Electron Forever E-Magazine Issue 1

on-topic Acorn-related news and discussions not covered by the other forums
uniforix

Electron Forever E-Magazine Issue 1

Post by uniforix » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:20 pm

Hello everyone

Last night I pushed out Electron Forever Magazine Issue 1, a homage to Electron User to Twitter and Facebook, so far around 250 downloads have been seen, hope you get chance to take a look! If Dave Hitchins is reading, please let me know if you are still doing the Retro cart and if so what contact details would be preferred if the ad is included again :-)

Please note, for Issue 2 I would welcome any and all contributions, memories of the Elk, current projects/games/hardware details, anyone who wants to write for it, 10 liners etc. etc. any contributions whatsoever would be gratefully received.

You can download Issue 1 here: https://www.electronforever.co.uk/

Enjoy!

Many thanks

Anthony.
ElectronForeverIssue1Cover.png
Cover image of issue one, available for download at www.electronforever.co.uk
---

Electron Forever
www.electronforever.co.uk

roland

Re: Electron Forever E-Magazine Issue 1

Post by roland » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:35 pm

That magazine looks very profesional. I hope that the Electron community provides a lot of input for it. Well done =D>
256K + 6502 Inside
MAN WOMAN :shock:

davidb

Post by davidb » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:29 pm

Sorry, I meant to reply earlier! :oops:

It looks good for a first issue. :) Very promising indeed.

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:17 pm

=D> =D> =D>
Attachments
for1.jpg
pg12
ImageImageImage

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:30 pm

Good work Tony!

Electron User is my fave magazine of all time and I'm so happy to see the new eMag in the same style and spirit of the original!

Good luck!!
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

ABug SOUTH (Hampshire) (1-3 June 2018)

Commie_User

Post by Commie_User » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:26 pm

Nice fanzine. I always loved Arcadians and it was easily up there with the C64 version of Galaxy for keeping me occupied for hours years ago, or the stellar Atari 2600 version of Phoenix. And that was even with the Electron's handicap of having no joystick port.

I think there's a suggestion for a future issue - pondering that the machine was the home gaming version of the BBC, yet had no joystick on the base unit and lacked some of the BBC's glossiest features. The Spectrum could get away with being so cut down but Acorn couldn't, if only for product delays. And yet, marvels like Last Ninja were teased from the machine.

uniforix

Post by uniforix » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:30 am

Thanks everyone, feedback has been very positive, from Acorn and non-Acorn users alike, will keep you all posted on when a 2nd issue is on its way.

Had just over 700 downloads so far.

Love to receive any contributions, if even you have old content laying around that could be given a new lease of life, memories, code snippets, hints and tips, tutorials, details of new hardware etc. all those kind of things ;-)

Regards

Anthony.
---

Electron Forever

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:21 am

Well, I'm loving it . . . Who could ask for more . . .

Took ages to download (for whatever reason) but well worth the wait - still reading it . . .

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:29 am

daveejhitchins wrote:Well, I'm loving it . . . Who could ask for more . . .

Took ages to download (for whatever reason) but well worth the wait - still reading it . . .
Slow for me to downlaod as well.

The good thing about a magazine is it condenses all the good stuff into one place. i.e. like someone doing the hardwork of finding all the interesting bits and pieces in the forum and condensing into one easy to digest magazine.

Are there plans to just stay electron forever? i.e. a BBC Micro forever. Or an Electron and BBC Micro Forever.?

Commie_User

Post by Commie_User » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:00 pm

Elminster wrote: The good thing about a magazine is it condenses all the good stuff into one place. i.e. like someone doing the hardwork of finding all the interesting bits and pieces in the forum and condensing into one easy to digest magazine.
Perhaps he could have a section, Pick Of The Forum or something, where he grabs the better talking points on here and runs away with them himself. Who knows what new nuggets can be unearthed.

uniforix

Post by uniforix » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:20 pm

daveejhitchins wrote:Well, I'm loving it . . . Who could ask for more . . .

Dave H :D
Thanks Dave, glad you are enjoying it :-). Already thinking about issue 2, Stuart told me he'd been in touch ;-)
---

Electron Forever

uniforix

Post by uniforix » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:23 pm

Thanks for downloading!

Most of the PDF is vector graphics apart from screenshots which are quite large, due to bitmap use it comes to about 18Mb in size, hence the slow download, especially if you use a data connection. Not the biggest though, I have downloaded some. e-mags that are >100Mb :-P

Future low-res versions could be an option.

Not adversel to a BBC Forever, but I don't have a BBC, so content contributions forthcoming would be happy to include.
Last edited by uniforix on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---

Electron Forever

uniforix

Post by uniforix » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:36 pm

Commie_User wrote:
Elminster wrote: The good thing about a magazine is it condenses all the good stuff into one place. i.e. like someone doing the hardwork of finding all the interesting bits and pieces in the forum and condensing into one easy to digest magazine.
Perhaps he could have a section, Pick Of The Forum or something, where he grabs the better talking points on here and runs away with them himself. Who knows what new nuggets can be unearthed.
Great idea, will try and get time to have a look around more and take that on board :-)
---

Electron Forever

uniforix

Post by uniforix » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:39 pm

Had a spare 30-40 mins earlier to think about the next cover, here's a quick but by no means complete cover :D
IMG_20180423_213809.jpg
---

Electron Forever

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:41 pm

uniforix wrote:Thanks for downloading!

Most of the PDF is vector graphics apart from screenshots which are quite large, due to bitmap use it comes to about 18Mb in size, hence the slow download, especially if you use a data connection. Not the biggest though, I have downloaded some. e-mags that are >100Mb :-P

Future low-res versions could be an option.
No I think it was something wrong with the actual download speed, where abouts in the pipe I didnt check, but no slowness when doing other stuff). I have 70 Mb/s (bits not bytes) connection so it should have downloaded it in (assuming 18 mega byes and not bits) half dozen seconds or so, and it took minutes. I just put it down to one of those things, but if Dave had same issue as well......
Not adversel to a BBC Forever, but I don't have a BBC, so contributions forthcoming would be happy to include.
Just wondered if it might help contributions, if people could submit for either machine (I am not volunteering though :) )

Edit: corrected a few typos
Last edited by Elminster on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uniforix

Post by uniforix » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:47 pm

Could just be my hosting account in that case, may push the file to a Content Delivery network, thanks for letting me know :-)

Any contributions are definitely welcome, just email submissions@electronforever.co.uk :)
---

Electron Forever

uniforix

Post by uniforix » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:51 pm

Btw, would definitely invite 10 liners :-) may even do a competition for submissions if people want to start thinking about them :)
---

Electron Forever