Electron Plus 3 and plus 1, AP6 and Home made MMFS PP SD interface
Electron Plus 1 Pres AP3/4 with drive
Beeb issue 7 with IFEL 16 socket Rom/Ram board, IFEL SD card, Floppy interface
Master 128, BooBip multi OS,IFEL SD card
StrongA RPC, A3020

geraldholdsworth

Re: Today I received.....

Post by geraldholdsworth » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:33 pm

Amongst other things, a Kramer VP-728 switcher/scaler. Now, I wonder what can I use this for... :D
KR-VP728.JPG
Stock photo...not actual item

Other stuff I got, if you are interested, is a Polycom HDX8000 VC system (with camera and microphone, but no cables, as yet), an Australian Monitor AMX-120 6 channel mixer/amplifier, an IndigoVision NVR-AS3000 network video recorder (but no receivers/transmitters, as yet), a Phonic PPC-8000E (mains distribution unit...could come it useful), a couple of Sony VC cameras, an AMX TPI-PRO-2-DVI, an AMX NI-3100 master controller, and another ELO touchscreen (with DVI input this time). Oh, and a couple of PCs.
Gerald Holdsworth
Repton Resource Page
www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk

Remklep

Post by Remklep » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:13 pm

I have had the Elite poster for about a week, the frame was delivered today.
The limited edition retro games stamp collection was a surprise gift from a friend, also arrived today.
IMG_5779.JPG
IMG_5780.JPG
IMG_5781.JPG
BBC Model B+ 64K, 128K Memory Mod, RetroClinic External PiDirect with Raspberry Pi 3B.
BBC Master 128, RetroClinic Internal PiDirect with Raspberry Zero, TurboSPI MMC, RobC's VideoNuLa, Gotek Floppy Emulator.

Leew

Post by Leew » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:42 pm

... a Cumana tablet for the BBC Micro

So... no cables, no instructions, but the cassette loads a graphics program so that works. Basically no idea where to start with this. Google isn't giving my anything either.

Lots of questions to answer including how to connect to Beeb from the 8pin DIN socket on the back of the tablet. Is the missing stylus a specific type or will any stylus work (but thats getting ahead of myself).

I've found a few mentions of the tablet on this forum but not much. Anyone any ideas?

IMG_20200129_172655.jpg
Lee W
------------
Proud owner of many Electrons, some Beebs, a couple of Archies, some Commodore 64s, Amigas, Atari STs and an Atari Falcon 030
Lemmings are for life, not just the 90's... https://www.lemmingsworld.me

RobC

Post by RobC » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:56 pm

Leew wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:42 pm

So... no cables, no instructions, but the cassette loads a graphics program so that works. Basically no idea where to start with this. Google isn't giving my anything either.

Lots of questions to answer including how to connect to Beeb from the 8pin DIN socket on the back of the tablet. Is the missing stylus a specific type or will any stylus work (but thats getting ahead of myself).

I've found a few mentions of the tablet on this forum but not much. Anyone any ideas?

IMG_20200129_172655.jpg
I have a couple of these - the 8-pin connector goes to the Beeb's serial port and aux power output. I can buzz out the connections if no-one else has the wiring details to hand.

Any stylus should do - from memory, the original is just made of black nylon (or something similar).

stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:58 pm

The wrong X2/Y2 capacitors for a Mac Plus analogue board due to the information on the 'Net being wrong.

The 0.47uF X2 had the wrong lead spacing.
The 0.047uF Y2 caps should have been 4700pF.

Darn!

You should never believe what you read on-line. :-)

Leew

Post by Leew » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:28 am

RobC wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:56 pm
Leew wrote:

IMG_20200129_172655.jpg
I have a couple of these - the 8-pin connector goes to the Beeb's serial port and aux power output. I can buzz out the connections if no-one else has the wiring details to hand.

Any stylus should do - from memory, the original is just made of black nylon (or something similar).
Much appreciated RobC.

Thanks, that will be very useful.

