Atom Colour Board Thread

discussion of games, software, hardware & emulators relating to the Acorn Atom and Acorn System machines.
oss003

Re: Atom Colour Board Thread

Post by oss003 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:13 pm

hoglet wrote:I'm not sure where to go from here. I was thinking of doing another board design that included the 8K RAM/Noise Killer, but now I'm not sure how well that would work. I might study the Dutch design a bit more (the one Kees pointed me to), and see if I can get any inspiration from it.Dave
Dave,

I'll translate the Dutch text about the principles of the Colourboard and post it here when it's ready.

Greetings
Kees

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:04 pm

sPhilMainwaring wrote:Were the results of your last post re artefact removal on your real monitor or the Bravia TV?

Maybe these results will lead to a better colour board which could even??? include some pins with the 1V resistors you mentioned for some straight through / "off-the-shelf" Phono->SCART connectivity

I have an old 6K+6K B&W Atom and would be very interested in this - especially if it would enable me to share a couple of my flat-screens (used with my Raspberry Pis) with my Atom :-)
Re-instating the 2114Ls greatly helped on both the Bravia and with the GBS 8200. Comparing the two, the Bravia is a much better picture. One pixel wide vertical lines look sharp and consistent in width. This is not the case with the GBS 8200. It's pixel clock is 27MHz, which is not a nice multiple of the Atom's 7.16MHz.

I think we're still a long way from a perfect design (if one is even possible). I'm goung to keep plugging away.
sPhilMainwaring wrote:I noticed also that you mentioned bidding on a copy of ATAP in another thread. As I mentioned in another thread I used to work building Atoms so I have a spare (though slightly tatty) copy that you can have free of charge :-)
That's very generous of you indeed - thank you very much. I :D 'll of course pay the postage. I'll PM you my details.

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:14 pm

oss003 wrote: I'll translate the Dutch text about the principles of the Colourboard and post it here when it's ready.
That would be great. I think I have most of it figured out, with the exception of the noise killer. At a guess, this looks like it might be stopping (or extending) the 6502 clock. But I'm not sure about this.

The video decoding is interesting:
1) The luminance threshold is raised when in a colour graphics mode
2) The luminance threshold uses Y from the 6847 directly
3) The TTL RGB signals from the PROM are registered with a pixel clock

These three things will all help increase the immunity to noise/crosstalk.

sPhilMainwaring

Post by sPhilMainwaring » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:41 pm

Hoglet

Posted my e-mail addy as I can't "do" PM at the moment ... not enough posts

Saw you PM'ed me though so deleted my address as I have received yours :)

I'll dig out the manual as soon as I get home

Photo's would be good as per the guidelines I posted earlier if possible please

Kees has very kindly done me one video already and has offered to do me another one where each colour stays up for longer, but the more samples I can get the better my emulator will be

Did you see the version I did with your colours running Kees's Chuckie Egg?

While we're on the subject would you and Kees like some 6502s, 6522s and maybe some 2114s? I'm more interested in software and emulation than hardware these days - not sure what kind of condition they're in and have no way of testing but I'll root them out :) There may be some other 74 gates and stuff as the whole lot are from my Atom building days - they're 30 years old and I have no way of testing them and they're only cluttering up my mum and dad's house - I'd rather they were used and given good homes rather than just sitting there another 30 years

Phil

sPhilMainwaring

Post by sPhilMainwaring » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:19 pm

Update:

I've just braved the depths of "The Spare Room" couldn't find the chips yet as I want to list them all ... they're in there somewhere but I couldn't get at the bottom 2 shelves but I know they're there somewhere. I'll post a list when I find them

Found an old Atom PSU though... not sure if it's for my machine though. Lots of male atom PSU connectors which seem quite rare. An old Sinclair QL modem, RS 423 plugs and lots of Disk and User Port BBC upgrade connectors - just the male connectors not the kits :-$

Prime

Post by Prime » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:17 am

Dave / Hoglet

I've just made the board for your video circuit, but find I don't have any 2N5551s, and they seem to be US stock on farnell so £15 before I order anything :( where did you get yours from ?

