Best Basic Games

on-topic Acorn-related news and discussions not covered by the other forums
AndyF

Best Basic Games

Post by AndyF » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:20 pm

I was not sure if this should of gone into one of the other area's but they did not somehow quite seem to suit. If a kindly passing moderator want's to move it, I'm not fussed. :D

Anyway I was thinking, what are the best (written in Basic) 'B games ? Not just a sprinkling of adventure type games, anything really. I say Basic but a tiny snip or two to call a bit of code would be OK (drawing etc) as long as the core erm 'running' of the game remains in Basic. Commercial / Type-Ins / Home-Brew all fine. Commercial would be the likely first port of call though I guess.

Any thoughts / suggestions please ? =D>
Last edited by AndyF on Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

* NEW * The Jetset Willy and Manic Miner community :)

Adventure games ported across to the BBC (in progress) as soon as I can find some time!

FourthStone

Re: Best Basic Games

Post by FourthStone » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:50 pm

Fond memories of Hunchback and Catnap, both typed in from magazine listings. The game play was quite brutal but this also added to the resolve to conquer the game seeing as you'd taken the time to type it all in.

Taught me a lot about how to move things around the screen and I still muck around with code used for jump and moving similar to that used in Hunchback.

Not to mention all the debugging practice and the ability to change and add things, quite a sense of satisfaction and triggering an explosion of ideas of what might be possible...

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:43 am

Beebug had (at least!) a couple of good platformers ... I'll have to dig out my magazines (and will lose many hours reminiscing and going off in tangents!)

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:35 am

was fun - and even more so, as I recall, with a small tweak to the input routine so you could pre-select a turn.

Rich Talbot-Watkins

Post by Rich Talbot-Watkins » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:00 am

Plankwalk

All Basic apart from the monster logic. And it unironically remains one of my favourite games on the Beeb to this day!

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:39 pm

Thanks all so far, some interesting things to go and investigate. =D>

I was thinking along the lines of erm "other platforms" where say the first year of release, quite a few games were Basic (or Basic with a snip or three of small code routines) given the relative "newness" of the hardware. I realise that does not quite apply in the same case here but I think the general principle is not too far off.
Last edited by AndyF on Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

Adventure games ported across to the BBC (in progress) as soon as I can find some time!

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:28 pm

AndyF wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:20 pm
what are the best (written in Basic) 'B games ? Not just a sprinkling of adventure type games, anything really.
When you say "B games" do you mean games for the BBC Micro Model B?

AndyF wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:39 pm
I was thinking along the lines of erm "other platforms"
By "other platforms" do you mean non-Acorn machines?

AndyF wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:39 pm
where say the first year of release, quite a few games were Basic (or Basic with a snip or three of small code routines) given the relative "newness" of the hardware. I realise that does not quite apply in the same case here but I think the general principle is not too far off.
Not quite sure what you're trying to say there.

Anyway, at the risk of being irrelevant, Magic Dot is BASIC and very simple but also very playable:

And here's my inevitable mention of the classic L -- A Mathemagical Adventure (all BASIC, I think):

And then some bozo wrote Maze of Madness (BASIC plus a bit of machine code):

And I've always quite liked Catacastles:
:idea:

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:35 am

lurkio wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:28 pm
When you say "B games" do you mean games for the BBC Micro Model B?
Yes. Or possibly Electron. The reason I did not expand to say the B+ or M128 was simply figuring a year or two after release, 'games' would likely be in code rather than Basic.

lurkio wrote:
By "other platforms" do you mean non-Acorn machines?
Yes. The reasoning here is if you take a look at say the Spectrum early games (as in 1982 release along with the machine) although there are quite a few code games, there is also a relatively large amount of them written in Basic with or without a snippet of code, mainly as people "got to grips" with the machine. Hence me kind of thinking along the same lines for the 'B in 1981 and 1982. I should say years is not meant to be exclusive though, if there's a decent Basic game and it was written in 1987, so be it!

lurkio wrote:
Not quite sure what you're trying to say there.
I think I answered this in the middle quote now. I can try to explain a bit more if needed.

The links / games provided = Thank you! :D
Last edited by AndyF on Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

Rich Talbot-Watkins

Post by Rich Talbot-Watkins » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:11 am

I think the Beeb 'suffered' this more than most other platforms though, because BBC BASIC was so much faster and better than BASICs on other machines. I'd be incredibly surprised, for example, to find commercial games written in BASIC on the Spectrum beyond the first few months of its release, because Sinclair BASIC was slow and awful, and wouldn't lend itself to anything but the most slow-paced of games.

I think nearly the entire back catalogue of MRM Software was mostly BASIC (with a smidge of machine code). And many years further into the Beeb's lifetime, BASIC was often used as the central core of many games. I think most of Peter Johnson's games (e.g. Yie-Ar Kung Fu, Space Pilot) have a BASIC program at their heart.

RobC

Post by RobC » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:37 am

I spent a fair bit of time playing a football manager game that I typed in from the Micro User.

This would have been 87/88ish as it was before I got a Master. When I got a Master, I started modifying it to show match highlights (like Football manager but in mode 2) using the sprite ROM but never finished it.

I think I even had the original version running on my A3000 at one point!

fwibbler

Post by fwibbler » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:08 pm

I always liked (and still like) the piracy game 'Plunder' by CCS.

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:40 pm

fwibbler wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:08 pm
I always liked (and still like) the piracy game 'Plunder' by CCS.
That looks quite fun :mrgreen: Enough for me to make a quick combi pic of the loading screen and initial starting point.
plunder.png
I must seek out some instructions for it though! :oops:
Last edited by AndyF on Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

joachim

Post by joachim » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:07 am

Manic Mole is one of the first BBC/Electron games I ever had so I could be biased, but it's an all-Basic platformer that runs very nicely. Possibly the only game that manages to run at a playable speed in VDU 5 mode …