ICET and XC6SLX9 Mini setup.

discussion of games, software, hardware & emulators relating to the Acorn Atom
Prime

ICET and XC6SLX9 Mini setup.

Post by Prime » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:30 pm

Hi All,

I'm trying to setup the XC6SLX9 Mini board along with one of Jason's boards to do 6502 debug.

Firstly I have modified my XC6SLX9 Mini board as it is one of the later ones that has the single row of pins for the JTAG at right angles to the board so I have removed and replaced with a right angled connector so that it comes out planar to the board making programing whilst mated to Jason's board possible.

Next question, is my board a Jason board or a Jason flipped? (I'll include pictures).
DSC_0773.JPG
DSC_0772.JPG
Second question do I need to power the board via the USB connector to program it, or can it be powered by the target board? I do remember Jason making jumpers on the needed power pins.

Cheers.

Phill.

hoglet

Re: ICET and XC6SLX9 Mini setup.

Post by hoglet » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:50 am

Prime wrote: Next question, is my board a Jason board or a Jason flipped? (I'll include pictures).
It's currently jumpered as a "non flipped", so when plugged in the USB port should point towards the keyboard.

The "flipped" configuration allows the board + adapted to be plugged in to the 6502 socket the other way around, so the USB port is pointing into that machine, which is more convenient as it doesn't foul the keyboard. To use this configuration you also need to move the "pin 8" jumper.

(It's only possible to do this because the power pins have rotational symmetry)
Prime wrote: Second question do I need to power the board via the USB connector to program it, or can it be powered by the target board? I do remember Jason making jumpers on the needed power pins.
I would recommend powering the board from USB and programming it first.

Also, don't make links JPA and JPB (to power from the target) unless you unsolder a diode from the FPGA board. Otherwise you risk trying to power the whole Beeb from the USB port.

Dave

Prime

Post by Prime » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:20 am

hoglet wrote:
Prime wrote: Next question, is my board a Jason board or a Jason flipped? (I'll include pictures).
It's currently jumpered as a "non flipped", so when plugged in the USB port should point towards the keyboard.
I assume you mean on a beeb, currently I'm (wanting to) use it on my System clone board :)
The "flipped" configuration allows the board + adapted to be plugged in to the 6502 socket the other way around, so the USB port is pointing into that machine, which is more convenient as it doesn't foul the keyboard. To use this configuration you also need to move the "pin 8" jumper.

(It's only possible to do this because the power pins have rotational symmetry)
Yeah that makes sense, I noticed the symetrical power connectors when I was looking at the FPGA board.
I would recommend powering the board from USB and programming it first.
Right, I'll do that, I have plugged the FPGA board in on it's own into a USB lead, and it powered up, the FTDI detected as a serial port in Windows, and the FPGA started flashing the blue LEDS which i assume is a default demo program, so board is working.

Will flash the code tonight.
Also, don't make links JPA and JPB (to power from the target) unless you unsolder a diode from the FPGA board. Otherwise you risk trying to power the whole Beeb from the USB port.
Right will bear that in mind, shouldn't be a problem with just the CPU card, but with all the other stuff connected might be too much from a standard USB port :)

Cheers.

Phill.

flynnjs

Post by flynnjs » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:15 am

hoglet wrote: Also, don't make links JPA and JPB (to power from the target) unless you unsolder a diode from the FPGA board. Otherwise you risk trying to power the whole Beeb from the USB port.

Dave
Just be clear, those jumpers are to self power the FPGA should you be using it without USB.
For example, I have the serial port wired to a Bluetooth module so I could debug without a
cable.