Today I received.....

on-topic acorn-related discussions not covered by the other forums
Rod C

Re: Today I received.....

Post by Rod C » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:46 pm

Risc PC.jpg
Recently I picked up this very nice Risc PC 600 with a large bundle of educational software and documentation. It was originally used in a primary school and has file server software installed.

It was described as non-booting but I found it starts up fine when holding down the delete key. The previous owner had removed the battery and fitted a remote AAA rechargeable. He said that it worked like this until recently taken out of storage. Now the cmos chip does not retain configuration settings so I will need to find out what’s going on there.

The computer is in beautiful clean condition with no school markings and even the springs on the front covers are intact. I’m excited to have the network card and file server software and have a little future project in mind…

RiscPC 600, 2 slice, 64MB RAM, 1MB VRAM, RiscOS 3.5
• IDE hard drive 406MB
• Sony CD-ROM Drive
• i-cubed EtherLAN 600 interface
• Cumana SCSI interface card
• SCSI HD
• Irlam instruments 24 bit Video/16 bit Audio Digitiser card
• Logitech mouse
• Spare ARM610 CPU card (working)

Nearly all of the software is in original packages with installation media and documentation. With a quick look over the hard disc it seems that it has all been installed including the file server software.

AUN/Level 4 Fileserver Release 3 (Acorn) Boxed package with software and documentation.

Acorn Access Networking hints and tips Issue 1 Jan 1994 (8 page leaflet)

Acorn Access CDShare

Cumana CD-ROM Instructions Models 300i & 300iA for Acorn Risc PC computers (28 page booklet)

Cumana CD-ROM and Multimedia Portfolio 7th Ed 1994 (catalogue)

Acorn multiscan monitor User Guide AKF50 and AKF60 series 1994 (33 pages)

Acorn multiscan monitor User Guide AKF65 1996 (35 pages)

Irlam Instruments 24i16 Multimedia System for RISC OS computers
• 24i16 User Guide (38 page booklet)
• Installation Notes (3 A4 pages)

Risc PC documentation package (opened)
• Acorn Risc PC Welcome Guide Issue 2 1994 (126 page booklet)
• Acorn Risc OS 3 User Guide Issue 2 1994 (570 page book)
• The Virus Protection Scheme (single sheet) 2 copies

Risc PC documentation package (unopened, shrink wrapped)

Acorn Risc PC Release note, 1994 (20 pages)

Electronic Arts Syndicate Plus strategy game, boxed software and documentation

Around the World in 80 Days (Sherston Software Ltd)

TABS 3D Modelling for the Acorn Archimedes (by Tim Humphries, Aspex Software)

Go Go! a turtle graphics program for Acorn Risc_OS Computers (Northwest SEMERC, Silica Software Systems), boxed package

Sea Rescue: Primary Maths Series, Fractions (Sherston Software)

Space City: Primary Maths Series, Angles (Sherston Software)

The Cartoon Collection Graphics Library Pack (Micro Studio Ltd)

World Geography Maps Graphics Library Pack (Micro Studio Ltd)

Transport Graphics Library Pack (Micro Studio Ltd)

History Graphics Library Pack (Micro Studio Ltd)

Childrens Graphics Library Pack (Micro Studio Ltd)

Phases Clip Art Disc 1 (Northwest SEMERC)

!Soapbox Spelling with Speech (Xavier Educational Software Ltd)

Textease Word Processor and Desktop Publisher (Softease Limited)

Children’s Micropedia 2nd Ed (Kingfisher)

Maths Circus (Greygum Software, QLD, Australia)

Maths Circus Act 2 (Greygum Software, QLD, Australia)

PrimeSolver (Minerva Software 1993)

My World 2 (Derbyshire County Council)

Crystal Logo (Sherston Software)

The Crystal Rainforest (Sherston Software)

Kid Pix (Broderbund)

Explore with Flossy the Frog Site Licence Version (4Mation 1993)

My World 2 (DESCIT Derbyshire Educational Support Centre for IT)

My World of Cloze Reading for Infant’s Grades (Bellbird Acorn Education Centre, Artarmon, NSW Australia)

Simple Stuff Maths (Northwest SEMERC 1991)

Victorian Infant Cursive Font (Peter Dowsett, Bellbird Victoria, Australia)

Voyage of Discovery (Sherston Software 1994)

The World of Number Picture Gallery (National Curriculum Council & New Media Projects Ltd 1993)

Acorn Replay Video Clip Collection One (CD ROM is missing)
Talking Pendown for Archimedes (Longman Logotron)

First Logo (Longman Logotron)

Insight: Measurement with Understanding (Longman Logotron)

