Atom software to tape

discussion of games, software, hardware & emulators relating to the Acorn Atom and Acorn System machines.
danielj

Atom software to tape

Post by danielj » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:47 pm

Hello,
Is any of the Atom software that Wouter Ras has on his website available in UEF format or a format that can be recorded back to tape? I've been trying to fudge it with the utilities provided in DOSBOX but no dice at the moment. Any suggestions?

d.

sirmorris

Re: Atom software to tape

Post by sirmorris » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:09 am

This is one I hacked together.

Source is included to help with usage, there should be some help in there tho.

It produces incredibly loud files - watch yer bassbins, I'm tellin' yeh.

C

PS - you'll need most of the files splitting from the 'TAP' format - which is just a series of ATMs.

I've something to do that as well, or you can contact me about getting hold of software.
Attachments
atm2wav.zip
my atom 'ATM' to wav converter.
(17.57 KiB) Downloaded 98 times

danielj

Post by danielj » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:16 pm

Ahah! Brilliant, many thanks. I'll scream loudly and kick something if I can't get it to work.

Cheers
d.

danielj

Post by danielj » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:54 pm

ERROR 6
SUM

ARGH!

Chris, when *CATting tapes converted with your widget, should it be giving the named block info followed by two numbers for the actual block data itself?
eg:
SNAPPER XXXX XXXX 0001 FF
YYYY YYYY
SNAPPER XXXX XXXX 0002 FF
YYYY YYYY
etc, etc...

I was under the impression it only did this for unnamed files?

Cheers,
Daniel.

sirmorris

Post by sirmorris » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:13 am

Hi David.

Hmm, the converter's working fine for me. Of course it will do - it's the famous 'well it works on my machine' clause that runs deep in every software developers veins.

I take it that you're converting snapper - I'll give it a go here.

Unnamed files don't have the headers so can't show the name. Are you seeing sum errors?

Charlie

danielj

Post by danielj » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:02 am

sirmorris wrote:Hi David.

Hmm, the converter's working fine for me. Of course it will do - it's the famous 'well it works on my machine' clause that runs deep in every software developers veins.

I take it that you're converting snapper - I'll give it a go here.

Unnamed files don't have the headers so can't show the name. Are you seeing sum errors?

Charlie
Heheh. Yes, I'm well versed in that one. So what was confusing me was that it was showing the details for the header block (name and all), then the subsequent data was giving two numbers too. On the data block I was getting a sum error - first block. Any way this could be down to my awful code to split the tap files into atms?

Cheers,
Daniel

sirmorris

Post by sirmorris » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:10 am

Hmm, I don't think so. Send me the file to compare against. I've PM'd you my email address.

C

danielj

Post by danielj » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:01 am

sirmorris wrote:Hmm, I don't think so. Send me the file to compare against. I've PM'd you my email address.

C
Thanks Charlie, have sent. I note my nominative aberration.

daniel.

danielj

Post by danielj » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:36 pm

Score. Thanks Charlie. It seems that trying to record the wav from a mac onto a beeb data recorder requires both ear and mic plugged in or the level merrily wanders all over the shop.

best,
daniel
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (97.36 KiB) Viewed 1281 times

Prime

Post by Prime » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:19 pm

danielj wrote:Score. Thanks Charlie. It seems that trying to record the wav from a mac onto a beeb data recorder requires both ear and mic plugged in or the level merrily wanders all over the shop.
Probably an earthing / groubnding issue then, I did hear that some Mac power supplies don't have an earth connection and therefore can be noisy when doing audio work, not experience3d it myself but then again I only have one mac :)

Cheers.

Phill.

paulv

Post by paulv » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:38 am

Probably an earthing / groubnding issue then, I did hear that some Mac power supplies don't have an earth connection and therefore can be noisy when doing audio work, not experience3d it myself but then again I only have one mac :)
All of my Windows based laptops have this issue too when they're connected to the mains I get terrible ground loop buzz if I connect to my hi-fi.

If I run on batteries only then there is not ground loop buzz and everything runs a treat.

None of the laptop PSU's I have posess an earth line. Instead they're simply double insulated and I believe Mac laptop PSU's are the same.

Prime

Post by Prime » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:06 am

paulv wrote:
All of my Windows based laptops have this issue too when they're connected to the mains I get terrible ground loop buzz if I connect to my hi-fi.

If I run on batteries only then there is not ground loop buzz and everything runs a treat.

None of the laptop PSU's I have posess an earth line. Instead they're simply double insulated and I believe Mac laptop PSU's are the same.
That would make sense, I wasn't trying to start a Mac vs PC argument, just that I had heard of the problems with Macs from my boss Paul, who does audio stuff and is a big Mac user.

Cheers.

Phill.

sirmorris

Post by sirmorris » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:03 am

Out of interest - why bother with the intermediate tape step? You can play the file directly to the Atom. I suppose your main machine must be somewhere away from the TV :)

danielj

Post by danielj » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:22 am

It's a laptop, so I could, but the 3.5mm to din lead I have doesn't fit in the back of the atom and I couldn't be mithered to make another one up or give maplin any more money. Soldering din plugs is the least fun thing ever. Plus I quite enjoyed dusting off the old tape deck and finding a use for the vast array of blank tapes I had lying around... I should add that my other half has not enjoyed any of this. Particularly the squeaky noises.

Of course, in the commotion I've now misplaced the tops of the volume and tone sliders. Go me :)

d.

paulv

Post by paulv » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:42 pm

That would make sense, I wasn't trying to start a Mac vs PC argument
Neither was I :wink: Just pointing out that it's a feature of most external PSU's for computers in general i.e. No earth, double insulated mains supplies = ground loop buzz regardless of the hardware vendor or the OS sat atop it.