Today I received.....

on-topic acorn-related discussions not covered by the other forums
AndyMc1280

Re: Today I received.....

Post by AndyMc1280 »

Some work, some don't. I got this ps2 keyboard/mouse extension from amazon for my R260. Seems fine

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EUAO3FY/ ... 8W4NCXNAMB
KayBur

Post by KayBur »

Finally the Royal Gourmet CC1830F grill I ordered came. Here is its description. I ordered it a month ago, there were some problems with delivery, I still did not understand which ones. But the main thing is that I already have a grill and it's time to open the barbecue season and make up for lost time.
piemmm

Post by piemmm »

One of these (yes the cje ebay one, I feel dirty).
IMG_0422.jpeg
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

I have one of those in my A4000. It is only the 1MB one but it is quite cute - runs Turbo Pascal 6 really well. :D
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

piemmm wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:48 pm
One of these (yes the cje ebay one, I feel dirty).IMG_0422.jpeg
Very groovy. There was one on eBay a few weeks ago I was bidding on, but went for $$. Impressive little thing.
piemmm

Post by piemmm »

Think I saw that one, I was going to bid but forgot and missed it. There's an A3000 on there for silly money now. eBay is dangerous for me when I'm bored and looking at retro 'stuff'.
Andy1979

Post by Andy1979 »

SCART cable for my A3010 from CJE Micros - impressive given I only ordered it yesterday afternoon.
IMG_2441.jpg
Bit surprised at how thin the video cable is (guess that will teach me not to be lazy and make my own) but seems to work OK into a SCART to HDMI adapter box (one of the metal cased £20 ones off Amazon) and a standard 1080p monitor. Not the sharpest picture, but perfectly usable.
IMG_2463.jpg
IMG_2465.jpg
This means I can keep the A3010 out of the loft, as I won't always need to use my AKF30 that there's no room for elsewhere.
Leew

Post by Leew »

...Fathers day gifts from my lads. They know me so well.

Electronics and booze what a great combination. I will refrain from having a tipple prior to building the DIY Oscilloscope though :-D :-D :-D

IMG_20210620_100624_1.jpg
Lee W
------------
Proud owner of many Electrons, some Beebs, a couple of Archies, some Commodore 64s, Amigas, Atari STs and an Atari Falcon 030
Lemmings are for life, not just the 90's... https://www.lemmingsworld.me
roland

Post by roland »

Please let us know how the oscilloscope works. I got two books (non computer), a case for my iPad, and traditional socks, shoes and a very nice breakfast with bacon and eggs :lol:
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

Leew wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:32 am

Electronics and booze what a great combination. I will refrain from having a tipple prior to building the DIY Oscilloscope though :-D :-D :-D
Yes if you build it whilst drinking, the traces go all wobbly!! :wink:
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

A JLCPCB motherlode :shock:
  • A silly amount of RetroKit Ultimate VIDC enhancer boards - was the same price for 5 as for 30. Been waiting over a year for Paul (are you OK Paul?), so just decided to build some myself :) (May have a few populated boards to sell too, depending on parts). These were built by pulling the Eagle data in to Altium and generating the Gerbers from there - so not guaranteed yet.
  • Updated ArcFlash RiscPC/A30x0/A4000/A7000 adapter. Not confirmed it works, but it sure fits correctly now, on a quick A4000 test and has been quickly "notched" so it should fit an A7000 now. This was generated by pulling the KiCad in to Altium, shoving the ROM 1 left by 0.05", tweaking board outline (notch) and redoing all the tracks that required moving.
  • Updated A300 backplane, with proper spade holes this time (!), removed CoPro lines as per IanS guidance (Improved layout thanks to this too) - and I sprang for ENIG, to help with the soldering.
  • Another batch of POSTbox boards. I'll build these "at some point" - I've the appropraite CPLD/MCU parts already, thankfully.
PCB blanks will be available at cost+postage once I've tested each design. PM if interested. POSTboxes will be available built+tested via the existing queue.
IMG_E6223.JPG
Yes, it fits an A4000 at last!
Yes, it fits an A4000 at last!
AndyMc1280

Post by AndyMc1280 »

IanJeffray wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:29 pm
A JLCPCB motherlode :shock:

[*]Updated ArcFlash RiscPC/A30x0/A4000/A7000 adapter. Not confirmed it works, but it sure fits correctly now, on a quick A4000 test and has been quickly "notched" so it should fit an A7000 now. This was generated by pulling the KiCad in to Altium, shoving the ROM 1 left by 0.05", tweaking board outline (notch) and redoing all the tracks that required moving.
*Mumble Mumble A3010* *Mumble* :lol:
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

First delivery of two - PCBs from JLBPCB. Just need to test one of each and then full production 8)

IMG_1391.jpg

Dave H.
walkerworks

Post by walkerworks »

Looking forward to buying them when they're ready to go. :D
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

daveejhitchins wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:54 pm
First delivery of two - PCBs from JLBPCB. Just need to test one of each and then full production 8)
Did you manage to get the fingers chamfered with JLC? I never have.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

IanJeffray wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:38 pm
daveejhitchins wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:54 pm
No, they say they don't have the equipment :? Not sure why, it's simple enough! Maybe they don't have a big enough call for the process! I'm wondering if I could rig something simple up?

