Atom RAM/ROM board manuals

discussion of games, software, hardware & emulators relating to the Acorn Atom and Acorn System machines.
oss003

Atom RAM/ROM board manuals

Post by oss003 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:11 pm

Hi guys,

The RAM/ROM board for the Atom contains some ROMS and sometimes a ROM Management System called Branquart. For the people who want to start programming, I've attached a few ROM manuals and a description of the Branquart system.

Greetings
Kees

Code: Select all

AtoMMC2         = File system ROM for reading/writing SD-cards
SDROM           = File system ROM simulating Atom DOS with floppy images on SD-card
Toolkit         = Utility ROM with extra Basic commands
P-Charm         = Utility ROM with extra Basic commands for programming
WE-ROM          = Utility ROM with extra Basic commands
Salfaa          = Symbolic Assembler
GAGS            = Graphics and Game Support ROM
Atomic Windows  = Utility ROM to create graphic dialog boxes
AXR1            = Utility ROM with extra Basic commands
Branquart       = ROM Management System
Attachments
AXR1.zip
(10.48 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
ROM Manuals.zip
(739.76 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
Last edited by oss003 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danielj

Re: Atom RAM/ROM board manuals

Post by danielj » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:39 pm

Hey Kees,

Thanks! That's brilliant!

d.

PhilYoung

Post by PhilYoung » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:30 am

oss003 wrote:Hi guys,

The RAM/ROM board for the Atom contains some ROMS and sometimes a ROM Management System called Branquart. For the people who want to start programming, I've attached a few ROM manuals and a description of the Branquart system.

Greetings
Kees

Code: Select all

AtoMMC2         = File system ROM for reading/writing SD-cards
SDROM           = File system ROM simulating Atom DOS with floppy images on SD-card
Toolkit         = Utility ROM with extra Basic commands
P-Charm         = Utility ROM with extra Basic commands for programming
WE-ROM          = Utility ROM with extra Basic commands
Salfaa          = Symbolic Assembler
GAGS            = Graphics and Game Support ROM
Atomic Windows  = Utility ROM to create graphic dialog boxes
Branquart       = ROM Management System
That all looks very promising.

No AXR1 ? That seems to be the default A000 ROM in emulators, but I'm sure the WE-ROM and the others cover the same ground.

From the manual, the SDROM looks like an Atom version of the MMC 'juke-box' for the BBC Micro - does it co-exist with the AtoMMC, I assume it uses the same hardware and you can select which file system is in use when re-booting, and use an appropriately formatted MMC card.

I'm sure this will all become clear with a bit of experimentation, looking forward to this,

Cheers,

Phil Young

oss003

Post by oss003 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:07 am

That all looks very promising.

No AXR1 ? That seems to be the default A000 ROM in emulators, but I'm sure the WE-ROM and the others cover the same ground.

From the manual, the SDROM looks like an Atom version of the MMC 'juke-box' for the BBC Micro - does it co-exist with the AtoMMC, I assume it uses the same hardware and you can select which file system is in use when re-booting, and use an appropriately formatted MMC card.

I'm sure this will all become clear with a bit of experimentation, looking forward to this,

Cheers,

Phil Young
Hi Phill,

I must have a look if a have an english version of the AXR1 manual. The best utility ROM is P-Charm because you can use procedures and functions with local or global parameters like the BBC. It also has a nice program editor option to find or change text quickly in your program.

I don't know the MMC 'Juke-box' but the SDROM is in fact the Atom DOS ROM changed to work with the AtoMMC interface.
The AtoMMC ROM can directly load/save files from/to the SD-card.
The SDROM mounts a 100k floppy image (on the SD-card) as a drive and you can use the same commands as Atom DOS.
You can mount a floppy image for each drive 0-3.
Both ROMs are working with the same hardware, the AtoMMC interface.

Greetings
Kees

PhilYoung

Post by PhilYoung » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:33 pm

oss003 wrote: Hi Phill,

I must have a look if a have an english version of the AXR1 manual. The best utility ROM is P-Charm because you can use procedures and functions with local or global parameters like the BBC. It also has a nice program editor option to find or change text quickly in your program.

I don't know the MMC 'Juke-box' but the SDROM is in fact the Atom DOS ROM changed to work with the AtoMMC interface.
The AtoMMC ROM can directly load/save files from/to the SD-card.
The SDROM mounts a 100k floppy image (on the SD-card) as a drive and you can use the same commands as Atom DOS.
You can mount a floppy image for each drive 0-3.
Both ROMs are working with the same hardware, the AtoMMC interface.

Greetings
Kees
Hi,

I wasn't reading the SDROM manual you posted carefully enough, I see that it expects individual disk images on the SD card. By 'juke-box' I meant the approach taken by one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acorn-BBC-Mic ... 4abd19e864

where the disk images are wrapped up into one overall !BEEB.MMB file. I think the individual image version is more useful personally. As is the standard AtoMMC version.

Thanks,

Phil Young

oss003

Post by oss003 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:27 pm

Found!!
I've added the AXR1 manual to the other manuals at the first message.

Greetings
Kees