Files adding to AtoMMC

discussion of games, software, hardware & emulators relating to the Acorn Atom and Acorn System machines.
Lusciousthelock

Files adding to AtoMMC

Post by Lusciousthelock » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:34 am

I've downloaded Atom disc images from different places on the web which I've then changed to .ssd files to be read by BBC Explorer, which it does. I can then extract individual files onto an MMC card to be read by my Atom (or so I thought).

I can load the files but only about 50% of the program listing seems to be there? Any idea what I'm missing?

sirmorris

Re: Files adding to AtoMMC

Post by sirmorris » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:14 am

Hi,

AtoMMC needs files to be in the ATM format.

This is described in the manual.

I have a tool which can add the required headers, I'll search it out and post it here in due course.

Am I right in thinking that BBCExplorer saves metadata separately in $$$ files or something like that?

C

sirmorris

Post by sirmorris » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:01 am

Here are a few tools I've developed over the years. No warranty is made etc etc... :¬)

Typing the name of the program with -? will show help.

BAS2ATM will take an atom program in a text file and produce a binary ready to load and run on an atom. Its use is partly superseded by AtoMMC's *EXEC command, but it has some really useful features like auto-line-numbering.

ATM2BAS does the reverse. It'll take an Atom formatted file and decompose it into text for offline editing.

BIN2ATM will add an ATM header to a file. In answer to the original post in this thread - this is the tool you need. Look in the .INF files that BBCExplorer produces, and use these values when specifying options. Though then again...

... DSK2ATM will scrape a .DSK (.ssd) format file and dump all the programs it finds, complete with their ATM information.

I'll be happy to answer any questions, and I'll fix any bugs but other than that you're on your own 8)

Code: Select all

ATM2BAS V1.3.0

Produces an ansi .txt file of the basic code stored in an ATM file.

Usage: atm2bas atmfile[.atm] [options]

Options:
out=       Output filename. Optional, defaults to <infile>.txt
nocheckex  Allow conversion even if exec. addr. != 0xc2b2 or 0xce86.
nodumpex   Discard bytes following BASIC.

BAS2ATM V1.3.0

Produces an ATM format file from a text file containing
Atom basic. Text file should be ansi format.

Usage: bas2atm textfile[.txt] [options]

Options:

out=   Output file name. Optional, defaults to {infile}.atm.
auto   Add line numbers. Optional.
upper  Convert source to uppercase on the fly. Optional.
name=  Specify atom format name. Optional, built from <infile>.
load=  Load address. Optional, defaults to #2900
exec=  Exec address. Optional, defaults to #C2B2

When upper-casing programs that are also auto-numbered, you can use
GOTO/SUB with labels specified by preceeding the character with '^'.
Data following a double-tilde ('~~') is discarded, which is good for
adding 'soft' comments to the source which take no room in the Atom.

BIN2ATM V1.3.0

Produces an ATM format file from a binary file containing data.

Usage: bin2atm binaryfile[.bin] load=<address> [options]

out=   Output file name. Optional, defaults to <infile>.atm.
load=  Load address. Mandatory.
exec=  Execution address. Optional, defaults to load address.
name=  Specify atom format name. Optional, built from <infile>.
pad    Create a file with 512 byte header, ready for ATOMMC.

DSK2ATM V1.3.0

Produces ATM format files from an atom 40 track disk image.

Usage: dsk2atm diskfile[.dsk] [options]

Options:

mkdir  - put the disk content in a directory named after .dsk file

Attachments
atm2ools.zip
Atom ATM tool set
(286.33 KiB) Downloaded 99 times

PhilYoung

Post by PhilYoung » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:12 pm

sirmorris wrote:Hi,

AtoMMC needs files to be in the ATM format.

This is described in the manual.

I have a tool which can add the required headers, I'll search it out and post it here in due course.

Am I right in thinking that BBCExplorer saves metadata separately in $$$ files or something like that?

C
There's a Manual ?????? That's health and safety gone mad.....

Are the E000 version and OS patches that're mentioned available ?

Cheers,

Phil Young

sirmorris

Post by sirmorris » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:08 pm

There have been some issues with the E000 firmware, but I think those are understood now.

The main problem is the Atom expects the DOS ROM to be sitting outside the Atom. The bus buffers are enabled for $E000, and this can interfere with operation of the ROM, either it's bus loading or noise. If there is no danger of any memory being enabled on that side of the bus then the bus enable chip can be removed and all is good.

I will post the files here later, after I've got my emulation back into MESS so I can check things.

C

Prime

Post by Prime » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:26 pm

sirmorris wrote:There have been some issues with the E000 firmware, but I think those are understood now.

The main problem is the Atom expects the DOS ROM to be sitting outside the Atom. The bus buffers are enabled for $E000, and this can interfere with operation of the ROM, either it's bus loading or noise. If there is no danger of any memory being enabled on that side of the bus then the bus enable chip can be removed and all is good.
And this will be fixed in the next version of the ROM-RAM :)

Cheers.

