Which games from other platforms did you wish was on the BBC?

on-topic Acorn-related news and discussions not covered by the other forums
sbadger

Re: Which games from other platforms did you wish was on the BBC?

Post by sbadger » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:01 pm

jgharston wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:17 am
When I was teaching at Camp Beaumont we they had two suites of BBC Masters and two suites of Commodore 64s. The C64s seemed to be used mostly for games, the Masters for programming, office applications, and art.

However, there was one game on the C64s that I particulary noticed, and ever since have tried and failed to remember or find out what it was called. It was a multi-screen plan-view moving character thing (think Atic Atac) where you were some sort of tortoise-like reptile searching through caves for (I think) food and your eggs and hatchlings.

I wish I could remember what it was called.

turtle jump?

turtle toyland?
So many projects, so little time...

rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:10 pm

Would have like to have seen a version of Civilisation. I still play from time to time the original DOS version with Dosbox and D-Fend Reloaded.
Richard B

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:13 pm

sbadger wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:39 pm
Zarch (Micro User Aprils fools?)
Acorn User April 1988 p133:
BBC Micro Zarch.png
BBC Micro Zarch.png (91.07 KiB) Viewed 292 times

alex_farlie

Post by alex_farlie » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:37 pm

sirbod wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:13 pm
sbadger wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:39 pm
Zarch (Micro User Aprils fools?)
Acorn User April 1988 p133:
BBC Micro Zarch.png
Well there was "Virus" on the Spectrum so... maybe not that far-fetched...

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:21 pm

Some of the Freescape games (Driller / Total Elclipse from Incentive) would possibly work reasonably well on the 'Beeb.

Saboteur (Durell Software) may also of been one that should of possibly been 'dragged over'

Loads of simpler platform games too like Frankenstein (PSS Software) or BombJack (Elite) too.

Not sure what else to suggest :D , Wheelie (Microsphere) would be quite good and it seems half plausible to do this as it does not appear to be a mass CPU straining scrolly either.

Moving on from that isometric games like Sweevo and Hydrofool (Gargoyle/FTL) amongst others given KnightLore ported over so so well to the 'Beeb , these two would likely be the same.
Last edited by AndyF on Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

* NEW * The Jetset Willy and Manic Miner community :)

Adventure games ported across to the BBC (in progress) as soon as I can find some time!

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:25 pm

AndyF wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:21 pm
Saboteur (Durell Software) may also of been one that should of possibly been 'dragged over'
I would've hoped for some of their earlier releases, Harrier Attack and Scuba Dive. I have a feeling one of them was briefly advertised but nothing came of it.
AndyF wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:21 pm
Loads of simpler platform games too like Frankenstein (PSS Software) or BombJack (Elite) too.
Both Bomb Jack and Ghosts and Goblins were briefly advertised, again nothing ever materialised.
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

Commie_User

Post by Commie_User » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:36 pm

Maybe perhaps this....

Not because I think it looks any good but it would have put Benny back where he once belonged - the BBC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WHxqfZ9dJM

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:56 pm

Pernod wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:25 pm
I would've hoped for some of their earlier releases, Harrier Attack and Scuba Dive. I have a feeling one of them was briefly advertised but nothing came of it.
They are both quite good games although I'm terrible at them. I wrote a cheat for Scuba actually allowing you to pass through the rocks/background! :lol: More useful than it sounds. Harrier Attack I first saw on the Amstrad if I remember correctly. I do now own the ZX version of said game too.

Good suggestions though and excellent candidates. =D> I thought about Critical Mass as I recall enjoying playing that 'back then' but when I revisited it a few months ago I found it lacked gameplay. Sigma7 would be another candidate (possibly M128 though so you could get it all in, in one go maybe) but its a bit boring I found, nice enough game (credit to the coder, I could never ever write anything like that) just a bit boring. Thanatos might of worked though but again I found 'not a lot to actually do' with it. I thought about Turbo Esprit as well as that was popular.
Pernod wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:25 pm
Both Bomb Jack and Ghosts and Goblins were briefly advertised, again nothing ever materialised.
Bomb Jack would of been not *that* difficult to do I think, all things considered. G+G I guess so or Ghouls/Ghosts perhaps. I only say that as I saw someone had managed to port SkoolDaze from the Speccy to the Oric a while back (so that's Z80 to 6502) , I think there's also a third party Amstrad version of that as well. I don't think that game would work too well on the 'Beeb though unless it was in mono due to the resolution concerns, either that or four colours maybe.

