New Atom Boards....

discussion of games, software, hardware & emulators relating to the Acorn Atom and Acorn System machines.
Prime

New Atom Boards....

Post by Prime » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:07 am

Hi All,

Just an update on the Atom board status, I have posted some pictures of the prototypes on facebook :

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 6286f612ae

The Album should be public so you don't need a FB login to view them.

The Colour board has been sent for manufacture and the Ram/Rom will be going later today so hopefully they'll be available soon.

Cheers.

Phill.

oss003

Re: New Atom Boards....

Post by oss003 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:23 am

Allright Phill =D> =D> ....... keep up the good work!!!

Greetings
Kees

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:53 am

Excellent =D>
Andy

* NEW * The Jetset Willy and Manic Miner community :)

Adventure games ported across to the BBC (in progress) as soon as I can find some time!

danielj

Post by danielj » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:39 am

Woop :)

Prime

Post by Prime » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:10 am

Just an update RAMROM board went this morning, I'll let people know when they are available, should be in 2-3 weeks time, depending on workload.....

Cheers.

Phill.

PhilYoung

Post by PhilYoung » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:03 pm

Prime wrote:Just an update RAMROM board went this morning, I'll let people know when they are available, should be in 2-3 weeks time, depending on workload.....

Cheers.

Phill.
Can you let us know what the costs will be ??

Cheers,

Phil Young

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:52 pm

And where should the newbies [EDIT: like ME!] look to find out what this is all about? :?

I KNOW it will be somewhere VERY obvious, but I've missed it. :oops:

Thanks.

Prime

Post by Prime » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:37 pm

richardtoohey wrote:And where should the newbies [EDIT: like ME!] look to find out what this is all about? :?

I KNOW it will be somewhere VERY obvious, but I've missed it. :oops:
Quick descriptions :

RAM/ROM/ClockBoost is a board for the Atom that does several things :
1) Replaces the slow power hungry 2114 RAMS with a single 32K RAM, maxing out the CPU RAM.
2) Implements a software controled ROMBOX (like the sideways ROMS on the Beeb).
3) Implements a clock circuit that allows you to run the 6502 at either 1MHz or at 1.7MHz.
4) Has jumpers to allow the use of a WDC65C02.

The advantage with the 1.7MHz is that as well as being faster, the CPU and VDG clocks are syncronised so you don't get interference when the CPU accesses the video RAM.

Note the ROM/RAM board needs a couple of patch wires soldering to the Atom mainboard.

Colour board is also a board for the Atom, that converts it to RGB colour output (it's normally only monochrome). It also again replaces the video RAM 2114s with a single 8K chip, which maxes out the video RAM. There is also a buffer circuit that acts to reduce the noise caused by CPU access to video RAM (if not using the 1.7MHz mode).

Cheers.

Phill.

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:15 am

Thank you!

I wasn't sure if "New Atom" meant a Atom built from the ground up using what's available now.

Because it linked in with an idle thought I had recently - would it be possible to build a BBC (or an Atom!) with the components available now. I know you can get 6502s (or variants) ... but what about the 6522s etc.? I know ZILCH about electronics, so it might be the dumbest question ever!

Thanks.

Prime

Post by Prime » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:15 am

richardtoohey wrote:Thank you!

I wasn't sure if "New Atom" meant a Atom built from the ground up using what's available now.
Ermmm, yep I did that too, before I had a real Atom :)
Picture here : http://www.retrosoftware.co.uk/showpics ... mClone.JPG
Because it linked in with an idle thought I had recently - would it be possible to build a BBC (or an Atom!) with the components available now. I know you can get 6502s (or variants) ... but what about the 6522s etc.? I know ZILCH about electronics, so it might be the dumbest question ever!
For the Atom that's doable as apart from the 6847 everything is standard logic, certainly 6502s and 6522s are available (and still being manufactured new !).

The Beeb would be harder as it contains a number of custom chips which would be harder to source (other than from a real Beeb).

Though one of the other members of this board AlanD did build an Electron replica in an FPGA which works quite well.

Cheers.

Phill.

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:23 am

Thanks - there's a lot of talented people around here! =D>

I would LOVE to be able to be able to "do" electronics but every time I touch hardware, bad things happen, so I stick to software (and there's way more in that field than I have free time for : :cry: ...)

By the BBC's custom chips - you mean stuff like the ULAs? Are the designs/schematics (whatever the correct term is, sorry!) lost, or just uneconomical to build chips from?

Completely off topic, this looked interesting ...

http://sites.google.com/site/libby8dev/fignition

but ... FORTH ... reminds me of the Jupiter Ace.

Anyway, I'm being very rude hi-jacking the thread - thanks for your patient answers!