Today I received.....

on-topic acorn-related discussions not covered by the other forums
User avatar
tricky
Posts: 4231
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:25 am
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by tricky » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:45 pm

Stocking up for ABUG and other shows:
extra_pads_and_gun.jpg
There is another gun, still in the car - I guess I should write a light gun game! and work out the wiring!!

Does anyone know if the one with the Dragon on a dragon controller, or mega-drive?
Last edited by tricky on Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SpaceFlightOrange
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by SpaceFlightOrange » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:12 am

I posted a pic of mine and a friends retro kit on work's internal social network and somebody who is clearing out his dad's loft gave me this:
fullsizeoutput_1e1e.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1e21.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1e22.jpeg
IMG_0148.JPG
Sadly it doesn't appear to work. I haven't got a clue about servicing Spectrums. I did checkout the PSU first and the regulator in the machine is giving correct readings.

Even more curious was this from the same guy:
IMG_0139.JPG
IMG_0140.JPG
IMG_0141.JPG
He has no idea where it came from as neither he nor his brother owned a Beeb. It does work though.
I'd never heard of it, so had to look it up.
Last edited by SpaceFlightOrange on Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
James

BBC Model A Issue 3 (Upgraded to Model B, had it since I was a kid), Opus Dual 40/80 FDD, Watford Mouse, Voltmace delta 14/B, Gotek, IFEL ROMRAM-B4, Pi-Zero CoPro

Master 128, VideoNuLA, Gotek

User avatar
MartinB
Posts: 5285
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:04 pm
Location: Obscurity
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by MartinB » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:01 am

Looks like they copied this guy’s design...... [-X :- :D

SlowBox.pdf
(305.68 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

User avatar
SpaceFlightOrange
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by SpaceFlightOrange » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:17 am

MartinB wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:01 am
Looks like they copied this guy’s design...... [-X :- :D


SlowBox.pdf
:shock: That is so cool! =D>

I'm constantly in awe of the amazingly talented people on this forum...

You any good at fixing Spectrums? [-o< :lol:
Last edited by SpaceFlightOrange on Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
James

BBC Model A Issue 3 (Upgraded to Model B, had it since I was a kid), Opus Dual 40/80 FDD, Watford Mouse, Voltmace delta 14/B, Gotek, IFEL ROMRAM-B4, Pi-Zero CoPro

Master 128, VideoNuLA, Gotek

User avatar
SpaceFlightOrange
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by SpaceFlightOrange » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:20 am

tricky wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:45 pm
Does anyone know if the one with the Dragon on a dragon controller, or mega-drive?
What's the plug look like? if its a Din, then probably a Dragon. if a 9-pin D then no. Looks too modern to be a Dragon controller
Last edited by SpaceFlightOrange on Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
James

BBC Model A Issue 3 (Upgraded to Model B, had it since I was a kid), Opus Dual 40/80 FDD, Watford Mouse, Voltmace delta 14/B, Gotek, IFEL ROMRAM-B4, Pi-Zero CoPro

Master 128, VideoNuLA, Gotek

User avatar
marcusjambler
Posts: 767
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 12:20 pm
Location: Bradford
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by marcusjambler » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:29 am

You any good at fixing Spectrums?
I can fix spectrums... But they can be quite costly depending on whats wrong ( see keyboard membrane and ULA prices ).
I can also do the regulator and composite video mods :D

User avatar
MartinB
Posts: 5285
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:04 pm
Location: Obscurity
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by MartinB » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:21 am

James wrote:You any good at fixing Spectrums? [-o< :lol:

Yes, I could certainly ‘fix’ Spectrums - but not necessarily in a good way..... :twisted: :lol:

User avatar
SpaceFlightOrange
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by SpaceFlightOrange » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:58 am

MartinB wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:21 am
James wrote:You any good at fixing Spectrums? [-o< :lol:

Yes, I could certainly ‘fix’ Spectrums - but not necessarily in a good way..... :twisted: :lol:
Thanks, but I think I'll pass. :lol:
James

BBC Model A Issue 3 (Upgraded to Model B, had it since I was a kid), Opus Dual 40/80 FDD, Watford Mouse, Voltmace delta 14/B, Gotek, IFEL ROMRAM-B4, Pi-Zero CoPro

Master 128, VideoNuLA, Gotek

User avatar
1024MAK
Posts: 9904
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:46 pm
Location: Looking forward to summer in Somerset, UK...
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by 1024MAK » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:11 pm

SpaceFlightOrange wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:12 am
Sadly it doesn't appear to work. I haven't got a clue about servicing Spectrums. I did checkout the PSU first and the regulator in the machine is giving correct readings.
You may want to ask the person who goes by 1024MAK over on any of these forums https://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/, https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/forums/index.php, https://www.sinclairzxworld.com :wink:

If you want to talk about it on this site, I suggest you start a new thread over here.