Failing that would a BC548 be a suitable replacement, as I have a load of those I bought for making my colour boards up.

As I'm gonna have to order some bits tomorrow anyways as I don't have the 1K pots either, nor half the resistor values.....

Cheers.

Phill.

sPhilMainwaring

Post by sPhilMainwaring » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:18 am

Phill

Are 2N5551s like NE555s (Timer chips)?

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:56 am

If you mean can "any" make of 2N5551 transistor replace another, yes.
Same as any make of 555 timer chip can replace another make of 555 timer chip, as long as they are the same type (both bipolar, or both CMOS). However, the timing characteristics may be slightly different.

Back to the question, the 2N5551 transistor is a high voltage bipolar transistor (160V dc) rated at a collector current of 600mA. Max gain (hFE DC Current Gain) is 250 with the min being between 30 and 80 depending on collector current.

So if the circuit is operating from less than 30V (spec for BC548 transistor) and the collector current is less than 100mA (or up to 500mA for some types/makes), I don't see why a BC548 would not work.

Mark

oss003

Post by oss003 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:01 am

sPhilMainwaring wrote:Kees has very kindly done me one video already and has offered to do me another one where each colour stays up for longer, but the more samples I can get the better my emulator will be
Hi Phil,

I've uploaded a new colourtest video, the long version :)
I must say that this reminds me why I hate doing video/photography stuff. The video is taken with my photocamera with all options on Automatic and the picture still isn't clear! :( The result was a 190 mB MOV file which I converted to a MP4 because then it will be smaller ....... 189 mB! :x So far so good, uploading the file to Youtube took 2 hours! :evil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEbwZ9aKWNk

Greetings
Kees

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:41 am

Phil,
Lots of male atom PSU connectors which seem quite rare.
If you have one of these going spare, it would be really appreciated. The one in my Atom is not the right footprint, and is going to snap off soon.

Does anyone know the official size of the imperial original? I think Charlie worked this out at some point.

Dave

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:50 am

Prime wrote:Dave / Hoglet

I've just made the board for your video circuit, but find I don't have any 2N5551s, and they seem to be US stock on farnell so £15 before I order anything :( where did you get yours from ?

Failing that would a BC548 be a suitable replacement, as I have a load of those I bought for making my colour boards up.
The 2N5551 are not critical, it's just what I had to hand. If anything, I would go for something with a little bit more guaranteed gain. BC548 should be fine, if you go for the BC548B or BC548C gain variety. Careful not to put them in backwards, because the pin out is the opposite way around I think from the 2N5551.

BTW, The Acorn Colour Board uses 2N3904/2N3906, and the BBC uses BC239s.

Dave

Prime

Post by Prime » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:24 am

hoglet wrote:
Prime wrote: Failing that would a BC548 be a suitable replacement, as I have a load of those I bought for making my colour boards up.
The 2N5551 are not critical, it's just what I had to hand. If anything, I would go for something with a little bit more guaranteed gain. BC548 should be fine, if you go for the BC548B or BC548C gain variety. Careful not to put them in backwards, because the pin out is the opposite way around I think from the 2N5551.
That's good, I figured as much but thought it worth asking :) I noticed they where a different pinout, though fortunately one's BCE the other is ECB so all I have to do is rotate it 180deg.

time to order some components....

Cheers.

Phill.

oss003

Post by oss003 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:23 pm

Hi Dave,

I've added the translation of the Dutch article for the Colourboard.
Hopefully it's readable :)

The other attached document is the complete schematic diagram of the board with all outputs.

Greetings
Kees
Attachments
Colourboard.zip
(108.7 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Dutch Colourboard.zip
(80.24 KiB) Downloaded 75 times

sPhilMainwaring

Post by sPhilMainwaring » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:12 pm

Hi Kees

I can still see the border ... any chance you could re do it again?

haha just joking :p that's excellent ... perfect!