In the meantime I'll source some DIN plugs from eBay and Mark at Retroclinic used to stock aux power plugs. I'll drop him an email see if he still has any.

Cheers
Lee
Lee W
------------
Proud owner of many Electrons, some Beebs, a couple of Archies, some Commodore 64s, Amigas, Atari STs and an Atari Falcon 030
Lemmings are for life, not just the 90's... https://www.lemmingsworld.me

Boydie

Post by Boydie » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:41 am

Leew wrote:

I’ll scan the “manual” and upload to the archive section. I’ll warn you now; you’re in for a disappointment - it’s not going to take me long to do...

Edit: I’ve found the real manual online, which is rather more substantial than the pamphlet I got with mine:

http://chrisacorns.computinghistory.org ... hPadUG.pdf

RobC

Post by RobC » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:22 pm

Boydie wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:41 am
Edit: I’ve found the real manual online, which is rather more substantial than the pamphlet I got with mine:

http://chrisacorns.computinghistory.org ... hPadUG.pdf
The pinout for the 8-pin DIN is actually at the end of that document. However, it lists -12V as one of the inputs so there's obviously a bit more going on in the power adapter than just connecting to the Beeb's aux power out.

Remklep

Post by Remklep » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:55 pm

Marcus was kind enough to sell me his Master 128, it arrived yesterday.
I didn't take a picture, but about 15 minutes after I unpacked it, it looked like this in preparation for an attempt to bring the color back to original:
IMG_5793.JPG
IMG_5794.JPG
Somehow I'm going to have to attempt to fit all this inside the case... :D
IMG_5795.JPG
BBC Model B+ 64K, 128K Memory Mod, RetroClinic External PiDirect with Raspberry Pi 3B.
BBC Master 128, RetroClinic Internal PiDirect with Raspberry Zero, TurboSPI MMC, RobC's VideoNuLa, Gotek Floppy Emulator.

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:00 pm

The Beeb does not have a -12V supply. It is likely that the -12V supply is used only for the serial communications. So it is possible that the Beeb’s-5V output is connected to this ‘-12V’ connection. However please note that this is all just speculation...

Mark

RobC

Post by RobC » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:14 pm

1024MAK wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:00 pm
The Beeb does not have a -12V supply. It is likely that the -12V supply is used only for the serial communications. So it is possible that the Beeb’s-5V output is connected to this ‘-12V’ connection. However please note that this is all just speculation...
I'll test it tonight to see what voltage is on that pin.

EDIT: Looks like it's just using the Beeb's -5V - the only voltages I could find on the 8-pin connector were +5V, +12V and -5V. I couldn't get a good look at the adapter's circuit board as I couldn't see an obvious way of opening it up. However, it looks like it just a simple pass-thru arrangement with no sign of anything that would convert voltages.

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:06 pm

Not so much 'Today I received as 'Today I re-discovered'...

The other day, I went searching my Master, and found it in the loft. When I opened it up, it didn't have a Co Pro in it, and I recalled having a Co Pro when I looked at it last. Anyway, putting that to one side, today I tried to power up this Master, and got a very quick flicker of one LED, and then nothing. This fault is the subject of another thread, but got me thinking I maybe have another Master with Co Pro installed, so I went on the search again found a pile of hardware and software that's been sat in the back my garage for years, and I had completely forgotten about!
20200201_204943.jpg
I've not actually opened up the Masters yet, but I am expecting to find a Co Pro in at least one of them.

Not photographed is a Cub monitor. This is on top of the many beebs that are already cluttering up my house. Wife will probably kill me when she comes home later on, and discovers even more beebs have found their way into the house!

Edit: So, one of these Masters does have a Co Pro. The PSU on the other looks to have a bit of liquid damage, so I'll need to investigate that further prior to power up. Otherwise, both look to be in reasonable nick:
20200201_211552.jpg

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:02 am

KenLowe wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:06 pm
Not so much 'Today I received as 'Today I re-discovered'...