Dave H.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

daveejhitchins wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:44 pm
IanJeffray wrote:
No, they say they don't have the equipment :? Not sure why, it's simple enough! Maybe they don't have a big enough call for the process! I'm wondering if I could rig something simple up?
Urgh. It's there as an option on their site still though...
Capture.PNG
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

IanJeffray wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:55 pm
daveejhitchins wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:44 pm
IanJeffray wrote:
Urgh. It's there as an option on their site still though...

Capture.PNG
The Gold fingers are just enig - I asked about Hard Gold and it was a no-no. I usually get my boards through Techbridge - But it's an extra £50 for the Hard Gold. I'm talking to Henry, at Techbridge, about the £50 covering 4 designs - work in progress . . .

Dave H.
danielj

Post by danielj »

daveejhitchins wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:34 pm
The Gold fingers are just enig - I asked about Hard Gold and it was a no-no. I usually get my boards through Techbridge - But it's an extra £50 for the Hard Gold. I'm talking to Henry, at Techbridge, about the £50 covering 4 designs - work in progress . . .
It is just ENIG - but they do chamfer them:
chamfer.jpg
Hard to see as my phone does not want to do macro pictures of the edge of a PCB, but I can definitely detect, with my fingers, non-sharp edges on the connector edge as opposed to the rest of the PCB.

(Edit: I should add, these are from about 4 years ago though)
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Thanks Daniel . . .

I'll try specifying both for my next order and see what comes back . . .

Dave H.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

This one (out of focus!) is via Tecbridge:
IMG_1394.jpg

Dave H.
klintworth

Post by klintworth »

An awesome piece of kit for those Valiant Turtle owners missing the original IR Communicator box. This modern equivalent also has buttons for off computer work, so useful for testing calibration etc. My Turtle ending up going in circles - close examination showed one of the wheel mounts was broken due to school abuse in a former life!! Now fixed, I hope!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114838177632
Disclaimer: I'm not connected to the seller, just a happy purchaser!! :D
IMG_3780.jpg
IMG_0191.jpeg
BBC B Issue 4 & 7, BBC B (USA), BBC Master, Electron, BBC Master Compact, Olivetti PC128S, Castle A7000+, A3020, Valiant Turtle
piemmm

Post by piemmm »

This. Because I'm stupid and need to distract myself from looking at IMSAIs on eBay.
IMG_0468.jpeg
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

piemmm wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:30 pm
This. Because I'm stupid and need to distract myself from looking at IMSAIs on eBay.IMG_0468.jpeg
Whatisit? Econet to ...
piemmm

Post by piemmm »

sorry - pi4. yes, yes, I've already got depressed looking at the econet sauce as to why ROS is basically stuck in history.

It'll look something like this when it's done (and whatever b*ggery needs to be done to the econet module to make it talk over i2c which I'm already regretting
IMG_0469.jpeg
).
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

...this A310 with Atomwide RAM board. This seems like a "third way" of connecting the RAM on these boards... neither lifting the resistors (Simtec, IanS) nor connecting down to them with pins (IFEL) but duplicating them!
Attachments
IMG_6315.JPG
IMG_6316.JPG
IanS

Post by IanS »

This the one - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324673773965 ?

You could do that with Mine (or Simtec), but it leaves lots of memory chips connected to the data bus. The on-board chips are all disabled, but could stil cause issues in the future.

Is it 4MB on the expansion?, are the chips something like 514400's? edit: yes 514400's, I can read it on the ebay listing.

edit2: In 2MB mode it would have to leave the on-board ram connected. Odd to not see some buffering, as with 1MB on-board in 32 chips and 8 chips on the expansion, that is pushing the MEMC a bit on the row and column drivers.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

...this RiscTV card from Sprow - after he's fitted his impressive digital tuner upgrade !
He also sorted the nice keying upgrade. Roll on Wimbledon and Silverstone! \:D/
IMG_E6318.JPG
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

IanS wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:34 pm
This the one - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324673773965 ?
Yep... and now working. It was really trashed underneath - lord knows what had happened to the poor thing but it almost looks like someone deliberately scored a Stanley knife across the bottom of the board a few times - so many tracks obviously cut. But I do love working on these boards as the copper is so chunky and easy to fix up :)

EDIT: And here it is now with the MEMC1A and ARM3 rescued from a destroyed A5000 board. Winner winner. :) (Excuse my ugly PAL replacement)
Attachments
IMG_E6338.JPG
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

...all the oscillators! For ARM3 boards, and VIDC enhancers. But where's the bits for Andy's A3010 RAM boost? <grumbles at AliExpress>
Attachments
IMG_6377.JPG

Return to “general”