Today I received.....

on-topic Acorn-related news and discussions not covered by the other forums
retroclinic

Re: Today I recieved.....

Post by retroclinic » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:39 pm

I make the boards in batches of 8, so I'll probably do one run of internal kits for those that really want them. The price will probably be about £5-£10 more than on the website though, as the cost of the components and the PCBs has gone up since the last batch, but I'll have to work that out once I order the parts. I'll try and keep the cost of the external kit under £100 though.

The advantage of the external is it's portability, and it has dual CF slots at the back, whereas on the internal one, you need to add the IDE/CF functinality yourself.

Mark.

CanonMan

Post by CanonMan » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:58 pm

retroclinic wrote:I make the boards in batches of 8, so I'll probably do one run of internal kits for those that really want them. The price will probably be about £5-£10 more than on the website though, as the cost of the components and the PCBs has gone up since the last batch, but I'll have to work that out once I order the parts. I'll try and keep the cost of the external kit under £100 though.

The advantage of the external is it's portability, and it has dual CF slots at the back, whereas on the internal one, you need to add the IDE/CF functinality yourself.

Mark.
Thanks for clearing that up. I'd better start saving up :D

VincentVega

Post by VincentVega » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:38 pm

retroclinic wrote:I make the boards in batches of 8, so I'll probably do one run of internal kits for those that really want them. The price will probably be about £5-£10 more than on the website though, as the cost of the components and the PCBs has gone up since the last batch, but I'll have to work that out once I order the parts. I'll try and keep the cost of the external kit under £100 though.
If you could make some internal ones, that would be brilliant. Thanks for elaborating.
Is that just a question of buying an IDE->CF adapter, plus a card and plugging it in to the IDE socket? I've never used one of those adapters before - is there anything I should be looking out for when I buy one, or are they all equally capable (if that's the right word)?

retroclinic

Post by retroclinic » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:57 pm

VincentVega wrote:
retroclinic wrote:The advantage of the external is it's portability, and it has dual CF slots at the back, whereas on the internal one, you need to add the IDE/CF functinality yourself.
Is that just a question of buying an IDE->CF adapter, plus a card and plugging it in to the IDE socket? I've never used one of those adapters before - is there anything I should be looking out for when I buy one, or are they all equally capable (if that's the right word)?
Yes, plus you need a modified ADFS, so for the model B it's ADFS 1.33 or 1.32 in Sideways RAM, or 1.53 for the Master. You can also use my DualOS module, which gives modified ADFSs in both OS 3.20 and 3.50. There is also the activity LED on the header to be added, if you wanted it.

The CF adaptors are the regular 40 pin ones you can get on fleabay, yes. I use dual ones but single ones also work just as well.

Mark.

leenew

Post by leenew » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:00 am

Hi,
Just Won a fleabayed a Watford electronics 32k ram board for the beeb.
This is in anticipation of the datacentre. However, reading the manual, it says shadow ram not sideways. Have I purchased the wrong thing :o
Lee.

retroclinic

Post by retroclinic » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:10 am

In a nutshell...yes! Although that watford board is still useful.

The easiest way to give yourself 2 banks of SWR is to do this mod:

http://www.retroclinic.com/acorn/swr/swr.htm

Mark.

leenew

Post by leenew » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:09 pm

Oh dear! What's the Watford board used for then?
Also there is a 8x16k sideways ram board on flea bay for about £20. Would that work?
If not then I shall get the soldering iron out :D

danielj

Post by danielj » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm

leenew wrote:Oh dear! What's the Watford board used for then?
Also there is a 8x16k sideways ram board on flea bay for about £20. Would that work?
If not then I shall get the soldering iron out :D
Shadow ram. Pushes the screen memory into that extra memory so you basically have most of the 32k available for programmes. Same as the B+ and the M128 really...

d.

VincentVega

Post by VincentVega » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:41 pm

leenew wrote: Also there is a 8x16k sideways ram board on flea bay for about £20. Would that work?
The problem with that (as I see it) is that it takes up two ROM sockets. If you have BASIC + MOS + DFS and then want to add RAMFS for a DataCentre, you don't have enough room for that board as well.