The other day, I went searching my Master, and found it in the loft. When I opened it up, it didn't have a Co Pro in it, and I recalled having a Co Pro when I looked at it last. Anyway, putting that to one side, today I tried to power up this Master, and got a very quick flicker of one LED, and then nothing. This fault is the subject of another thread, but got me thinking I maybe have another Master with Co Pro installed, so I went on the search again found a pile of hardware and software that's been sat in the back my garage for years, and I had completely forgotten about!
Sod the Masters ( :oops: sorry) how could you leave two Electrons for so long? Tut tut . . . :lol: and with Plus 1s and - is that an AP3/4? Goodness . . .

Dave H :D

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:07 am

Yes, it's an AP3. Whatever one of those is!

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:09 am

KenLowe wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:07 am
Yes, it's an AP3. Whatever one of those is!
[-X :lol:

Dave H :D

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:35 pm

daveejhitchins wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:02 am
Sod the Masters ( :oops: sorry)
[-X come on Dave, they are great to fix Electron key switches =D> :D
ImageImageImage

IanB

Post by IanB » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:02 pm

Acorn System Econet and Teletext video reproduction PCBs:
system.jpg
Ohio Superboard II model 600D (with colour!) reproduction PCB:
sb2_600d.jpg
Ohio Superboard II model 610 disk and RAM add on reproduction PCB:
sb2_610d.jpg

marcusjambler

Post by marcusjambler » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:32 pm

A fine example of retro computing in the 90's :D
IMG_1296a.jpg
Nice surprise too... Flicker Free VGA board :D
IMG_1305a.jpg
Marcus

klintworth

Post by klintworth » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:15 am

Just arrived in Canada from half way around the world in New Zealand! Thank you, Richard, for spreading the Acorn love!
18FE62ED-FA4D-4344-AF5D-2A66081D9BC6.jpeg
BBC B Issue 4 & 7, BBC B (USA), BBC Master, Electron, BBC Master Compact, Olivetti PC128S, Castle A7000+, A3020, Valiant Turtle (sans IR Communicator!)

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:34 am

Nice. They are getting to be collector's items. :lol:
- John

shawty

Post by shawty » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:05 am

kieranhj wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:23 pm
Maybe 2020 is the year of ‘next gen’...? :wink:
I actually remember having those books somewhere, goodness knows where they are now though :-(
Been around I.T. since the Beeb was born, maybe you've seen me around :D

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:48 pm

The Donation.jpg
I was contacted mid-January via the Educational Archive website by Bill Olivier, the designer and main developer of the CommunITel Viewdata system. Due to moving house and downsizing, he kindly offered his entire collection of BBC gear and software development materials shown in the photograph above to the Archive. This was most gratefully received.

The real treasure here is the mass of programming material relating to the Viewdata System. The released versions of the CommunITel systems were all compressed to remove redundant comments and spaces. Variable and procedure names were all truncated to two letter identifiers so that the software would run on BBC micros with Econet and DFS, where page was at &1B00 rather than &1900. The source files will improve understanding of how this software worked.

The numerous disks contain intermediate copies of the software from early stages in the development right up to the finalised version. They also contain versions of the software with comments and meaningful names. As well as this there are a number of folders of annotated program listings, hand written listings and hand written correspondence with the other developers. It also includes the file structure for the DFS version database, VWDB.

At the moment this material is being archived and catalogued. Thankfully the disks are mostly in good condition despite having been in a loft for 30+ years. The software collection should really be in a museum and it is hoped that the Centre for Computing History would be a good place for it.

The hardware included two BBC micros factory fitted with an 8271 DFS upgrade and an Econet upgrade, one an Issue 4 board and the other an Issue 7. Both power supplies had burst X2 capacitors. A full capacitor refurbishment of the power supplies was done and, thankfully, both computers beeped into life when switched on. In each the DFS and Econet were tested and found to be working. Both computers were also upgraded with Boobip EEPROM and SWR boards in order to increase their capabilities to act as archiving machines and for testing software on the Econet. One BBC micro had a BASIC 1 ROM inside, something I had not seen or used for 35 years!