Archimedes Magpie: Information by Design (Longman Logotron)

Oz Maps discs 1-4, hand labelled in plastic box (Black Box Company label)

Dyspell-ARC Release 2.0 Update 04 (sally Systems Ltd 1997)

Out to Lunch Screen Savers Disk

Acorn Photo CD Sample Application CLD021 Issue 1 02/95 (Acorn Computers Ltd, Eastman Kodak Company, Distributed by Cumana Ltd)

Sense & Control (Data Harvest Educational Electronics)
• Sense & Control Data Logger with RTC, rear ports (Serial, Parallel, User, ADC) and front input ports (4 analogue, 2 digital)
• A technical description and ideas for investigations (13 page A4 booklet)
• Practical Science with Microcomputers, Software version 2 for the Acorn & BBC machines (44 page A4 booklet)
• Data Harvest Power supply
• Temperature probe -10 to 110C (3 probes)
• Light Level probe
• Light Gates (2 digital sensors)
• pH Adaptor (probe missing)

24i16 Software
Disc1
!ARWork (Temporary work space)
!AR_Irlam (An application to play Replay Sound through the card)
!ReplayDIY (24i16 control software)
Read_Me
Disc2
!ARMovie (Updated version)
Disc3
!ARMovie (Merge with !ARMovie from Disc2)

Leew

Post by Leew » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:57 pm

Lardo Boffin wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:04 pm
Leew wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:46 pm
Lardo Boffin wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:39 pm

Whats that one?
It's a reimagined Atari VCS (2600) games console, made by Atari but isn't retro like the Spectrum Next. It's all modern up to date architecture inside. https://atarivcs.com/
Interesting looking bit of kit! Just not sure where I will put my Solaris cartridge though.
Yes.... Well.... Ermm.... I won't answer that one with the first thing that sprang into my mind :-D :-D :-D

However, I think they are prealoading an emulator and a bunch of the 2600 cartridges into the console, although I don't know if Solaris would be on that list.
Lee W
------------
Proud owner of many Electrons, some Beebs, a couple of Archies, some Commodore 64s, Amigas, Atari STs and an Atari Falcon 030
Lemmings are for life, not just the 90's... https://www.lemmingsworld.me

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:20 pm

That is a brilliant acquisition of the RISCPC setup. =D> 8)
- John

tricky

Post by tricky » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:22 pm

paddle_tempest_knob.jpg
Some green buttons from China and a lovely Tempest knob from Vic of the 10p arcade podcast fame.
paddle_wiring.jpg
The wiring is to send the "gray codes" to the fire buttons, while still having two more for the button and depressing the knob, while the extra plug (no shown!) is so that the same controller can be used on the Vectrex..
paddle_small_knob.jpg
And this is the temporary known that I might still use and keep the Tempest knob for a better "control panel".

markjw

Post by markjw » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:01 pm

desoldering station.jpg
desoldering station.jpg (8.66 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
got myself a Duratool desoldering station from CPC - can now see about getting some of the outstanding repairs done - also have got a Hantek USB oscilloscope and a USB logic analyser to play with so I can do some troubleshooting

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:51 pm

Nice.

I usually use a solder sucker to desolder stuff but I do have a 'proper' de-soldering station similar to yours. I've only needed to use it twice but when I did it was indispensable. They are a great tool. :D
- John

roganjosh

Post by roganjosh » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:50 pm

Received, as a gift, a nice little Z84 single board computer. Lots of bank-switching flexibility and even the possibility to run CP/M from a CF card.

http://linc.no/products/linc80-sbc

Also got with it a digital IO card, ROM card, busboard (backplane) and Z50Bus prototype card. It'll make a nice sibling to my SC126 Z180 SBC https://smallcomputercentral.wordpress. ... rd-rc2014/.

Alan

tricky

Post by tricky » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:36 pm

I have the duratool but have been thinking of adding a "tank" and instant value like I saw on YouTube to give it a little more initial suction.

Kazzie

Post by Kazzie » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:23 pm

tricky wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:36 pm
I have the duratool but have been thinking of adding a "tank" and instant value like I saw on YouTube to give it a little more initial suction.
That sounds like a dodgy investment proposition! :lol:
BBC Model B 32k issue 7, Sidewise ROM board with 16K RAM
Archimedes 420/1 upgraded to 4MB RAM, ZIDEFS with 512MB CF card
Acorn System 1 home-made replica

roland

Post by roland » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:33 pm

image.jpg
A dual PLCC32 and PLCC44 adapter for my breadboard, including jtag connector for XC9536 and -72 CPLD’s.
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:

tricky

Post by tricky » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:39 pm

Kazzie wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:23 pm
tricky wrote:
Well, I've been thinking about it for a couple of yeras, usually when it gets blocked and I have to stick my soldering iron up the wrong end of its tube!

