New look Repton Resource Page

on-topic Acorn-related news and discussions not covered by the other forums
geraldholdsworth

New look Repton Resource Page

Post by geraldholdsworth » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:56 pm

Hi all,

I've just made live the new look, revamped and completely re-written Repton Resource Page.

It was written in conjunction with Superior Interactive's Richard Hanson (OK, he suggested changes and helped by supplying me with various information and data) and features full-size maps of (almost) every level for all official Superior Repton levels, including Repton The Lost Realms, that have been released so far. Each level is now tailored for the platform selected...e.g. the Electron Repton levels will show the Electron graphics while the PC Repton levels will show the PC graphics, and so on.

In addition to the official Repton levels, I have also included A&B computing's Ripton, Harry Wood's PC conversion of Repton 3, and Bonecruncher (for all three platforms)...thank you to sbadger for the Amiga graphics. Incidentally, if anyone has any walkthroughs for Bonecruncher,I would be very interested in hearing from you.

All maps are presented zoomed as "fit to screen". Controls are available to zoom in/out or to 100%. The map can be clicked and panned around (or using touch and panning on a phone/tablet). There is no limit to how big or how small the map can be zoomed, currently.

Not all levels include a walkthrough, as Michael S. Repton has been very busy of late on other projects. If anyone has written any walkthroughs for those missing then, again, I would be very interested in hearing from you.

One thing to note is that it is heavily Javascript based. I will be, however, working on a version that works without the need for Javascript (for Netsurf, for example).

Comments are welcome in this thread, or via a PM, or via email through the website.

Gerald.
Gerald Holdsworth
Repton Resource Page
www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk

Kecske Bak

Re: New look Repton Resource Page

Post by Kecske Bak » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:59 pm

I've just had a look around - I really like the new improvements and it was lovely to see the Archimedes Repton 2 screens again after so long. Although not perfect (the design of the expanded sections are often out of character with respect to the levels they expand), I far preferred this expansion of the game to the additional screens in the PC version Repton 2.

The first comment I have is for Archimedes Repton 2 - the screens are often very different to the BBC Micro/Electron version of Repton 2 so the progress check and walkthroughs do not apply to most of the screens.

Secondly, it might be nice to add a link to Linton - this is a lovely little game based on Repton 3:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=29694

vanekp

Post by vanekp » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:47 pm

Looks very good indeed, always been one of my favorite for Repton info and getting a lot better with all the improvements you have made to it recently.
Thanks Peter.

vanekp

Post by vanekp » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:47 am

Question how does one apply the patch to EGO - Repton 4?
There is a file RepPatch,ffb but not knowing much about the Archimedes have no idea how to apply this patch.
Peter.

geraldholdsworth

Post by geraldholdsworth » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:06 pm

Kecske Bak wrote:I've just had a look around - I really like the new improvements
Thank you. I think the wider window does something for it.
Kecske Bak wrote:The first comment I have is for Archimedes Repton 2 - the screens are often very different to the BBC Micro/Electron version of Repton 2 so the progress check and walkthroughs do not apply to most of the screens.
Yep - the walkthroughs are all based on the BBC version of the game, and have just been copied across to the other platforms. It's one of the (very big) jobs I need to do is make each walkthrough relevant to the platform.[/quote]
Kecske Bak wrote:Secondly, it might be nice to add a link to Linton - this is a lovely little game based on Repton 3:
Sounds like a good idea to me.
Gerald Holdsworth
Repton Resource Page

geraldholdsworth

Post by geraldholdsworth » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:14 pm

vanekp wrote:Question how does one apply the patch to EGO - Repton 4?
There is a file RepPatch,ffb but not knowing much about the Archimedes have no idea how to apply this patch.
Hi Peter,
The RepPatch,ffb file is a BBC Basic file, which needs to be run under RISC OS. It looks for the EGO Repton 4 disc in drive 0 (or the Archimedes Repton 3 disc).
Gerald.
Gerald Holdsworth
Repton Resource Page

geraldholdsworth

Post by geraldholdsworth » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:16 pm

Latest update on the page is the walkthrough, provided by rok, for Bonecruncher.
Gerald Holdsworth
Repton Resource Page

vanekp

Post by vanekp » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:17 pm

all very well but how do I get the basic program file onto a disc image as the Arc ADFS is different to BBC ADFS?
ahhh worked it out if you put the file in the FS DIR you can the run it from there "This is the ArculFS directory. Place files here for them to appear in the ArculFS filesystem"
Peter.