Along with the Beebs were two dual 5.25" floppy drives. One, a Technomatic 40T/80T bridge drive, is a snug fit for the BBC micro. A Master will not fit under the bridge. The second floppy drive was a genuine, BBC badged, dual 80T, double-sided drive and powered by the BBC micro itself. I had never even seen one of these drives before now, let alone used one. After a good head clean both drives are now fully functional. As most of the floppy disks were 80T formatted it would be a reasonable assumption that this BBC drive was used to develop the CommunITel system.

There was also a 6502 Second Processor in a cheese-wedge box. This was found to be in full working order. Its use would be essential when developing the software before compressing. Compared to the 'Matchbox Copro' and the 'Pi Zero Copro' of today, this is a huge, bulky contraption and quite slow but it is kind of cute.

The Microvitec Cub monitor was a high resolution version. It was, however, non-functional. Investigation showed that the degaussing circuit was faulty, in particular the thermistor showed a short, and this caused one of the 2A internal mains fuses to blow. When the de-gaussing circuit was unplugged the monitor sprang into life with a decent picture for a while in MODE 7. Other MODEs showed that the horizontal scan was pulling, rippling and tearing so that the picture became unwatchable. Fixing this has gone onto my ever lengthening 'to-do list'.

The CommunITel MODEM is an original component and was actually used whilst developing the online aspects of the viewdata system. This has not been tested.

Another hardware component of interest was an Acorn Winchester. Unfortunately this was also non-working. The hard disc reported to ADFS that it had error 1C at 0/0000, which indicated that there was a serious disk fault or that the disk needed formatting. This unit is extremely noisy. It contains not only the full-height 5.25" hard disk drive but also a 250v cooling fan. The hard disk was a Seagate ST-412, a very early drive dating from 1981 and with a capacity of 10Mb.

With Beebmaster's help the formatting software was obtained and a format of the drive was attempted. Unfortunately the program would get part way through the format and returned an error at the same place each time, leading to the conclusion that the disk was broken. It would be possible to obtain a replacement hard drive in order to preserve the device's pedigree but the life of the replacement could well be limited. It was, therefore, decided to update the Winchester by fitting an internal IDE interface, a prototype on an unpopulated Datacentre board, kindly supplied by Retroclinic. The Winchester still connects via the 1MHz bus and needs a modified ADFS (version 1.33 for the BBC micro or version 1.53 for the Master). One advantage of this upgrade is that the Winchester now stores up to 1Gb of data spread over two virtual hard drives. This Winchester is massive and will need a lot of desk space to be used. :shock:
- John

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:00 pm

^ :shock: =D>

bet you wish John the Hard Drive worked, that would of saved going through 10mb of 51/4" discs :-&

nice to be saved!! 8)
ImageImageImage

jimmydeath

Post by jimmydeath » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:50 pm

Ohio Superboard II model 600D (with colour!) reproduction PCB
Cool, where did the Ohio PCB's come from?

Regards

James

IanB

Post by IanB » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:07 pm

jimmydeath wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:50 pm
http://osiweb.org/osiforum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=528

jimmydeath

Post by jimmydeath » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:58 pm

IanB wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:07 pm
jimmydeath wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:50 pm
http://osiweb.org/osiforum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=528
Thanks

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:22 am

klintworth wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:15 am
Just arrived in Canada from half way around the world in New Zealand! Thank you, Richard, for spreading the Acorn love!
Glad to hear it arrived safe & sound. Hopefully not too much dust or cobwebs ... :oops:

klintworth

Post by klintworth » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:30 am

richardtoohey wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:22 am
Glad to hear it arrived safe & sound. Hopefully not too much dust or cobwebs ... :oops:

And it's working well - quality kit! =D> Paul
BBC B Issue 4 & 7, BBC B (USA), BBC Master, Electron, BBC Master Compact, Olivetti PC128S, Castle A7000+, A3020, Valiant Turtle (sans IR Communicator!)

Return to “general”