Mark
Last edited by 1024MAK on Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SpaceFlightOrange
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by SpaceFlightOrange » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:51 pm

1024MAK wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:11 pm
SpaceFlightOrange wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:12 am
Sadly it doesn't appear to work. I haven't got a clue about servicing Spectrums. I did checkout the PSU first and the regulator in the machine is giving correct readings.
You may want to ask the person who goes by 1024MAK over on any of these forums https://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/, https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/forums/index.php, https://www.sinclairzxworld.com :wink:

If you want to talk about it on this site, I suggest you start a new thread over here.

Mark
Thanks Mark, I'll check them out.
James

BBC Model A Issue 3 (Upgraded to Model B, had it since I was a kid), Opus Dual 40/80 FDD, Watford Mouse, Voltmace delta 14/B, Gotek, IFEL ROMRAM-B4, Pi-Zero CoPro

Master 128, VideoNuLA, Gotek

User avatar
1024MAK
Posts: 9904
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:46 pm
Location: Looking forward to summer in Somerset, UK...
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by 1024MAK » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:01 pm

SpaceFlightOrange wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:51 pm
1024MAK wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:11 pm
You may want to ask the person who goes by 1024MAK over on any of these forums https://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/, https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/forums/index.php, https://www.sinclairzxworld.com :wink:

If you want to talk about it on this site, I suggest you start a new thread over here.

Mark
Thanks Mark, I'll check them out.
I don’t think the penny’s dropped yet :roll: #-o

User avatar
Elminster
Posts: 4055
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:09 am
Location: Essex, UK
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by Elminster » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:02 pm

1024MAK wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:01 pm
SpaceFlightOrange wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:51 pm
1024MAK wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:11 pm
You may want to ask the person who goes by 1024MAK over on any of these forums https://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/, https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/forums/index.php, https://www.sinclairzxworld.com :wink:

If you want to talk about it on this site, I suggest you start a new thread over here.

Mark
Thanks Mark, I'll check them out.
I don’t think the penny’s dropped yet :roll: #-o
I heard he is very dodgy anyway :evil: just as dodgy as me! :lol:
Last edited by 1024MAK on Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
1024MAK
Posts: 9904
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:46 pm
Location: Looking forward to summer in Somerset, UK...
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by 1024MAK » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:07 pm

Elminster wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:02 pm
I heard he is very dodgy anyway :evil: just as dodgy as me! :lol:
Absolutely :lol:

User avatar
Elminster
Posts: 4055
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:09 am
Location: Essex, UK
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by Elminster » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:28 pm

1024MAK wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:07 pm
Elminster wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:02 pm
I heard he is very dodgy anyway :evil: just as dodgy as me! :lol:
Absolutely :lol:
Hmmm. Think I have been hacked by dodgy people :wink:

User avatar
SpaceFlightOrange
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by SpaceFlightOrange » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:49 pm

1024MAK wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:01 pm

I don’t think the penny’s dropped yet :roll: #-o
Blimey! I’m not that daft! :-P

I meant I’ll check the forums out. :lol:
Last edited by SpaceFlightOrange on Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
James

BBC Model A Issue 3 (Upgraded to Model B, had it since I was a kid), Opus Dual 40/80 FDD, Watford Mouse, Voltmace delta 14/B, Gotek, IFEL ROMRAM-B4, Pi-Zero CoPro

Master 128, VideoNuLA, Gotek

User avatar
1024MAK
Posts: 9904
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:46 pm
Location: Looking forward to summer in Somerset, UK...
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by 1024MAK » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:04 pm

SpaceFlightOrange wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:49 pm
1024MAK wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:01 pm

I don’t think the penny’s dropped yet :roll: #-o
Blimey! I’m not that daft! :-P

I meant I’ll check the forums out. :lol:
Just...
Image
:lol:

User avatar
SpaceFlightOrange
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by SpaceFlightOrange » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:37 am

1024MAK wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:04 pm
SpaceFlightOrange wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:49 pm
1024MAK wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:01 pm

I don’t think the penny’s dropped yet :roll: #-o
Blimey! I’m not that daft! :-P

I meant I’ll check the forums out. :lol:
Just...
Image
:lol:
:lol:

Seriously, though, Mark.

Thank you so much for all the help you've given me on this and the other forum. I really do appreciate it.
James

BBC Model A Issue 3 (Upgraded to Model B, had it since I was a kid), Opus Dual 40/80 FDD, Watford Mouse, Voltmace delta 14/B, Gotek, IFEL ROMRAM-B4, Pi-Zero CoPro

Master 128, VideoNuLA, Gotek

User avatar
1024MAK
Posts: 9904
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:46 pm
Location: Looking forward to summer in Somerset, UK...
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by 1024MAK » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:32 am

SpaceFlightOrange wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:37 am
Seriously, though, Mark.

Thank you so much for all the help you've given me on this and the other forum. I really do appreciate it.
No problem, glad I could help :D

Mark

OneSwitch
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by OneSwitch » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:42 am

MartinB wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:01 am
Looks like they copied this guy’s design...... [-X :- :D


SlowBox.pdf
Much more likely the other way around.
article.jpg
Crash2100029.jpg
Slomo dates at least to early 1985. Brilliant thing. Wish it was something modern day computers and consoles offered.

