Atom help

discussion of games, software, hardware & emulators relating to the Acorn Atom and Acorn System machines.
LeeB

Atom help

Post by LeeB » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:48 pm

Sickness leads to boredom, boredom leads to digging through cupboards...

I've finally gotten around to digging out my old Acorn Atom from storage and powering it up (for what must be the first time in... twenty years maybe?).

However, before I even try and remember how to use one of these beasties, I'm having a slight problem.
Namely this;

Now, the exact same cable and TV works on one of my Beebs, but the Atom does this (using the UHF out socket - the 'video' connection doesn't seem to do anything at all!) - i've tried adjusting the tuning on the TV, but to no avail.

Am i just being a bit dense and plugged the wrong wotsit into the wrong doodah, or is there something else afoot?

And if anyone's interested, this is what the inside of this Atom looks like;

Any help or advice would be very welcomed! :)

IanS

Re: Atom help

Post by IanS » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:02 pm

Just looks like you TV doesn't handle the 60Hz of the Atom output very well, have you tried another telly, or if it's really old, look for a vertical hold control.

Looks to me like it's working fine.

LeeB

Post by LeeB » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:27 pm

Ah-ha! You sir, are a genius! Thank you! =D>

Yes, unfortunately, the little portable TV I use for these things doesn't seem to cope with the Atom's signal.

Neither did the cheapo LCD in the bedroom.

Ultimately it fell to my plasma TV in the living room...
"Hello World" in all it's 42" Plasma glory... :twisted:

Yep, the little Atom that could.
Not bad for twenty-plus years in storage (most of which was in my parents loft).

IanS

Post by IanS » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:43 pm

Looks like you'll need some sensible storage for it now:- http://www.stairwaytohell.com/sthforums ... 88&start=0

LeeB

Post by LeeB » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:48 pm

I have to admit, it was that thread that kind of reminded me that I still had the old Atom in a box somewhere. :)

I think i need to brush up on what it can do and how it does it... i can hardly remember anything about it at the moment!

Thankfully I still have my original copy of "Atomic Theory and Practice" on the book shelf... :D