer than 4 or 5 seconds. I eventually got the screenshot I was looking for, but it wasn't playable.

There is also an Atom driver within MESS which is probably considered still under support, tho it's not being actively worked on. The problem is it doesn't seem possible to use the images available on STH and TBL! with it, because it only seems to support .wav cassette images ... :(

Sam.