Today I received.....

on-topic Acorn-related news and discussions not covered by the other forums
User avatar
vanpeebles
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:01 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by vanpeebles » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:26 pm

lazarusr wrote:and I have the power to sentence people to very long prison terms.
Do the other ones also have this? It never seems to be used these days :lol:

User avatar
IanS
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by IanS » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:08 pm

IMG_20180324_152649278_HDR.jpg
A3000 IDE interface using ZIDEFS

User avatar
danielj
Posts: 6167
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by danielj » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:37 pm

Big applause! Well done! :)

d.

steve3000
Posts: 1838
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:43 am
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by steve3000 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:52 pm

This is brilliant! Well done!

User avatar
lcww1
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:16 pm
Location: East of the Sun and West of the Moon
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by lcww1 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:34 am

E465BA2F-2892-41CD-9053-8CE16D6C5C2D.jpeg
OSHPark Econet Clock v2 PCB
PCBs from OSHPark for Simon Inns’ Econet Clock v2 https://www.waitingforfriday.com/?p=19

the PCBs are two sided, as OSHPark don’t do single sided PCBs, but it should work ok - if this PCB does work, then I may have a board or two spare that I’d be happy to share....

User avatar
IanS
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by IanS » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:27 pm

lcww1 wrote:PCBs from OSHPark for Simon Inns’ Econet Clock v2 https://www.waitingforfriday.com/?p=19

the PCBs are two sided, as OSHPark don’t do single sided PCBs, but it should work ok - if this PCB does work, then I may have a board or two spare that I’d be happy to share....
Nice, if you only have a small network, then you can usually get away without terminators, but you will probably find you need the line biasing components to avoid "line jammed" error. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12580&p=161029#p161029

User avatar
lcww1
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:16 pm
Location: East of the Sun and West of the Moon
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by lcww1 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:35 pm

IanS wrote:if you only have a small network, then you can usually get away without terminators, but you will probably find you need the line biasing components to avoid "line jammed" error.

Good advice! Thanks Ian - and thanks also for the link your modified clock design, that’s most interesting - I was thinking about adding a voltage regulator to allow the clock to be safely powered from a Beeb auxiliary power port.... My Econet is only small at the moment, but it is growing, and my plan is to have separate 8bit and 32bit nets linked via a bridge :D

johnkenyon
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:21 pm
Location: Coventry
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by johnkenyon » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:14 pm

lcww1 wrote:I was thinking about adding a voltage regulator to allow the clock to be safely powered from a Beeb auxiliary power port.... My Econet is only small at the moment, but it is growing, and my plan is to have separate 8bit and 32bit nets linked via a bridge :D
You've already got a +5v supply on the BBC aux power port, so just nail it up directly.

john

User avatar
lcww1
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:16 pm
Location: East of the Sun and West of the Moon
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by lcww1 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:42 pm

johnkenyon wrote:You've already got a +5v supply on the BBC aux power port, so just nail it up directly.
Yes, but I’ve a hazy, and possible incorrect, memory that the +5v from the auxiliary port isn’t regulated - please correct me if I’m wrong about that though - with the design of this clock it’s very important that the clock supply voltage is regulated as described on Simon Inns’ website, so I’m not keen to take any chances....

User avatar
danielj
Posts: 6167
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by danielj » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:44 pm

5V out of the AUX is indeed regulated. The 12V isn't (very).

d.

User avatar
lcww1
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:16 pm
Location: East of the Sun and West of the Moon
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by lcww1 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:26 am

danielj wrote:5V out of the AUX is indeed regulated.
Thanks for confirming that - I’ve also just found the PSU circuit diagram in the Service Manual (a rather wonderful document that I hadn’t come across until this weekend - I wish there was something like this for the 32bit machines - the TRMs are rather terse by comparison) that shows a Zener diode regulator on the +5v output - so, I can relax!

User avatar
1024MAK
Posts: 7419
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:46 pm
Location: Looking forward to summer in Somerset, UK...
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by 1024MAK » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:31 pm

lcww1 wrote:
johnkenyon wrote:You've already got a +5v supply on the BBC aux power port, so just nail it up directly.
Yes, but I’ve a hazy, and possible incorrect, memory that the +5v from the auxiliary port isn’t regulated - please correct me if I’m wrong about that though - with the design of this clock it’s very important that the clock supply voltage is regulated as described on Simon Inns’ website, so I’m not keen to take any chances....
You may be misremembering...
The Beeb PSU produces:
  • +5V regulated
  • -5V smoothed but not regulated
  • +12V smoothed but not regulated
Although there is more than one wire/terminal per supply rail, they all come from the same PSU rail. So the +5V on the external aux onnector is the exact same supply as fed to the Beeb's motherboard. The +5V is normally well within 2% of 5V.

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

User avatar
1024MAK
Posts: 7419
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:46 pm
Location: Looking forward to summer in Somerset, UK...
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by 1024MAK » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:36 pm

lcww1 wrote:
danielj wrote:5V out of the AUX is indeed regulated.
Thanks for confirming that - I’ve also just found the PSU circuit diagram in the Service Manual (a rather wonderful document that I hadn’t come across until this weekend - I wish there was something like this for the 32bit machines - the TRMs are rather terse by comparison) that shows a Zener diode regulator on the +5v output - so, I can relax!
The +5V rail is actually regulated via a voltage reference chip with open collector type output. Why the original company decided to draw it like a Zener diode I don't know :roll:
It controls a feedback system that links to the primary side control circuits.

