Archi Impression Format Conversion Request

These forums are for community collaboration on archiving, magazine scanning etc. to avoid work duplication and agree conventions / define standards
cjr8bs

Archi Impression Format Conversion Request

Post by cjr8bs » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:43 am

Hello :-)

Working my way through the 8-Bit Software manual collection, creating thumbnails and fixing broken stuff, there are a couple of things that are in impression format only. Not having an Archimedes, I cannot read the files.

Is there anyone who is willing to convert these impression documents to JPG, GIF BMP, TIFF, PDF or RTF please?

Chris

paulv

Re: Archi Impression Format Conversion Request

Post by paulv » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:51 am

You don't need an Arc. If you have a Pi with RISC OS on you should be able to do that. If not I can probably do it for you.

Paul

tautology

Post by tautology » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:03 am

There's some partially documentation on it from David Boddie: http://www.boddie.org.uk/david/Projects ... mpression/

I keep meaning to have a crack at the format myself as I have a load of old Impression documents I can only viewed on Red Squirrel (or my Arc).

cjr8bs

Post by cjr8bs » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:28 am

paulv wrote:You don't need an Arc. If you have a Pi with RISC OS on you should be able to do that. If not I can probably do it for you.

Paul
Ah, didn't win my Pi at Wakefield :-(.

Thanks for the offer of help. Will get back to you with a PM shortly

Chris

cjr8bs

Post by cjr8bs » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:34 am

tautology wrote:There's some partially documentation on it from David Boddie: http://www.boddie.org.uk/david/Projects ... mpression/

I keep meaning to have a crack at the format myself as I have a load of old Impression documents I can only viewed on Red Squirrel (or my Arc).
Ta. Yeah, I found that. If I read and understood it properly: I Don't have python installed and for a couple of documents I don't think it's worth putting it on my PC or asking Joel to install the tool on courgette for me. I seem to have an offer for conversion which would be the simplest option for the moment.

Chris

paulv

Post by paulv » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:02 am

It's certainly simple with the Pi.

I did an IFEL manual in Impression format to PDF not long ago...

http://www.retro-kit.co.uk/user/custom/ ... -Board.pdf

Paul

davidb

Post by davidb » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:12 pm

cjr8bs wrote:
tautology wrote:There's some partially documentation on it from David Boddie: http://www.boddie.org.uk/david/Projects ... mpression/

Ta. Yeah, I found that. If I read and understood it properly: I Don't have python installed and for a couple of documents I don't think it's worth putting it on my PC or asking Joel to install the tool on courgette for me. I seem to have an offer for conversion which would be the simplest option for the moment.
Yes, it's probably easiest to get someone to do it on a Pi with Ovation Pro, if Impression doesn't run.

The tools I wrote do a bit more than the incomplete format description on the page might suggest, but not everything I would like. I never seem to find the time to work on them. In theory, though, they would be useful for batch conversion if you could be confident that they had converted all the features your documents use. (They don't understand irregular frames, for instance.)

paulv

Post by paulv » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:18 am

All converted to PDF format and sent back Chris for review :D

Paul

cjr8bs

Post by cjr8bs » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:15 am

All sorted. Thanks to Paulv =D> for doing the conversion. Six in all that were in impression only format now also as PDF.

Chris