Disc Pack and Micro Gotek problems

emulators, hardware and classic software for atom + system machines
-B-

Disc Pack and Micro Gotek problems

Post by -B- »

Hi All,
I have bought a Micro Gotek by Zaxon from SellMyRetro: https://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/detai ... otek-32413
I have dropped a few of Kees' .dsk files on it from the AGD packs for testing but I am not having much luck with it.
The connection and jumper details are here http://www.eightbitclone.com/mg.html The only difference between these photos and the device I received are that the rotary encoder is on a small PCB. I have double checked all the connections against those photos too.

I am using a 16GB Sandisk fit formatted to FAT32.

So far, I have tried setting it as DS0 and DS1 with and without the MTR jumper for Shugart Pin 16 but the result is always the same...
The OLED screen shows an image is mounted but the encoder does not seem to let me press to unmount and rotate to select another image.
The Atom doesn't seem to see it either.

What settings have other people put into the FF.CFG file to tailor it to Atom use instead of the default auto settings (aimed at Prime)?

My other thought is that maybe the Disc Pack PSU is noisy which is maybe confusing the Micro Gotek?

Neil.
Atom | BBC Model A | BBC Model B | Electron | Olivetti PC128S.
danielj

Re: Disc Pack and Micro Gotek problems

Post by danielj »

It sounds more hardware than anything else - have you asked Zaxon? Did the encoder come with it? Check the flashfloppy wiki too - the general assumption for a normal gotek is that the encoder's not on a little PCB, but if it is, the wiring changes. Not sure what the assumption is on the microgotek... https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki

The 5V from the disc pack should be fine, it's a linear PSU and goes through a bunch of regulators.

d.
-B-

Post by -B- »

The little PCB that the encoder sits on is simply for linking the encoder's pins to a 4 pin header. If that helps.
danielj

Post by danielj »

No resistors? I'd ask zaxon in that case. certainly you should see that pressing the encoder results in one of the pins being grounded...
d.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

The rotary encoder is just a fancy switch (I’ve opened one up to look inside).
There is a push button contact (two pins, made when pressed SPST contact) plus the rotary contacts (two) plus a common for the rotary contacts (one) making a total of five contacts.

If you disconnect the wiring to external devices, it is possible to test the switch contacts.

Mark
-B-

Post by -B- »

Thanks but I already checked the wiring of the encoder and the switch is working.

So I’m thinking it’s either the card setup or actually something wrong with the micro Gotek itself. I was surprised when it turned up in a Jiffy bag.

I could try it on a different system and try and rule out the card or hardware. Once I am happy that it works, I will revisit the Atom and try some FF.CFG changes.

Return to “acorn atom and acorn system series”