need Acorn Atom expert

discussion of games, software, hardware & emulators relating to the Acorn Atom
rkindig

need Acorn Atom expert

Post by rkindig » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:59 am

Hi, my name is Randy Kindig and I host the Floppy Days Podcast (floppydays.com) on vintage computing. I'm planning to cover the Acorn Atom soon and I need an expert on that machine to help me with that.

Would someone on this list be willing to help?

Who are the movers and shakers in the Acorn Atom community? Anyone out there who was involved with its development or develops current upgrades for the machine?

thanks!

Randy

oss003

Re: need Acorn Atom expert

Post by oss003 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:07 am

Hello rkindig,

welcome to the forum and I'm happy to share information about the Atom with you.
Maybe this list of Atomic expansions with link to the developers helps you: http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... ard#p86259

Greetings
Kees

waltermixxx

Post by waltermixxx » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:45 pm

Wow Randy, that is so cool.

the Acorn Atom eh? I cannot wait to hear that episode. (Long time listener) I'm not the expert you seek, however there are many here,
but I did have one as a kid in Canada of all places. There, as far as I know, was only one place in Canada that sold them
(Global Electronics).

I don't know how many sold in North America, but software and hardware for it was scarce. But I loved that computer,
and like many regret selling it to upgrade to something else.

looking forward to the show. :)

rkindig

Post by rkindig » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:10 pm

Excellent, Kees, thank you! That should help me get started. Am I able to PM any of those people?

Randy
oss003 wrote:Hello rkindig,

welcome to the forum and I'm happy to share information about the Atom with you.
Maybe this list of Atomic expansions with link to the developers helps you: http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... ard#p86259

Greetings
Kees

rkindig

Post by rkindig » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:12 pm

Maybe you have some memories you can contribute? I would love to get a 2-3 minute audio segment from you about your memories of the machine. Is that possible? Think of the fame and fortune surely to come from being on the podcast! ;)

thanks
waltermixxx wrote:Wow Randy, that is so cool.

the Acorn Atom eh? I cannot wait to hear that episode. (Long time listener) I'm not the expert you seek, however there are many here,
but I did have one as a kid in Canada of all places. There, as far as I know, was only one place in Canada that sold them
(Global Electronics).

I don't know how many sold in North America, but software and hardware for it was scarce. But I loved that computer,
and like many regret selling it to upgrade to something else.

looking forward to the show. :)

oss003

Post by oss003 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:39 pm

rkindig wrote:Am I able to PM any of those people?
Just ask the moderators ...... :) or post your questions in this topic.

Greetings
Kees

waltermixxx

Post by waltermixxx » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:28 pm

Once I get my Acorn Atom, (I have one coming to me from the Netherlands) I would be happy to record some fond memories of using my Acorn Atom, but I have to be honest, I'm the odd man out, in that these were much more popular in the U.K. and I don't think I knew anyone who had an Acorn Atom buy myself... and oddly enough I cannot recall the events that led up to the purchase, except that I had seen add for it in a local magazine, (Electronics Today a Canadian Electronics hobby magazine), I purchased it second hand from someone for only $150.00 Canadian at the time), and that despite the basic being nothing like any other basic I knew (or pretended to know). :) and of course that I loved it and I was hooked on computers. :)

Perhaps some of good folks from Britain and the Netherlands may wish to P.M. you with a recorded segment on their first experiences with the Acorn Atom. :)

whats the time line on this? I hope to get my Acorn Atom in a week or so, and I want to mess around with it before recording. :)

:)