I'll get sampling soon and send you a demo of the results

Thanks for taking the time to go through the re-encoding and uploading nightmare :)

Speak soon

Phil

sPhilMainwaring

Post by sPhilMainwaring » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:09 pm

@mak1024
If you mean can "any" make of 2N5551 transistor replace another, yes.
Same as any make of 555 timer chip can replace another make of 555 timer chip, as long as they are the same type (both bipolar, or both CMOS). However, the timing characteristics may be slightly different.
Nope, from your pictures I can see they are totally different beasts. What I meant was in the chips I have lying around I think I also have some NE555 timers as used in the Beeb. If these were similar to the ones you mentioned above that you were having trouble sourcing I could have dug them out while I was rumaging around :)

Phil
Last edited by sPhilMainwaring on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prime

Post by Prime » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:25 pm

That last one should be @mak1024 not me :)

I'm well aware of the difference between transistors and NE555 timer ICs :) :) :)

Cheers.

Phill.

sPhilMainwaring

Post by sPhilMainwaring » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:53 pm

Ooops so it should :) Thanks I'll edit it

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:10 pm

No worries. Until you get used to what appears to be the crazy numbering systems used for semiconductors ( chips, transistors, diodes etc), it may all be a bit confusing.

Mark

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:58 pm

Phil,

I spent a good couple of hours trying to take a decent set of photos on the Bravia, and I've completely failed. The colours in the photos look nothing like the colours on the screen, and there's terrible moire interference between the camera and the TV. Here's one example:
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG (192.27 KiB) Viewed 956 times
The orange on the TV is a really bright vibrant orange (not brown), and the cyan is a real shocking pink (not mauve).

I'm not even going to bother to upload the rest.

Any suggestions?

Dave

flibble

Post by flibble » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:04 pm

hoglet wrote:Any suggestions?
Use the exposure compensation function on your camera to increase exposure, to match reality.

Your camera is looking at the light coming in and trying to get some contrast, failing and settling for your bright screen being the mid point not the peak.

Alternatively load the picture into a photo editor (google picasa is free and good) and tweak the levels (picasa functions fill light, highlights and shadows) until it matches reality.

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:22 pm

OK, switched monitors to my HP LP2065 and got some slightly better results.

But I still think this is the wrong approach!! Surely measuring the R, G and B voltages coming out of the colour board is the most accurate way, and eliminates any dependency on the camera and monitor.

Anyway, here's a zip with the full set of photos.
COLCHK3HogletLP2065.zip
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 73 times
Dave

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:09 pm

Use the manual settings on the camera.
Sometimes macro mode helps.
Draw the curtains / drop the blinds to dim the light level in the room.
If you have a tripod and the camera can be fixed onto it, you can take long exposure pictures.

Mark

Prime

Post by Prime » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:40 am

I've just finished building my version of this circuit and it's working, but have a couple of questions for Dave / Hoglet....

I have not populated the area that replicates the two transistors in the Y line on the Atom board as I wanted to find out if I needed them before populating that area

1) What position should the jumpers be when connected to the Atom, I've got them closed at the moment.

2) Should there be resistors in the SCART lead ? My colour board doesn't need them and my Beeb lead doesn't have them but I suspect this board (and the Acorn one) might need them.

I have found that the colours are I would say better than my board, but appear at times a little 'bright', also I find I have to tweek the pots when I change video modes, I found this problem with Arcadian's Acorn board too, which leads me to wonder about the resistors in the SCART lead...

Cheers.

Phill.

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:37 pm

Prime wrote:2) Should there be resistors in the SCART lead ?
Depends...

For the SCART RGB video signals, the TV or monitor is looking for a 0.7V ac signal and this is into a 75 Ohm impedance (resistance).

If the voltage is higher, the brightness will go above normal peak level up to whatever is the maximum limit of the TV or monitor.

The composite video / composite sync signal is a 1V ac signal (and this is into a 75 Ohm impedance).

