The BBC Micro In Pixels

on-topic acorn-related discussions not covered by the other forums
Dave_E

The BBC Micro In Pixels

Post by Dave_E » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:07 pm

I recently got ahold of the first of the ZX Spectrum In Pixels books. It's quite a nice glossy book with a number of interviews with those who created arcade games back in the day and also around 90 games with screenshots, poster art and a write up of the game (about 9-10 lines).

It's basically a coffee table book that you can dip in and out of.

I was thinking of perhaps writing one for the BBC Micro in the same style. I was wondering what interest level would be like. Early (limited) research indicates that to print 200 copies of the book with the same style of colourful pages would cost about £2,000 which would mean it would need a £10 RRP to break even, but probably would be about £14.95 in actuality. You would of course get yet more opinionated "Dave E" in the text, although I would hope to also track down some of the authors of Beeb games and pay them to contribute too.

What do people think?

Dave_E

Re: The BBC Micro In Pixels

Post by Dave_E » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:08 pm

Here's a link to what:

https://fusionretrobooks.com/

sell for the Speccy and some other computers.

kieranhj

Post by kieranhj » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:06 pm

I'd definitely sign up for one of those. Have you thought about Kickstarter as a means of raising the necessary funds?

On a similar note, it'd be nice if the RetroGamer guys did a special collection of all their Beeb articles as they have done for Atari, Speccy & C64.
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

Dave_E

Post by Dave_E » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:25 pm

It might be an option, although I figure that most of the audience for such a book would be forum members here. ;-)

FourthStone

Post by FourthStone » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:16 pm

Great idea, I'd be keen for a copy :D

Dave_E

Post by Dave_E » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:11 pm

Ok, that's great to have two people so far. I'll have to have a think about how to get more people interested though.

kieranhj

Post by kieranhj » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:45 am

Dave_E wrote:Ok, that's great to have two people so far. I'll have to have a think about how to get more people interested though.
There's the Beeb / Acorn FB page obviously. That's why I was suggesting Kickstarter. They take a cut but it encourages people to put their money where their mouth is and also useful for promotion & sharing. People sign up for stuff when they see other people have..

I'm no typesetter or copywriter but happy to help with logistics if any use? Would be an interesting / fun exercise to list out the developers of the day that would be nice to feature and whether we (the forum) have contact details.
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

Dave_E

Post by Dave_E » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:58 pm

I'm still musing on this but I see that around 250 now read this thread but didn't express any interest...

If you would be interested, it would be great if you'd just add "I'd be in" to this thread. It'll give me at least *some* idea...

simonm

Post by simonm » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:14 am

Yep! Would even consider paying even £20 for such a shiny thing.

JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:22 am

I'd be interested.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:14 am

And me . . .

Dave H :D

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:18 pm

I'd be interested too. I've been wondering why there hasn't already been a book like this out for the Beeb, whereas the Speccy and C64 have had a little flurry of them. I presume it's down to the original price of the Beeb which meant it wasn't ever gonna be as popular in the home as those other micros and therefore didn't ever build as large a community of home gamers -- hence the lack of an equivalent "Beeb nostalgia" market..? Maybe?

There's also the fact that some of the Beeb games that people remember seem to be the ones they played at school -- Granny's Garden, Magic Telephone and L--A Mathemagical Adventure being prime examples. So I wonder if any book on Beeb games published today would have to include that sort of eduware, as well as the more obvious arcade and action titles?

I also wonder (gosh I'm doing a lot of wondering today!) whether the Beeb didn't perhaps just attract a different type of user -- one who saw its potential for hardware hacking, interfacing, and generally more "serious" office/educational/industrial usage than might have been true of Spectrums and Commodores. Perhaps there are, and always were, just fewer Beeb gamers out there..?

Not trying to put you off this project, Dave! Just musing aloud. :-k

I'd personally love to see this sort of book for the Beeb.

:idea:

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:00 am

kieranhj wrote:On a similar note, it'd be nice if the RetroGamer guys did a special collection of all their Beeb articles as they have done for Atari, Speccy & C64.
They have, but not (so far as I know) a printed version - guess that is what you meant.

@Dave_E - I'm interested, too. :D

Never had a Spectrum (or C64 etc) BITD, but I do enjoy reading the retro publications.

Dethmunk

Post by Dethmunk » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:00 pm

I always thought there should be an ACORN coffee table book similar to the Speccy/C64/Atari ones out there. :D

aerworuld

Post by aerworuld » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:38 pm

I'd be up for that, especially if there's a good dollop of Elk content in there ;-)

Stainy

Post by Stainy » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:35 pm

Me too... maybe do a flip.. one side BBC, the other... Electron

Dethmunk

Post by Dethmunk » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:42 pm

Make sure there are plenty of great screenshots, maybe some BBC/ELK compare shots, features on the games (Elite could be a book on its own LOL) REVs, Repton, Superior Software, Peter Johnson, the Sinclair rivals, the BBC contract, famous coders, iconic games, game maps, sprite pages, iconic Box Art?!? Ultimate games. Jesus the list goes on. If ZX Spectrum and C64 can have one then Acorn have just a much material. I'd add in the ATOM and MASTER, do a history of Acorn and the hardware. :-)

fwibbler

Post by fwibbler » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:43 pm

I'd be interested in this please.
Cheers!

Dave_E

Post by Dave_E » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:38 am

Cool, well there seems to be enough interest for me to start at least scouting out the idea further...

finisterre

Post by finisterre » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:29 pm

You've got a sale here too.

Phantasm

Post by Phantasm » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:33 pm

I've got all 3 of the ZX Spectrum in pixels books (as well as quite a few other similar retro related books).

It had occurred to me that the Acorn machines seem to be notably missing in the flurry of retro computer books that seem to be around at the moment.

The only book i've managed to find that is primarily aimed at the Acorn enthusiasts is this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Now-Chips-Are- ... inw_strp_1

It's a shame as there were some great games on the BBC/Electron. I'd definitely be very interested in seeing something akin to the ZX Spectrum in pixels books. You'd have sale from me for sure - also if anyone knows of any other similar books already out there let me know.

Return to “general”