Best Acorn History article or book?

on-topic acorn-related discussions not covered by the other forums
carlosanta

Best Acorn History article or book?

Post by carlosanta »

Hello,
can anybody suggest me the best article or book or something that cover the complete story of ACORN Computers, since its beginnings?

Thanks!
lurkio

Re: Best Acorn History article or book?

Post by lurkio »

I don't know of any single book that covers everything you mentioned, but this might be of interest, although it's a bit "academic" in places:
:?:
Last edited by lurkio on Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jms2

Post by jms2 »

This is a good web page - not much detail but strong on dates. http://www.mcmordie.co.uk/acornhistory/index.shtml
dgrubb

Post by dgrubb »

Wasn't somebody writing a book as part of a Phd thesis a while back? Maybe I dreamt it.
lurkio wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:55 pm
it's a bit "academic" in places
Well ... it is a school text. Good series though, and also highly recommend Racing The Beam and I Am Error.
davidb

Post by davidb »

dgrubb wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:58 pm
Wasn't somebody writing a book as part of a Phd thesis a while back? Maybe I dreamt it.
Richard Hallas, I believe. I think it didn't happen in the end. If he's not around in these forums then he can be found in the RISC OS Open forums.
dgrubb

Post by dgrubb »

Almost forgot about Mobile Unleashed: The Origin and Evolution of ARM Processors in Our Devices. See link for a free ebook copy. It's mostly about ARM but there's a lot of necessary coverage of Acorn in its later years too.
davidb wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:30 pm
Richard Hallas, I believe. I think it didn't happen in the end. If he's not around in these forums then he can be found in the RISC OS Open forums.
Ah, that's a shame.
Richard Hallas

Post by Richard Hallas »

For what it's worth, I haven't abandoned the idea. It was made impossible for me to continue at the time I embarked on it (2006–7) because, primarily, I was let down over the funding that I'd been promised. I did the preliminary MSc and ended up with ample material to write a really interesting chapter on the BBC Domesday Project (indeed, I could probably write a short book on that…). But the PhD would have allowed me to cover everything else, and that went pear-shaped.

Basically, I'd given up my regular work to pursue this project and was left in limbo without a job, without any regular income and without any clear way forward, because without the funding, Manchester wouldn't let me continue – even if I'd been able to fund myself out of my own pocket. And then, of course, the financial crash happened just after that and made any new funding look all the more unlikely.

I still want to do the project, though, and I'm now looking to see if there's any other way I can make it happen. No promises, obviously; I've already been burnt once by announcing my plans (which is something I generally prefer not to do). But I am still interested in pursuing this project, and I've recently been taking some steps to see if I can find a new way forward. So, watch this space. (Well, refresh your browser every few years too, I suppose…!)
Richard Hallas

Former editor of RISC User and Foundation RISC User magazines
Designer of the RISC OS cogwheel logo • Designer of the RISC OS 5 icon set
KayBur

Post by KayBur »

Richard Hallas wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:09 pm
For what it's worth, I haven't abandoned the idea. It was made impossible for me to continue at the time I embarked on it (2006–7) because, primarily, I was let down over the funding that I'd been promised. I did the preliminary MSc and ended up with ample material to write a really interesting chapter on the BBC Domesday Project (indeed, I could probably write a short book on that…). But the PhD would have allowed me to cover everything else, and that went pear-shaped.

Basically, I'd given up my regular work to pursue this project and was left in limbo without a job, without any regular income and without any clear way forward, because without the funding, Manchester wouldn't let me continue – even if I'd been able to fund myself out of my own pocket. And then, of course, the financial crash happened just after that and made any new funding look all the more unlikely.

I still want to do the project, though, and I'm now looking to see if there's any other way I can make it happen. No promises, obviously; I've already been burnt once by announcing my plans (which is something I generally prefer not to do). But I am still interested in pursuing this project, and I've recently been taking some steps to see if I can find a new way forward. So, watch this space. (Well, refresh your browser every few years too, I suppose…!)
Good luck. I hope you find a way to do what you are interested in learning, but you won’t be disappointed.

Return to “general”