Atom mods pt 3

discussion of games, software, hardware & emulators relating to the Acorn Atom and Acorn System machines.
Prime

Atom mods pt 3

Post by Prime » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:09 pm

Ok, after speking to Charlie and Kees at InDa80s, I decided to re-design the Atom RAM-ROM board for a couple of reasons.

1) The original design with everything hanging to the left of the CPU could be unstable in some boards unless a turned pin CPU socket was fitted.

2) This design also ovehangs the space that some people have used to mount a eurocard sized board on PL7, whilst this didn't matter to me, it may to some.

SO the board has been re-designed to move the memory chips to the right of the CPU and the CPLD to the left, this is more stable (as it's more symetrical), and doesn't interfere with the PL7 space.

I've also added the clock "doubler" / video noise killer to the circuit so that the atom can optionally run at 1.7Mhz, this is derived from the video clock in such a way that writes to the video ram do not cause screen disturbance.

Anyway a quick picture :
IMG_2508-cropped.JPG
Atom RAM-ROM / noisekiller v 1.5.
IMG_2508-cropped.JPG (442.87 KiB) Viewed 948 times
I need to make another ersion of this to check the final component placements as I have shifted things slightly (especially the speed switch), but asuming that works ok, I'll be making another run of ram-rom boards using this design.

Cheers.

Phill.

oss003

Re: Atom mods pt 3

Post by oss003 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:16 am

Good work Phill =D> , now there's room to fit in Charlie's AtomSID board :lol:

Kees

ukretrogamer

Post by ukretrogamer » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:28 am

Why? Can't the AtomMMC be fitted together with Phill's old revision board?

I bought one of each of Charlie and Phill's boards but haven't tried fitting either yet.

Will I have problems trying to fit them both?

Prime

Post by Prime » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:51 pm

ukretrogamer wrote:Why? Can't the AtomMMC be fitted together with Phill's old revision board?

I bought one of each of Charlie and Phill's boards but haven't tried fitting either yet.

Will I have problems trying to fit them both?
Nope you shouldn't have any probs at all. AtoMMC fits on PL8 by a cable this is on the same side as the keys. Both the RAM-ROM and the Colour board fit on the bottom of the board.

The issue is that if you want to use a board on PL7 the old RAM-ROM board overlaps.

Cheers.

Phill.

oss003

Post by oss003 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:19 pm

I think there's a misunderstanding.
I was talking about Charlie's AtomSID board and not Charlie's AtoMMC board.
The AtoMMC board does not make sound!! :)

Kees

Lusciousthelock

Post by Lusciousthelock » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:55 am

Hiya, are these colour boards and the rom/ram board for sale? I desperately need something to bring some stability to my atom! Its all piggy backed chips and dodgy solder lol #-o

PhilYoung

Post by PhilYoung » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:18 pm

Lusciousthelock wrote:Hiya, are these colour boards and the rom/ram board for sale? I desperately need something to bring some stability to my atom! Its all piggy backed chips and dodgy solder lol #-o
I'd be interested in some details as well. My 32K and 8K memory boards are done on veroboard and there is a danger of frightening horses...

Cheers,

Phil Young

Prime

Post by Prime » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:24 pm

The new RAM-ROM is pretty much ready to go, though I'll have to check my bank ballance first as I have to pay production costs up front, and am getting the BeebSID boards done in the near future too.

The Video boards will get another run thought Kees is currently looking at the board to see if we can optimise the colour encoding as it's not quite correct.

Cheers.

Phill.

Lusciousthelock

Post by Lusciousthelock » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:11 am

Well if your taking pre-orders let me know :D