User avatar
MartinB
Posts: 5285
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:04 pm
Location: Obscurity
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by MartinB » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:57 am

Heh heh, I was just kidding Barrie and if you recall, we discussed this many moons ago... 8) :wink:

User avatar
vanpeebles
Posts: 653
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:01 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by vanpeebles » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:50 am

tricky wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:45 pm
Stocking up for ABUG and other shows:
extra_pads_and_gun.jpg
There is another gun, still in the car - I guess I should write a light gun game! and work out the wiring!!

Does anyone know if the one with the Dragon on a dragon controller, or mega-drive?
It's a megadrive pad, I have a Dragon branded pad that I have had from new. I made a post about them on the forum somewhere, as the logo is the same as the old Dragon.

User avatar
kieranhj
Posts: 869
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:11 pm
Location: Farnham, Surrey, UK
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by kieranhj » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:24 pm

I couldn’t resist treating myself to something non-6502 based after finally securing a new job!
Attachments
29843ABD-EDF8-4F8B-AF8F-0B2E02C919FC.jpeg
Amiiiiiiga!
Last edited by kieranhj on Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

User avatar
flaxcottage
Posts: 4023
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:46 pm
Location: Derbyshire
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by flaxcottage » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:29 pm

kieranhj wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:24 pm
I couldn’t resist treated myself to something non-6502 based after finally securing a new job!
Well done. Hope you enjoy it - the new job I mean, obviously you'll enjoy the Amiga. :lol:
- John

Image

cmorley
Posts: 1237
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:11 pm
Location: Oxford
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by cmorley » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:23 pm

kieranhj wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:24 pm
I couldn’t resist treating myself to something non-6502 based after finally securing a new job!
Watch out for leaky capacitors in the A1200. If it hasn't been recapped recently do it ASAP before the rot sets in.

User avatar
tricky
Posts: 4231
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:25 am
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by tricky » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:33 pm

vanpeebles wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:50 am
tricky wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:45 pm
Stocking up for ABUG and other shows:
extra_pads_and_gun.jpg
There is another gun, still in the car - I guess I should write a light gun game! and work out the wiring!!

Does anyone know if the one with the Dragon on a dragon controller, or mega-drive?
It's a megadrive pad, I have a Dragon branded pad that I have had from new. I made a post about them on the forum somewhere, as the logo is the same as the old Dragon.
Thanks, I thought it would be, but it still seemed strange.

EDIT: Sorry I messed up the reply on my phone!
Last edited by tricky on Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
trixster
Posts: 1010
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 12:45 pm
Location: York
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by trixster » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:27 pm

kieranhj wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:24 pm
I couldn’t resist treating myself to something non-6502 based after finally securing a new job!
That's a lovely looking A1200. I bet that cost you a pretty penny. Does it come with any extra bits and bobs?

User avatar
kieranhj
Posts: 869
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:11 pm
Location: Farnham, Surrey, UK
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by kieranhj » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:35 pm

trixster wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:27 pm
That's a lovely looking A1200. I bet that cost you a pretty penny. Does it come with any extra bits and bobs?
Thanks, I’d say it was a fair market price, not a bargain but not a rip off. It is a lovely light shade although the accompanying tank mouse has a proper mahogany tan. :lol:

It’s got a couple of CF cards but no RAM expansion, which seems pretty essential for WHDLoad etc. All these versions of Workbench still quite mystifying to me. My A500+Gotek is simpler!!
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

cmorley
Posts: 1237
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:11 pm
Location: Oxford
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by cmorley » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:19 pm

kieranhj wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:35 pm
It’s got a couple of CF cards but no RAM expansion, which seems pretty essential for WHDLoad etc. All these versions of Workbench still quite mystifying to me. My A500+Gotek is simpler!!
Yes some fast RAM is essential for WHDload. Don't even bother trying to load WB 3.1.4 without some fast RAM. Get a CF to PCMCIA adapter because you can install fat95 & CFD and mount a fat32 formatted CF card as a hard disk - I bought the cheapest from eBay and it works just fine. If you get fast RAM then get a 4/8MB switchable one - the PCMCIA memory map window clashes address space. Sadly RAM is all lolprice because of the stupid connector. I might do RAM for the A1200 at some point if I can get the connectors at a reasonable price...

User avatar
trixster
Posts: 1010
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 12:45 pm
Location: York
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by trixster » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:55 pm

Edu Arana has sourced a supplier in Taiwan. He says the price is reasonable. I can post a photo of the contact details if you’re interested?

User avatar
trixster
Posts: 1010
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 12:45 pm
Location: York
Contact:

Re: Today I received.....

Post by trixster » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:59 pm

I got a Roland SC-55 yesterday for use with my dos pc and my X68000 :) midi sounds so good!
FD95D4C3-D1EE-4DF2-8A56-ED945BFA0E39.jpeg
Here’s a video to show how good X68000 Street Fighter 2 sounds :)

https://youtu.be/18dqNxfbTMM

Post Reply

Return to “general”