3D Printed Parts for BBC Micro

on-topic acorn-related discussions not covered by the other forums
Pledg

3D Printed Parts for BBC Micro

Post by Pledg »

Hi,

As part of a restoration project I have 3D printed some replacement keycaps for my BBC as my keyboard had missing keys. I've modelled the keys including the larger keys and spacebar complete with its fittings.

As part of the restoration I need to model and 3D print the black section that fits over the internal speaker. I don't have this item so was wondering if anyone could give me the dimensions for it so I can 3D model it.

My intention is to post the all the finished models on Thingiverse for the community to print as required.

My keycaps are only intended as a temporary replacement but being printed in black they work well.

see pic. not the finished article yet but coming along nicely. Also hand cut a black surround from 0.5mm plastic as also missing. This still needs a final cut/fitting.

Thanks in advance.

Pledg
Attachments
beeb.jpg
KayBur

Re: 3D Printed Parts for BBC Micro

Post by KayBur »

An interesting solution, but how long will these buttons last? Especially if you use it actively, then such buttons will fly apart quickly. Although as a replacement for the first time - excellent. But you need to look for either a new keyboard, or replaceable buttons that are more durable.
cardboardguru

Post by cardboardguru »

The toughness of printed parts depends on what plastic you use, and how thick you make the walls. I don't see any reason why printed buttons wouldn't last a long time. Especially as they are small and don't have delicate bits. But if they don't... you can just print a replacement!
tricky

Post by tricky »

I would imagine a little epoxy around the join between the outside of the bit that goes over the stalk from the switch and the key top would help if cracking is a worry.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

What about the function key strip - is that a blank with a temporary label underneath it?
Pledg

Post by Pledg »

Just an update on some of the comments posted regarding the 3D printed keys. I did this out of necessity really to get the machine up and running. The keys have been on for weeks now without issue. They don't jump off, wobble, snap etc and have been a good temporary solution to a perfectly working keyboard with the odd missing key.
The economics of buying a replacement keyboard or keys can sometimes be a little hard to swallow. I could have bought a replacement keyboard for £30 then I would have ended up with a perfectly working keyboard scrapped or have to sell it for parts to someone else I guess. Anyway I've now sourced 7 replacement keys for £15 with just the return key and space bar to purchase now.
The keys are printed as a single part stem and shell together so very unlikely to break unless you have fingers like hammers.
Attached is a few pics of the modeled keycaps.
As I've said once I've finished all these parts I'll put them on ThingiVerse.
I've also designed and printed a power socket plate that accepts a kettle lead to the back via a PC PSU power socket plug and switch as I didn't have a power supply. I've used the LPT44 power supply but I'll do a separate post on the fitting of that.
Attachments
keycap_06.png
keycap_05.png
Pledg

Post by Pledg »

The function key strip is a work in progress and needs a flame polished bevel to the front and some vertical end fixing brackets added.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

I'd definitely be interested in some space bar lugs, if they are separate pieces.
e668ecp

Post by e668ecp »

Would you be willing to print me off some space bar rises like on the attached? Happy to pay + postage etc

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_20210503_174219047.jpg
tricky

Post by tricky »

I think that the keys look great and I may try a few once you have them shared.
Do you know how to identify which switches they fit/keys they match?
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

Once the links are on thingiverse I shall add them to the other 3d parts on the hardware list.

Now if someone has a dual extruder machine you could print the letters straight into the keys.

What are you printing them in, ABS would probably be best long term but even PLA should be pretty useful for sometime, then just print again when they break.
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

In a similar vein, I have a Model B that's missing the clear acrylic function strip. As these are currently unobtainium (although I'm sure they'll pop up eventually on the usual sites), I'm wondering if I can reproduce one, either by hand or more likely, paying someone to laser cut a few. The only downside... I don't actually have an original to model from. In fact, the last time I actually held one of these was likely in the very early 90s at school.
I realise laser cutting wouldn't necessarily be able to get the right bevel on the front edge.

Would anyone be willing to measure, and/or photograph from a few angles the Beeb strip for me?

Not sure if it will come to fruition, but would be happy to share the results.

Return to “general”