Project (idea) to scrape Freegle and rescue old disks/hardware

These forums are for community collaboration on archiving, magazine scanning etc. to avoid work duplication and agree conventions / define standards
Break

Project (idea) to scrape Freegle and rescue old disks/hardware

Post by Break » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:34 am

I picked up some BBC disks randomly last year, from a post on my local Freegle - I've since found out the disks contain quite a few MIA educational titles.

This was the first time I've seen any floppies offered on there (over the last 2-3 years) but the way Freegle works I can only see my local area (approx 5-10 miles). There might have been similar offerings in other areas (there are literally hundreds of separate areas nationwide) but I can't find any way to do a nationwide search like eBay & Gumtree. AFAICS you'd have to search each of the 300+ areas, or sign up to them all and process the daily emails.

However... I looked on the Freegle website today and they have a map that has a national live feed of every post made, in real time: https://www.ilovefreegle.org/livemap

I wonder if it's possible to interrogate the api (or whatever it is) that makes these live posts, and have a script flag key words like 'floppy', 'floppies' 'model b' etc... to stardot.org. There's enough of the UK covered by stardot.org users that if ever such a post does pop up, the disks/hardware could hopefully be rescued by a local.

This sort of programming is way beyond me, but I wondered if anyone on here would know if it is possible, and the right way to approach it?

(Or if anyone knows a way to search Freegle nationally, problem solved!)
Last edited by Break on Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.