Phill.

PhilYoung

Post by PhilYoung » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:55 pm

sirmorris wrote: I will post the files here later, after I've got my emulation back into MESS so I can check things.

C
Thanks. It works fine-ish (doesn't always initialise on 'Break') with the A000 version, but it would be good to have both versions for completeness.

Cheers,

Phil Young

Lusciousthelock

Post by Lusciousthelock » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:36 pm

Ah I see now, thanks for the utilities :) cant wait to get these working, especially since I accidentally deleted, well replaced "Invaders" (wife likes to play head to head for the washing up lol).

Lusciousthelock

Post by Lusciousthelock » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:08 am

Sorry to be a pain, but what format are those utilities? I upgraded to windows 7 a year ago and since then nothing bloomin works, and I hate friggin windows as it is!!! Are they win xp compatible or dos?

sirmorris

Post by sirmorris » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:20 am

That's ok, this is the 1st foray into the wide world so I don't know what to expect either ;)

They're windows console applications. You need to run them from a command prompt. They work fine on windows 7 32 & 64. They're statically linked to the runtimes so there shouldn't be any dependency issues.

Are you saying they don't work or are you just expecting the worst? :lol:
C

Prime

Post by Prime » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:29 pm

sirmorris wrote: Are you saying they don't work or are you just expecting the worst? :lol:
C
They work here on windows 2003 32 in as much as when I run them I get the help text.

Cheers.

Phill.

Lusciousthelock

Post by Lusciousthelock » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:08 pm

No, i downloaded them and clicked on the icon but saw a ghost of something happening quickly and then nothing- wondered if it was an anti windows 64 bit thing, cos so many of my fav games wont run on this pc now ie Quake 1 & 2, classic Doom etc.
Last edited by Lusciousthelock on Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lusciousthelock

Post by Lusciousthelock » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:12 pm

Thats great, all working now! I havent used a command line program on windows since 98, didnt even know that was possible haha :D

Ty for the help.

nOmArch

Post by nOmArch » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:12 pm

Google 'Dosbox' I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Alex

Back up to 1 Beeb again. \o/

TopBanana

Post by TopBanana » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:26 pm

Lusciousthelock wrote:(wife likes to play head to head for the washing up lol).
Washing up ? That's what the kids are for isn't it ? :oops:

sirmorris

Post by sirmorris » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:51 pm

PhilYoung wrote:Are the E000 version and OS patches that're mentioned available ?
New topic ahoy!

My Atom is sufficiently flaky that any test I do on it is suspect. I have tested the code in MESS, enhanced with my atommc2 emulation, and all appears good.

If you decide to forge ahead into pioneering territory then please stay in contact with me - I'd like to hear of any bugs and impressions.

[Prime - I don't think there's anything you need to roll into 2.9]

Thanks!

Lusciousthelock

Post by Lusciousthelock » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:44 am

nOmArch wrote:Google 'Dosbox' I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Actually I've tried dosbox and it works pretty well :D but its a pain in the ass to get the Ethernet working which was main reason I liked to play those games.

I used to host Lan party's (great fun!) for about £100 I set up a 10 computer network with old 300-500mhz ex-business computers off ebay which handled Quake II pretty easily with cheapy VGA cards but alas when I moved house my wife made me get rid of the computers -well it was a bit untidy.

I could do it with Windows 7 and modern games but the hardware to run those sort of modern games isnt cheap enough yet and then there is the Windows "Moody" licencing thingy- 1 copy per computer and all that, pay for this and pay for that. I just used to install 98 on everything and not worry lol, no web checks back then. And yes I know I could download the xp compatbility mode, but having paid £130 for home premium, sod giving them a penny more for an upgrade to the OS I've paid for. I wouldnt use Windows at all if it wasnt for one thing only... World Of Warcraft... Blizzard hurry up and get a Linux port!!! [-o<

nOmArch

Post by nOmArch » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:52 am

Never had a problem with dosbox networking it's pretty straight forward you just need to know how to configure it in a CLI.

Used to run LAN parties as well, the fun we had with Quake, Duke and Doom =D>

7's Virtual XP mode is useless for gaming as it does not support any accelerated graphics.
Last edited by nOmArch on Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex

Back up to 1 Beeb again. \o/

Prime

Post by Prime » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:10 am

nOmArch wrote: 7's Virtual XP mode is useless for gaming as it does not support any accelerated graphics. Might be OK for Doom but anything newer is gonna run like a snail.
And if you are going to run anything like Doom, Quake, Duke, RoTT etc you might as well run one of the modern windows ports that run nativley on Windows / Linux / MacOSX and support OpenGL, console mouse look etc.

There is even still a reasonably active mapping community out there for Doom.

Cheers.

Phill.