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

User avatar
tricky
Posts: 2452
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:25 am
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by tricky » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:59 pm

A cheap Altera programmer knock-off for reprogramming my NuLA.
A big box of controllers to repair!

User avatar
JudgeBeeb
Posts: 669
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by JudgeBeeb » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:48 am

...For my birthday from Mrs lazarusr

Not 8-bit (indeed, technically, no bits all). But I suspect likely to be appreciated by one or two folk on the forum.
IMG_0330.jpg

mattdy4
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:18 am
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by mattdy4 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:57 am

A nice working A3020. AGB22. Ex-council machine
Attachments
20180406_081132.jpg
20180406_080753.jpg

User avatar
flaxcottage
Posts: 3066
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:46 pm
Location: Derbyshire
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by flaxcottage » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:16 am

Nice machine. :D
- John

Why do I keep collecting Acorn gear? I'm going to need a considerably bigger man-cave. :?

User avatar
1024MAK
Posts: 7419
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:46 pm
Location: Looking forward to summer in Somerset, UK...
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by 1024MAK » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:25 am

lazarusr wrote:...For my birthday from Mrs lazarusr

Not 8-bit (indeed, technically, no bits all). But I suspect likely to be appreciated by one or two folk on the forum.

IMG_0330.jpg
Appreciated as long as we're not just Trekkies :lol:

Fire all phasers...

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

VincentVega
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by VincentVega » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:55 pm

On Thursday, I received a BBC B+ (the 64K variant). Unfortunately I can't take any photos as the case and key tops are in the bath waiting to be cleaned and the rest of it is strewn around the upstairs of the house. It's rather dirty, unfortunately and the keystrip is is cracked.

This Beeb proved quite difficult to take apart - the motherboard was very reluctant to come out of the case and the removal of the keycaps took a fair bit of effort. I think I need to invest in one of those key puller things.

User avatar
flaxcottage
Posts: 3066
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:46 pm
Location: Derbyshire
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by flaxcottage » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:36 pm

An allotment.

It is really Mrs FlaxCottage's allotment but she lets me go on it to have bonfires. :lol:

We are looking forward to growing lots of our own vegetables. Yummy yummy.
- John

Why do I keep collecting Acorn gear? I'm going to need a considerably bigger man-cave. :?

User avatar
daveejhitchins
Posts: 4143
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:23 pm
Location: Newton Aycliffe, County Durham
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by daveejhitchins » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:07 am

flaxcottage wrote:We are looking forward to growing lots of our own vegetables. Yummy yummy.
Hmmmm! Are you taking orders? :- :lol:

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

User avatar
b_b_c_m_i_c_r_o_2
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by b_b_c_m_i_c_r_o_2 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:14 pm

Lardo Boffin wrote:A little book:-

Already back in it’s Jiffy bag and on its way to be scanned.
Trouble in paradise is around here somewhere.

Commie_User
Posts: 1082
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:50 am
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by Commie_User » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:44 am

A totally unexpected cheap laptop from Cash Plus. It's the silver one with 4 gigs RAM and Intel 64 bit processor for £59.

The black one cost double from them last year and that's only a bit faster, with a 2.4 gig CPU. Both were pretty nice bargains considering the same specs sell for roughly double with other brands there.
Attachments
2.jpg
1.jpg

Coeus
Posts: 777
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:05 am
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by Coeus » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:24 am

Well, late yesterday actually, a BeebSCSI mini - thanks Jason (flynnjs) for this implementation and Simon for the design.

User avatar
b_b_c_m_i_c_r_o_2
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by b_b_c_m_i_c_r_o_2 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:52 pm

b_b_c_m_i_c_r_o_2 wrote:
Lardo Boffin wrote:A little book:-

Already back in it’s Jiffy bag and on its way to be scanned.
Trouble in paradise is around here somewhere.
attached
Attachments
troubleinparadise.zip
(615.75 KiB) Downloaded 15 times

cmorley
Posts: 459
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:11 pm
Location: Oxford
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by cmorley » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:37 am

An issue 1 B+. Working but I will recap the PSU anyway.
Photo1299.jpg
Now I have an Elk & plus 1 (untested), (many) B, B+, Master Turbo. Time to sell some stuff to make space & pay for this!

User avatar
lcww1
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:16 pm
Location: East of the Sun and West of the Moon
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by lcww1 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:09 pm

A bumper crop today!
44765554-2166-4B09-9227-E0453ADBAAD7.jpeg
Bits and pieces
BeebSCSI (thanks flynnjs!); myelin’s Econet hub pcb (thanks myelin!); a Gotek for FlashFloppy; some random Hampshire County Council skeletal anatomy RiscOS Draw files!

User avatar
flaxcottage
Posts: 3066
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:46 pm
Location: Derbyshire
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by flaxcottage » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:43 am

A call from the Asian branch of the BT Technical Department! #-o

My BT Account is downloading viruses and malware. :lol: This makes a change from my computer is downloading viruses.

When asked to pass the security questions they hung up. I wonder why? [-X [-X [-X
- John

Why do I keep collecting Acorn gear? I'm going to need a considerably bigger man-cave. :?

mattdy4
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:18 am
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by mattdy4 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:20 pm

An "untested" BBC Model B Issue 2 with Sideways ROM (+RAM?) Board. New to 8-bit so once I've got time this is my next project. First to check out the ROMs and replace the PSU / caps. Also got an EEPROM programmer with it and a few other unknown pieces
Attachments
20180413_121731.jpg
20180413_122445.jpg

User avatar
tricky
Posts: 2452
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:25 am
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by tricky » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:33 pm

I see you have the MkII ashtray cover ;)

Post Reply