Whilst I can solder (I managed to replace the PSU capacitors of my Beebs without killing myself or blowing them up - a major success in my eyes), I wouldn't feel confident cutting tracks and soldering to ICs on one my beloved Beebs to carry out the sideway RAM modification that Mark links to (though I suppose you could always use probes clipped on to the ICs instead of soldering).

On the postal front, today I received a 6-pin DIN plug.

leenew

Post by leenew » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:06 pm

Hi DanielJ,
Thanks for the info on Shadow Ram. I may keep the board?? not sure yet.... Trying to figure out if it is useful to ME??

Hi VincentVega,
Yep, That's how I feel regarding my beebs too. I don't fancy chopping and sawing unless I reeeeeeally have to.
I shall probably keep looking on eBay for a 1 socket sideways solution.
Can anyone recommend a good 'un??

Hmmm... 6 pin din plug.... Is my roll of solder less exciting? :lol:

TopBanana

Post by TopBanana » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:34 pm

VincentVega wrote:
Whilst I can solder (I managed to replace the PSU capacitors of my Beebs without killing myself or blowing them up - a major success in my eyes), I wouldn't feel confident cutting tracks and soldering to ICs on one my beloved Beebs to carry out the sideway RAM modification that Mark links to (though I suppose you could always use probes clipped on to the ICs instead of soldering).
That nice chap at Retroclinic did me a Beeb ages ago which has a CombiRom - 4 ROMS in a 27512 which has BASIC, RAMFS, ADT and smomething else I can't remember. I copied the ROM and managed to use probes in another machine to link it up without soldering and therefore can use the RAM boards which take up two sockets for loads of sideways RAM.

It's a bit of a spaghetti junction ......
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (171.6 KiB) Viewed 3021 times
.... and the picure doesn't show the ROM and board in situ, but it works well :D

The CombiRom is mounted in a turned pin socket and if I remember correctly you couldn't connect pin 27, but I can't be sure. Mark, when you read this, would you be kind enough to verify ?
Last edited by TopBanana on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

retroclinic

Post by retroclinic » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:52 pm

I've got no idea what's going on there! Is the ROM sitting ontop of the User VIA and connected to it's pins?

leenew

Post by leenew » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:17 pm

Oh My! :shock:
Mr Banana, I am not sure if that photo looks like a cyborgs brain, an actual motorway map of Birmingham, or a Jackson Pollock..... :D

Slo

Post by Slo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:37 pm

Looks more like one of those green boxes that bt workers spend a day entertaining

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:28 am

I think that "Combi-ROM" is flying without a licence! :lol:
It is clearly suffering from the classic symptoms of detachment! :cry: :lol:

Mark

TopBanana

Post by TopBanana » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:32 am

lol - it's definitely a load of Jackson Pollocks :shock:

I'm, going to have to take the lid off the machine to take a proper picture now aren't I ....... :?

VincentVega

Post by VincentVega » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:57 am

BeebMaster sells 16K and 32K sideways RAM:

http://www.beebshop.co.uk/Default.html#SRAM

martinw

Post by martinw » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:08 pm

Wow, it was like bleeding Christmas this morning when the postie arrived.

Thanks go out to .......

PaulV for some very well made Econet boxes and terminators :)
Mark at Retro Clinic for a very nice battery for my CMOS settings :)
Beebmaster for some Econet cables and an Econet master module (not working as yet, but I'm sure it's just finger trouble on my part) :)

But the mother of all presents from Ebay, please see below .......
Master 512.jpg
Master 512.jpg (145.39 KiB) Viewed 2920 times
A Master 512 80186 PCB :shock:

Also Dave Hitchin for the RB2 that I bought a while back "just for kicks" and it now comes into its own for using with GEMS.
Master 512 RB2.jpg
Master 512 RB2.jpg (137.02 KiB) Viewed 2920 times
I love it when a plan comes together =D> 8) :D

Martin

P.S. I apologise if I was bidding on EBay against anyone on here for the 80186 board :-

leenew

Post by leenew » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:31 pm

Cheers Mr. Vega for the heads up about beeb master.
Will order one tonight. :D I have a feeling that a Watford electronics 32k shadow ram board will appear on Ebay tonight......

