Adventures for your BBC micro BOOK on eBay

on-topic Acorn-related news and discussions not covered by the other forums
BigEd

Re: Adventures for your BBC micro BOOK on eBay

Post by BigEd » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:33 am

I ought really to do a test, but I would think it could be.

dv8

Post by dv8 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:49 am

lurkio wrote:Is the "B&W" version better for OCRing than the "text" version is?
Sometimes it can be, but in this case no. I had to adjust the contrast of the B+W version before the quality of the OCR got close to the text version.

And please don't use JPEG, it will introduce artifacts that increases the risk of errors.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:56 am

dv8 wrote:
lurkio wrote:Is the "B&W" version better for OCRing than the "text" version is?
Sometimes it can be, but in this case no. I had to adjust the contrast of the B+W version before the quality of the OCR got close to the text version.

And please don't use JPEG, it will introduce artifacts that increases the risk of errors.
So, for the best OCR, I should use 600dpi, "text" mode, and TIFF. Right?

:?:

dv8

Post by dv8 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:06 pm

lurkio wrote:So, for the best OCR, I should use 600dpi, "text" mode, and TIFF. Right?
300dpi text should be enough. I didn't see much (if any) improvement with 600.
Definitely a lossless format like TIFF or PNG.
And, if you can, adjust the threshold so the grey texture of the paper is seen as white.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:49 pm

dv8 wrote:The 300dpi text setting should be good enough, but it's introducing a bit too much noise into the image (the worst of it is around lines 310 and 320).
I think the reason for that is that the paper's very thin, and there's a dark (solid black) horizontal illustration at the bottom of the reverse of the page, just around where those lines happen to fall!

I'll check my scanner settings/options a bit later.

:idea:

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:07 pm

dv8 wrote:And, if you can, adjust the threshold so the grey texture of the paper is seen as white.
Holy smoke! I found the setting, and changing it does seem to make a difference:
  • test300dpi+thresh.tiff
    test300dpi+thresh.tiff (128.28 KiB) Viewed 418 times
  • test300dpi++thresh.tiff
    test300dpi++thresh.tiff (126.31 KiB) Viewed 418 times

paulv

Post by paulv » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:07 pm

To improve scanning I always find that having a thick black sheet of paper behind the page to be scanned improves the quality of the scan. It seems to improve the contrast of the page greatly. Some scanners these days ship with black background on the inside of the lid rather than the shiny white background for this very reason. It's worth a try if your scanner has a white background.

Paul

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:15 pm

paulv wrote:To improve scanning I always find that having a thick black sheet of paper behind the page to be scanned improves the quality of the scan. It seems to improve the contrast of the page greatly. Some scanners these days ship with black background on the inside of the lid rather than the shiny white background for this very reason. It's worth a try if your scanner has a white background.
Not sure that's relevant if I'm scanning a book, though..?:
  • image.jpeg

paulv

Post by paulv » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:24 pm

It's very relevant. Putting a black sheet between the page you're scanning and the next page stops the light passing through which when it does you end up with the text on the back of the page or the subsequent page showing through on the scan...

The background colour on the back of the lid is only relevant when scanning single sheets. Black is superior to white when scanning stuff like this, trust me.

Paul

iamaran

Post by iamaran » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:58 pm

paulv wrote:It's very relevant.
Absolutely. From my admittedly limited experience it can make a perceptible difference, especially when the paper is like Izal.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:19 am

I hear you, I hear you.

But can someone who knows what they're doing just let me know whether the scans I posted above are any good for OCRing?

dv8

Post by dv8 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:24 am

lurkio wrote:Holy smoke! I found the setting, and changing it does seem to make a difference
Yes, that does make a big difference. All the areas that were a problem before are now fixed with these files.

The first file (test300dpi+thresh.tiff) worked a bit better than the second (++) version.

I'd be happy to do the OCRing based on these settings.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:31 pm

dv8 wrote:... I'd be happy to do the OCRing based on these settings.
Many thanks!

Here's a scan of the first program:
The book did fall apart, as Lardo predicted, so there are some slanted pages. Do you want to see what you can make of this, before I do the rest, in case I need to rescan this part?

dv8

Post by dv8 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:55 pm

Good news! We have a successful OCR of the first listing.

I had to split the images into separate left/right pages so they could be rotated independently, but apart from that it was smooth sailing.

Now comes the "fun" part, checking for errors.

Could you also scan the page of text that comes before the listing. We should probably get the 'blurb' for each game OCRed as well.

Thanks,
Paul.

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:21 pm

Excellent! Speaking as a bit of a Lovecraft fan I am looking forward to giving this one a go.
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:51 pm

dv8 wrote:Good news! We have a successful OCR of the first listing.
Great!
dv8 wrote:I had to split the images into separate left/right pages so they could be rotated independently
Yeah, this is because the book is falling apart, and often I couldn't align two facing pages properly without risking tearing one of them.
dv8 wrote:Could you also scan the page of text that comes before the listing. We should probably get the 'blurb' for each game OCRed as well.
Here are some more scans:
Let me know if I need to rescan any pages.