I really must grab a copy or three of some mid 80's Micro User or similar I used to buy it occasionally back then despite said machines being well out of my price range and my age at the time did not help either! It is quite nice to look back though at the old adverts too I think as well as read up on relevant articles.

I briefly considered some MikroGen titles, the Wally Week series would maybe of worked albeit in less colours perhaps. Mind you their Amstrad versions are a bit erm 'blocky' but play nicely enough.
Andy

Adventure games ported across to the BBC (in progress) as soon as I can find some time!

RobC

Post by RobC » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:22 pm

AndyF wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:56 pm
Bomb Jack would of been not *that* difficult to do I think, all things considered.
My port is pretty much complete in terms of levels and graphics but I've still not ported all of the enemy logic. I did revisit it a few weeks ago and go the robots appearing when they should. It was definitely doable though - I cheat by loading the background from disk on each level but it could have run from tape using fewer colours (or even some vdu streams to draw simpler backgrounds).
AndyF wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:56 pm
G+G I guess so or Ghouls/Ghosts perhaps. I only say that as I saw someone had managed to port SkoolDaze from the Speccy to the Oric a while back (so that's Z80 to 6502) , I think there's also a third party Amstrad version of that as well. I don't think that game would work too well on the 'Beeb though unless it was in mono due to the resolution concerns, either that or four colours maybe.
I'd love to see Ghosts & Goblins on the Beeb. The Amstrad version is okay and the Beeb has pretty similar graphics capabilities (except for a more limited palette). Looks like the Amstrad does the equivalent of mode 2 with 4 colours background and 3 colours + mask foreground for EOR sprites.

The Amstrad version of SkoolDaze is in the equivalent of mode 1 with monochrome for the main display. It doesn't look too bad but not as good as the original or Oric version. Maybe the Oric logic and Amstrad graphics could be cobbled together to make a Beeb version?

I think some of the Atari 800 ports of Spectrum games work by using an interpreter/recompiler to convert the Z80 code to 6502. Something similar for the Beeb might make porting games easier.

chinnyhill10

Post by chinnyhill10 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:12 pm

Which game do I wish was on the BBC?

Well the Atari 8 bit has just had a superb port of Stunt Car Racer. As a Geoff Crammond game it seems to me that if the A8 guys have the raw 6502, wouldn't it be lovely to get Stunt Car Racer onto the Master?

chinnyhill10

Post by chinnyhill10 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:15 pm

RobC wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:22 pm

I think some of the Atari 800 ports of Spectrum games work by using an interpreter/recompiler to convert the Z80 code to 6502. Something similar for the Beeb might make porting games easier.
Be warned, this is how games like Feud run on the Atari 8 bit. They run like crap.

Whereas, say, something like Head Over Heels had a proper line by line translation from Z80 to 6502 and then to 68000. The oddity of Head Over Heels is the guys who did the 68000 didn't know Z80 but did know 6502, so they used that. Hence why the 6502 and 68000 versions share some quirks.

RobC

Post by RobC » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:33 am

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:15 pm
Be warned, this is how games like Feud run on the Atari 8 bit. They run like crap.

Whereas, say, something like Head Over Heels had a proper line by line translation from Z80 to 6502 and then to 68000. The oddity of Head Over Heels is the guys who did the 68000 didn't know Z80 but did know 6502, so they used that. Hence why the 6502 and 68000 versions share some quirks.
Thanks - I think the only ones I've seen are Pentagram and Gunfright and they seem okay.

Of course, you can always use a 300MHz 6502 co-pro on the Beeb which should sort out any performance and memory issues!

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:24 pm

'Worse Things Happen At Sea' (Spectrum) is quite original and would likely suit the 'B very well all in all

Booty (Spectrum/Amstrad/CBM) is another candidate that is a fun game that would also likely work well.
Andy

marcusjambler

Post by marcusjambler » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:37 pm

I'd like to see quartet, xybots, gauntlet and alien syndrome [-o< [-o<
But I think they are all 68000