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:23 pm

tricky wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:39 pm
Kazzie wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:23 pm
tricky wrote:
Well, I've been thinking about it for a couple of yeras, usually when it gets blocked and I have to stick my soldering iron up the wrong end of its tube!
I had a look at the YouTube vid of the vacuum 'tank' idea. What I came up with is this: Some logic to do the following - momentary press of the trigger will turn-on the vacuum pump and charge a 'small' internal vacuum tank - a second press of the trigger to operate 'instant' full vacuum from the tank - a third press of the trigger to stop the vacuum. Could be doable fully internally ??

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

tricky

Post by tricky » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:07 am

I was wondering about a timer, which could be a few seconds so that holding the trigger would start the pump and then a few seconds later, the valve would open and stay open until you let go.
I don't do analogue electronics (not even for digital), but wondered if just a simple resistor + capacitor + transistor (triac?) would do?

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:41 pm

tricky wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:07 am
I was wondering about a timer, which could be a few seconds so that holding the trigger would start the pump and then a few seconds later, the valve would open and stay open until you let go.
I don't do analogue electronics (not even for digital), but wondered if just a simple resistor + capacitor + transistor (triac?) would do?
Doing it that way takes control away from you e.g. if it's a difficult joint to 'flow'. Either way a simple digital control circuit will suffice with a suitable driver to the parts needing switching on/off. I think the main issue would be finding the vacuum container and vacuum valve.

I'm interested in this project but dare not go any further . . . too many current projects :roll:

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:45 pm

A nice boxed Electron ISO Pascal ROM version, sadly minus the ROM cartridge (but then I don’t have a +1 or similar yet anyway)!

A8EB56DA-7E4A-452A-97DA-607DE0439107.jpeg
Atom, issue 5
Elk
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
USA Model B
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA

jimmydeath

Post by jimmydeath » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:09 am

tricky wrote:
You mean similar to this :D

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15067&p=202780#p202780

tricky

Post by tricky » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:31 am

I'd have to mount it in the loft as my room is full ;)

stuslayer

Post by stuslayer » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:41 pm

From here...
20200411_132145.jpg
not sure how to rotate the image!
...one of these :D

20200411_132357.jpg
Going to have a play this afternoon. Now I need some cartridges, interfaces.... the wife will be so pleased!!

philpem

Post by philpem » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:30 am

Rod C wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:46 pm
Recently I picked up this very nice Risc PC 600 with a large bundle of educational software and documentation. It was originally used in a primary school and has file server software installed.
Nice find, Rod!

I remember playing about with/on Crystal Rainforest, Around The World In 80 Days, SPEX and Magpie back in school. I'll have to try harder to hunt down a copy for myself!

Rod C

Post by Rod C » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:37 am

philpem wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:30 am
Rod C wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:46 pm
Nice find, Rod!

I remember playing about with/on Crystal Rainforest, Around The World In 80 Days, SPEX and Magpie back in school. I'll have to try harder to hunt down a copy for myself!
CrystalRF.JPG
CrystalRF.JPG (16.55 KiB) Viewed 717 times
Yes, it was a pretty lucky purchase at a very reasonable price. Now I can try to network it to my other one :D for which I had picked up a network podule last year just in case it might come in handy :lol: :lol: :lol: . I was a bit overwhelmed to get all the software packages, documentation and sampling gear as well. I thought it was such a nice historical bundle so I put a fair bit of time into documenting everything to start with. Then it took me ages to work out how to get the CD driver and interface software into !Boot. Thanks to hubersn here viewtopic.php?t=12951#p167284. My problem was exactly the same as Zarchos had.

Next I dived into the SCSI configuration and was really happy when I got three partitions of the SCSI hard drive mounted. One has the networking setup and the other two were empty before I test copied !Sparkplug.
Desktop.jpg
Next I'll have to tackle the CMOS problem...

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:36 am

stuslayer wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:41 pm
not sure how to rotate the image!!!
Hold the mobile phone or pad the other way up. Or use a photo editing App to edit and then resave the photo.

Mark

philpem

Post by philpem » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:57 am

Rod C wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:37 am
Yes, it was a pretty lucky purchase at a very reasonable price. Now I can try to network it to my other one :D for which I had picked up a network podule last year just in case it might come in handy :lol: :lol: :lol: . I was a bit overwhelmed to get all the software packages, documentation and sampling gear as well. I thought it was such a nice historical bundle so I put a fair bit of time into documenting everything to start with. Then it took me ages to work out how to get the CD driver and interface software into !Boot. Thanks to hubersn here viewtopic.php?t=12951#p167284. My problem was exactly the same as Zarchos had.