Last edited by lurkio on Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:57 pm

lurkio wrote:Here are some more scans ...
Updated -- more scans added above (pp. 43-60).

iamaran

Post by iamaran » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:03 pm

Good work everyone!

dv8

Post by dv8 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:52 pm

lurkio wrote:Yeah, this is because the book is falling apart, and often I couldn't align two facing pages properly without risking tearing one of them.
No probs. It was easier to proofread as single pages anyway, so I'll probably split up all the scans like this from now on.
lurkio wrote:Here are some more scans:
Let me know if I need to rescan any pages.
Thanks. Will do.

dv8

Post by dv8 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:01 pm

Okay then, here's the first game.
Arkham-Innsmouth.zip
(9.89 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Now we need some volunteers to test it. I've given it a quick go and already found (and fixed) a couple of errors in the original listing :roll:

ARKHAM-INNSMOUTH AND BEYOND

This long and intricate adventure by Stephen Loughran is based on the fantasy writings of H. P. Lovecraft, who wrote eerie horror stories about mysterious long-dead civilisations and all-powerful evil gods out to destroy you at the mere mention of their name. Though not in the sword-and-sorcery vein, this scenario is just as exciting — anything might happen . . .

Your aim is to get all the money you can, then find safety. The commands can be entered in upper or lower case. Instructions are included in the program.

There is a feature for disc users — you can create macros. Macros are used when you wish to save a ‘routine’ , such as the commands to go into a creature’s lair and kill it. If you enter ‘MACRO killcrea’ , enter the commands to kill the creature and then enter ‘END MACRO’ — the routine will be stored on disc. This is useful if you go on to another part of the adventure and are ‘killed’ because you can enter the creature’s lair and kill it just by typing the command ‘killcrea’. These macros, are stored on disc — if you do not have a disc interface you need not enter the lines followed by a colon (:) which deal with macros.

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:40 pm

I have played for about 10 mins without issues. Or much progress... It’s a classic 80’s text adventure - difficult and obscure! At least for me anyway. :lol:
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, Acorn 6502 coproc

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:34 pm

Lardo Boffin wrote:I have played for about 10 mins without issues. Or much progress... It’s a classic 80’s text adventure - difficult and obscure! At least for me anyway. :lol:
I thought (when I was doing conversions to our platform) about doing "The Mural" as you mention difficult and obscure, and this title certainly matches both of those words. Current availability: CPC and ZX ranges only.

The thought of running through all the testing phases of this particular title after building it put me well of. :D
Andy

* NEW * The Jetset Willy and Manic Miner community :)

Adventure games ported across to the BBC (in progress) as soon as I can find some time!

leenew

Post by leenew » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:14 am

Just a quick THANK YOU! =D> to dv8, Lurkio, Lardo Boffin, and everybody else involved in saving these games :D
I will get round to helping with the testing as soon as I get a bit of free time [-o<
Lee.

dv8

Post by dv8 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:14 am

Fixed a few errors in Arkham. Here's the updated disc image:
Arkham-Innsmouth.zip
(9.88 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:40 pm

I have certainly found a few interesting ways to die!

iamaran

Post by iamaran » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:46 pm

I will help too, but bit pushed for time this week, so maybe the next game.

dv8

Post by dv8 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:20 pm

After much cursing and head scratching I've finally managed to reach the end of Arkham.

All the issues I found have now been fixed so here is (hopefully) the final version of the game.
Arkham-Innsmouth.zip
(9.9 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
If anyone else finds any problems during their playthrough let me know and I'll sort them out. For now though, I'm going to move on to the next game.

dv8

Post by dv8 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:10 am

Here is the second game from the book.
SixKeysOfTarkus.zip
(2.13 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
THE SIX KEYS OF TARKUS

After many days of travel over the northern wastes, you have arrived at the mountains of Tarkus. Barren and windswept, these were once the home of a warrior race who perished long ago. The halls of Tarkus are your destination; there you must free an errant god's soul.

Many years ago the people of Tarkus cast great and powerful spells over their kingdom to ward against the gods who wished to control their destiny. Once the Tarks had disappeared their land became the dungeon of the gods. Loki had angered Odin once too often — he had been taken to Tarkus by fighting men and locked inside a casket in the deepest room of the maze (the capital of Tarkus).

Thousands of years later the gods decree that Loki has served his sentence and they choose you to be his liberator. You must go into their underground city and roam the labyrinth of chambers searching for the six keys that open Loki’s box. Then you must find the hidden room and release Loki from his prison.

A hint before you enter the halls of Tarkus: map your progress or you will lose your way and wander around Tarkus for ever! Good luck!

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:32 am

dv8 wrote:Here is the second game from the book. SixKeysOfTarkus.zip THE SIX KEYS OF TARKUS
Many thanks for this! Excellent!

So, it seems that my scans of Tarkus were fairly workable, then? If so, I'll get on with scanning the rest of the book ASAP.

=D> =D>

dv8

Post by dv8 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:01 am

lurkio wrote:So, it seems that my scans of Tarkus were fairly workable, then? If so, I'll get on with scanning the rest of the book ASAP.
Yep, Tarkus and Bugbuster OCRed okay so you're good to go with the rest of the book.