So if you have a circuit / device that outputs TTL / 5V logic levels, with most SCART fitted TVs or monitors resistors are needed to reduce the voltages of the signals. They act with the 75 Ohm impedance to produce a potential divider.
Some TVs or monitors cope with a TTL signal and on some, the brightness and contrast controls allows you to adjust for a correct picture.

If you are feeding TTL RGB into a scan converter like a GBS8200 / GB8220 / HD9800, you don't need resistors as there are on board variable "preset" resistors that you adjust.

Mark

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:27 pm

Prime wrote:I've just finished building my version of this circuit and it's working, but have a couple of questions for Dave / Hoglet....
How exciting =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Prime wrote:I have not populated the area that replicates the two transistors in the Y line on the Atom board as I wanted to find out if I needed them before populating that area
These would be needed if you are driving it directly from the Y output of the 6847, but not if you are driving from PL4 pin 9.

If you are feeding directly from the 6847, and not using an inverting amplifier, the sync tip clamp circuit will not be working properly, and this might be why you are having trouble setting the levels.

The values of R1 and R2 and the orientation of D1 will clamp the negative going sync pulse to 1.5V (and the rest of the video signal will be higher than that). This is setup to work with the Y signal from PL4 pin 9 on the Atom.
Prime wrote:1) What position should the jumpers be when connected to the Atom, I've got them closed at the moment.
Closed is correct.

I'm not sure I ever properly tested V7 of the PAL that supports these links, but the changes were minimal so I hope it will work. Let me know if there are any problems.
Prime wrote:2) Should there be resistors in the SCART lead ? My colour board doesn't need them and my Beeb lead doesn't have them but I suspect this board (and the Acorn one) might need them.

I have found that the colours are I would say better than my board, but appear at times a little 'bright', also I find I have to tweek the pots when I change video modes, I found this problem with Arcadian's Acorn board too, which leads me to wonder about the resistors in the SCART lead...
As Mark rightly says, additional resistors are needed to drop the TTL levels down to SCART levels. At a pinch, you could just increase the 68R ones on the board to about 330R, but I don't think this is quite as good as having them at the monitor end of the cable.

Do you know whether your SCART inputs are terminated with 75R resistors (try measuring the resistance to ground)?

Regarding the adjustments between modes, do you have to tweak the sync pot or the luminance pot or both?

Mine are set as follows (for the signals on PL4)
Sync pot: 1.2v (pin 5 of IC3 to GND)
Luminance pot: 1.95v (pin 10 of IC3 to GND)

To set the Luminance pot, I use the following program:

10 CLEAR 4
20 COLOUR 0
30 FOR A=#8000 TO #8200
40 ?A=A
50 NEXT
60 FOR A=#8C00 TO #8EFF
70 ?A=0
80 NEXT
90 FOR A=#8F00 TO #91FF
100 ?A=85
110 NEXT
120 FOR A=#9200 TO #94FF
130 ?A=170
140 NEXT
150 FOR A=#9500 TO #97FF
160 ?A=255
170 NEXT
180 DO
190 ?#B002=?#B002:8
200 GOSUB 240
210 ?#B000=?#B000:16
220 GOSUB 240
230 UNTIL 0
240 FOR A=0 TO 500
250 IF ?#B001 & 128 = 0 THEN GOSUB 280
260 NEXT
270 RETURN
280 PRINT $7
290 DO
300 UNTIL ?#B001 & 128 = 128
310 DO
320 UNTIL ?#B001 & 128 = 0
330 PRINT $7 $7
340 DO
350 UNTIL ?#B001 & 128 = 128
360 RETURN

Shift moves from one mode to the next

The best mode to adjust in is the Colour Graphics mode with the alternative palette (and the white border). Rotate the pot until the orange bar turns black, then back the other way until it's just a stable orange.