Next I dived into the SCSI configuration and was really happy when I got three partitions of the SCSI hard drive mounted. One has the networking setup and the other two were empty before I test copied !Sparkplug.

Next I'll have to tackle the CMOS problem...
Hopefully not teaching Granny to suck eggs here -- but I hope you've taken an image of the hard drives!

As for the CMOS problem - what's the matter with it, the usual battery leakage issues? (... on that note perhaps we should take this discussion to 32bit Hardware!)

aotta

Post by aotta » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:47 pm

Some Beeb and drives... will they work?
I won them in a big lot on the bay, but seller didn't included the electron and the zx81, both boxed, that was in the lot... i'd to complain!
Update: noticed only now that the shipping was splitted in two different parcels.. so i'm waiting for the rest of the bundle! :D
bbcstuff1.jpg

roland

Post by roland » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:55 pm

A few days ago I received 20 pcs LM3940IT-3.3 (voltage regulators) from some Ali seller. Today I used one in my new ESP board and I noticed that the voltage for the CPLD and the WiFi module was way to high (almost 4.7V). After a little research I discovered that all those regulators have their input at pin 3 and the output at pin 1. Despite of what the datasheets are saying :twisted:

I have opened a dispute at Ali and for the time being I can mount it on the bottom side of the board :mrgreen:
IMG_4198.JPG
IMG_4199.JPG

LordVaderUK

Post by LordVaderUK » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:13 pm

aotta wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:47 pm
I won them in a big lot on the bay, but seller didn't included the electron and the zx81, both boxed, that was in the lot... i'd to complain!
Update: noticed only now that the shipping was splitted in two different parcels.. so i'm waiting for the rest of the bundle! :D
bbcstuff1.jpg
Nice! Can I ask how much you paid for this little lot?
Loving my BBC Master 128

aotta

Post by aotta » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:52 pm

LordVaderUK wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:13 pm
aotta wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:47 pm
bbcstuff1.jpg
Nice! Can I ask how much you paid for this little lot?
Of couurse, I won all the bundle for 113£ plus shipping (about 34 pounds for the twoo eavy box!).
All beebs are working (well, now two of them needs new psu capacitor, as they smoked after few minutes), and the cumana double drive seems working too. I've not checked the single drive yet.
Now, i hope will arrive soon the other box with the zx81 and the electron (from pictures, there's a plus1 and other interesting stuff too, all boxed!).
This was the auction: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114157429751
I think i made one of the best shopping in ebay since ever, i was lucky!

roland

Post by roland » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:25 am

roland wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:55 pm
A few days ago I received 20 pcs LM3940IT-3.3 (voltage regulators) from some Ali seller. Today I used one in my new ESP board and I noticed that the voltage for the CPLD and the WiFi module was way to high (almost 4.7V). After a little research I discovered that all those regulators have their input at pin 3 and the output at pin 1. Despite of what the datasheets are saying :twisted:

I have opened a dispute at Ali and for the time being I can mount it on the bottom side of the board :mrgreen:
Ali handled the dispute very well: the money is already back on my paypal account and I don't have to return the defective parts :)

stuslayer

Post by stuslayer » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:15 am

A new joystick for my Elk and Plus 1:
20200415_111141.jpg
20200415_111216.jpg
Looks in good nick, can't wait to try it out!

markjw

Post by markjw » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:20 pm

aotta wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:52 pm
Of couurse, I won all the bundle for 113£ plus shipping (about 34 pounds for the twoo eavy box!).
All beebs are working (well, now two of them needs new psu capacitor, as they smoked after few minutes), and the cumana double drive seems working too. I've not checked the single drive yet.
Now, i hope will arrive soon the other box with the zx81 and the electron (from pictures, there's a plus1 and other interesting stuff too, all boxed!).
This was the auction: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114157429751
I think i made one of the best shopping in ebay since ever, i was lucky!
that sounds like a extremely good deal to me - ignoring the other stuff, that works out at £49 per BBC which is quite a bit under what I've seen them going for on eBay. Hopefully the second box will turn up soon.

Nice bonus that they all work and only need new capacitors

aotta

Post by aotta » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:05 pm

markjw wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:20 pm
Hopefully the second box will turn up soon.
Yes, today i received... the second box! :D :D
bundle2.jpg
really a rich bundle! and hw seem in good condition. It's time to test...

Return to “general”