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:36 pm

@martinw =P~ =P~ =P~

On Friday, I received a Sprow ARM7 internal coprocessor board for one of my Masters 8) :D
I hope to receive the other bits I ordered from him soon...

Now all I have to do is to find time to fit it and have a play :wink:

Mark

martinw

Post by martinw » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:02 pm

1024MAK wrote:@martinw =P~ =P~ =P~

On Friday, I received a Sprow ARM7 internal coprocessor board for one of my Masters 8) :D
I hope to receive the other bits I ordered from him soon...

Now all I have to do is to find time to fit it and have a play :wink:

Mark
Do keep us informed of your progress, I was considering that one too, so many things to buy, so little time to use them :cry:

CanonMan

Post by CanonMan » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:51 pm

CanonMan wrote:Today I received this in the post: a part-built Chiptester project that I bought off eBay.

It comes with the software on floppy disk (fortunately the disk is still okay!) and a copy of the constructional articles from Practical Electronics.

Only cost me a couple of quid, and I can see myself actually using it, once I've finished building it :lol:

The only component I may struggle to find is the PCB-mounted rotary switch with DIL pins rather than in a circle. Anyone know if they're still available?
I've scanned the magazine article and imaged the floppy disk for this project. If anyone is interested, I'll start another thread about the project and make the files available :)

VincentVega

Post by VincentVega » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:20 pm

A Cherry keyboard and a 512 board? A rare beast indeed! I hope it's insured.

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:52 pm

CanonMan wrote:
CanonMan wrote:Today I received this in the post: a part-built Chiptester project that I bought off eBay.

It comes with the software on floppy disk (fortunately the disk is still okay!) and a copy of the constructional articles from Practical Electronics.

Only cost me a couple of quid, and I can see myself actually using it, once I've finished building it :lol:

The only component I may struggle to find is the PCB-mounted rotary switch with DIL pins rather than in a circle. Anyone know if they're still available?
I've scanned the magazine article and imaged the floppy disk for this project. If anyone is interested, I'll start another thread about the project and make the files available :)
Please do.
I also have a nearly finished chip tester project somewhere, but not for the Beeb. The one I have is based on a PIC microcontroller and a PC.

Mark

CanonMan

Post by CanonMan » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:30 pm

1024MAK wrote:Please do.
I also have a nearly finished chip tester project somewhere, but not for the Beeb. The one I have is based on a PIC microcontroller and a PC.

Mark
Will do :D

Is your chip tester the one that was in EPE Magazine a few years back? Designed by Joe Farr, IIRC.

aerworuld

Post by aerworuld » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:32 pm

... A bundle of wonderful Elk items from eBay! There's an Elk, Plus 1, Voltmace joustick, a First Byte interface which I think must be a printer interface, three ROMs: View, Viewsheet and Countdown to Doom. Also a whole bunch of software on cassette!

I was looking for View on ROM you see... All this came bundled with it... A very bargain price!

Wife to be convinced I think... ;)
Attachments
Elk_bundle.jpg
Elk_bundle.jpg (41.62 KiB) Viewed 2808 times

CanonMan

Post by CanonMan » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:40 pm

aerworuld wrote:a First Byte interface which I think must be a printer interface
It's a an interface for digital (i.e. Atari, Commodore etc) joysticks. Quite a lot of Electron games supported it so it's a useful bit of kit.

aerworuld

Post by aerworuld » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:21 pm

CanonMan wrote:
aerworuld wrote:a First Byte interface which I think must be a printer interface
It's a an interface for digital (i.e. Atari, Commodore etc) joysticks. Quite a lot of Electron games supported it so it's a useful bit of kit.

Nice one! Its got a ribbon cable coming out the back with a wide printer like connector though? (That's what confused me) #-o

CanonMan

Post by CanonMan » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:41 pm

aerworuld wrote:
CanonMan wrote:

Nice one! Its got a ribbon cable coming out the back with a wide printer like connector though? (That's what confused me) #-o
Photos please!

aerworuld

Post by aerworuld » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:15 pm

Photo as requested (First Byte)
Attachments
IMG-20121010-00174.jpg
IMG-20121010-00174.jpg (606.54 KiB) Viewed 2783 times