I might be possible to adapt the sync tip clamp circuit to work with the Y output of the 6847. The purpose of this circuit is to set the DC level of the sync pulse to a defined level, regardless of the mode. It's currently set up for a negative going sync pulse, with normal composite sync levels. The problem is, the Y output of the 6847 is inverted, i.e. the sync pulses are the most positive part of the signal. The same circuit topology should work, but you would need to reverse the diode, and the use different values of R1/R2 so that the signal was clamped to 2V. i.e. increase R2 to ~680R (and the rest of the signal would fall below this). You would then need to put the links in the other position (to tell the PAL that the L and SYNC signals are inverted).

But I've not tried this myself.

I'd suggest getting it working first with the inverting amplifier.

Dave

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:09 pm

Hey all,

The saga continues......

Today I started working on a new Colour Board design that will generate a proper line-doubled VGA signal directly. This should allow the use of any LCD monitor with an Atom, without the need for a scan converter (like the GBS-8200, which works, but not very well). It could probably also do the same for a Beeb.

This design will use a Xilinx Spartan 3E FPGA, which has
- Some very flexible clock circuitry.
- True differential inputs, eliminating the three LM319 comparators.
- internal Block RAM for the line doubler
- can generate VGA directly
- lots and lots of gates

For prototyping, I'm going to be using the Papilio One:
http://papilio.cc/index.php?n=Papilio.Hardware
IMG_0089.JPG
IMG_0089.JPG (284.47 KiB) Viewed 785 times
The actual FPGA board is bottom left; the other two boards are the LogicStart and Arcade wings.

The motivation for doing this is that the GBS-8200 don't work that well. If you put up a test screen in "Clear 4" with alternating black and white lines, it looks good on a scope, but not in the GBS-8200. The lines are not consistent in width. This (I think) is down to the pixel clocks of the Atom (7.16MHz) and the GBS-8200 (13.5MHz) being different, so Atom pixels don't map to VGA pixels very consistently.

The general idea is to try to sample each Atom pixel at precisely the right time, and write these into a double buffered line buffer. The VGA side would then read each line twice. I'm going to start with VGA resolution (640x480) with the center (512x384) being the active display, and each Atom pixel mapping to a 2x2 block of VGA pixels.

Today I've breadboarded all the analog circuitry, and got this to the stage of being able to re-implement my existing design exactly. Here's a photo of today's work:
IMG_0098.JPG
IMG_0098.JPG (218.9 KiB) Viewed 785 times
And the result:
IMG_0099.JPG
IMG_0099.JPG (204.92 KiB) Viewed 785 times
This is functionally equivalent of my existing design, but with the LM319 comparators being replaced by the differential inputs of the FPGA. These were designed for differential LVDS signals, but are pretty flexible, so I was able to re-use all the existing circuitry that was in front of the LM319Ns (4 capacitors, 12 resistors, two pots and a diode). This is all that's on the breadboard.

The VGA output from the FPGA uses 8 digital outputs, and combines these into 3 bit red, 3 bit green and 2 bit blue using a R-2R ladder DAC (basically just 8 resistors in total). You can just see these mounted on the right hand connector.

What remains is the line doubler and VGA circuitry. There's some trick stuff here, especially around synchronising to the Atom video timings, and sampling each Atom pixel at just the right moment. It may not even be possible :shock:

When (if) this works, I'll probably make a PCB that's a Wing for the Papilio with a 2x5 IDC connector to connect to the Atom, and a VGA connector.

In terms of cost, the a suitable size Xilinx chip is £7.90 from Farnell:
http://uk.farnell.com/xilinx/xc3s50a-4v ... 671088MPKG

The small version of the Papilio one is $37.99 from the GadgetFactory:
http://store.gadgetfactory.net/index.ph ... ucts_id=18
Unfortunately, it's not widely available in Europe.

Longer term, it would be awesome to be able to fit this into the Atom (with a noise killer), but I think the Xilinx VQ100 package with it's 1mm pitch pins is slightly beyond my PCB making skills!

Dave

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:19 pm

Anyone found any VHDL on the net for a line doubler? :D :D :D

I hate re-inventing the wheel....

flynnjs

Post by flynnjs » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:56 am

I think there might be one in PACE

hoglet